April 29, 2024, 12:52:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mange?  (Read 1262 times)
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:44:08 pm »

the pup in question is about ten months old and stocky and masculine, about two months ago a female in the yard went into heat and he started acting obviously "agitated" and within a few days started to develop some bald spots on top of his face;
treated spots with nustock and dosed him some zimermec
scaly skin and thin hair persisted and started growing around right eye and now most of head
he seemed to be more irritated when using nustock so i stopped and started with the "petroleum" treatment
scaly skin has now spread to his legs and his ears are now red and stiff and he keeps scratching them.

i have also treated all my dogs, and yard with pyrethrin once monthly.

if you have any ideas as to what im dealing with or how to stop it, im all ears. he has avet appointment coming soon but due to finances i would prefer to cure this crap before i see her.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
lonewolf
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:58 pm »

You need to talk with hogaholicswife on here she sure helped me in gettin rid of the red mange in one of my bmcs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:41:41 pm by lonewolf » Logged

Fear is only a word in the mind of the weak!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:01:55 pm »

Thanks

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Shewolf
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:58:09 pm »

Give Bacon grease and sulfur a try....the petro works but the bacon grease and sulfur works better for mange since the dogs lick it off and get the sulfur in their system.  The sulfur won't hurt the dogs.  I've used it many times with great results.
JDJP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »

have you already figured out what type of mange it is?

Dylan
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:04 pm »

no i havent, but after a butt ton of research, im starting to think that its an allergy. he doesnt have the skin of a dog with mange, its more like moist, hot and red. plus his lymph nodes under his chin are swollen and ears are red. the list of symptoms that make me think allergies are to long to list.

as of now hes on tetracycline, omega 3 supplements, i bathed him with medicated shampoo and slathered him up with vetericyn, moved him to a concreted kennell and switched his feed to Victor

i hope all of this works, hes getting a skin scraping monday, i hope im right. if not hes getting nuetered at the same appointment Shocked

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:27:39 pm »

Red Mange is oily, odorless and doesnt cause them to itch but if it is infected it will get red and inflamed.  I use Zimectrin Gold, one click per 40lbs daily until the hair comes back, gradually reduce the doses at three week intervals as you may have to figure out a  life long regimen but the goal is to reduce he amount given to the lowest possible.  If they are infected antibiotics are needed to kill the infection, i do not remember the antis Forrest was on but will look when i get home.  

Sarcoptic mange smells, itches and is dry/scabby.  We use Paramite dip, which you can buy online for cattle/hogs and dilute 1tsp per gallon.  Dip dog and allow to dry, it has a 3 month residual but we dip a mangey dog every 1.5 months until cleared  up.   This mange is contagious so keep away from oher dogs.

Another thing it could possibly be is a Yeast infection from food allergies.  I recommend using Ketochlor shampoo, we bathe hem in it and alow  it to dry.

Good luck because skin problems are alot of time amd patience to clear up! And neutering will only clear up red mange and even then it may not clear it up completely, my vet said it could help since it is driven by testosterone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:30:27 pm by hogaholicswife » Logged
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:51:47 pm »

Thanks mam, I saw that red mange is oily earlier today but there are lots of things that make me hope for allergies.  I gotta say no matter what it is it really sucks, I hate the fact that the best puppy I've raised to date has a condition like this. But hey that's my luck I guess Angry 

Anybody want a balding started dog?   Grin. Just kidding, he ain't leaving my yard

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: