April 26, 2024, 05:23:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your best hog bait?  (Read 2651 times)
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »

I'm trying to keep some hogs on the hunting lease we have until turkey season is over and I can hunt them again, which will be May 1st. I can use corn after turkey season is over but not until then....I need something that will keep them close by that can't be turkey bait as well. I have an oil rub out of old carpet on a tree that they're using a lot when they're around. I was wondering if some of those commercial attractants such as 'hog wild' or 'rootin' juice' are worth buying. What's your thoughts on this?

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
weller44
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:11:25 pm »

A lot of people on here soak their corn in diesel to keep the deer off of it...not sure if it would work on turkey or not?

Trey Davis
Albany, Tx 
325-721-0091
RileyG
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »

I'm a firm believer in hog wild. been using it for a few years now trapping and works really well for me, also use just jello packets sometimes too
Brad W.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »

Here's a link that may offer some advice http://www.wildboarusa.com/Codys_Articles/Hog_Magnets.html . I've also had luck with using catfish bait or "stink bait". It's not a long term bait but it tends to draw them in for me. Hope that helps.
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »

Good ideas...thanks guys. I read the article and actually learned a thing or 2, never would have thought about 'jello'.... Keep the ideas coming....if you have a tried and true hog bait....by all means let me hear about it, I'm all ears.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »

fish guts and heads
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »

Since u can't use corn go get u some cow cake or the like and soak it is water and cherry jello or koolaid I use the cheap koolaid think it is flavoraid or something like that
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:38:20 am »

Sweet feed blood mixed set for 1week.
boarmom
Catch Dog

Nothing is impossible with God!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:58 am »

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/WildBoarUSA/-strse-template/blackgoldtestimonials/Page.bok

MANAGER FOR:
WILD BOAR USA/UGLY DOG RANCH
1139 US HWY 77 SOUTH
HALLETTSVILLE, TX  77964
866-307-1999
TurdBurd
Catch Dog

I am the Turd Burd!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:49 am »

soak about a 1/2 bucket of corn with some water and a bottle boones farm for about 2 days in the sun!!! strawberry hill seems to work the best on the hogs and on me!! LOL Grin
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 07:50:36 am »

I may have to try some black gold....I am for sure going to get some jello powder and use that, I can see that working really well. As soon as turkey yelpers get done I'm going to fill the feeders up with corn and get back to that. I appreciate all the hints,....some I've heard of, some I've not,....that's what I like about this forum.....a guy can get a ton of useful info on here......once again I do appreciate your help.....if anyone has more to add, by all means please do.

cujo72
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:51 am »

My wifes number 2z-tzu might work for you in a trap come and get him!!!!

" A bad dog eats as much as a good one"
Amokabs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

Hey firemedic, let me tell you, black gold works.
I have game camera set up, in one picture, i'm pouring black gold on a tree for a rub, about 0430 in afternoon, next photo is about 2 hrs later, boar rubbing right where i poured the black gold. Thought about sending those photos in to use for their advertising, but figured noone would believe it
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:36 am »

I may just have to get some of that black gold if it works that well. Cujo.....I want nothing to do with your wife's little dog,....she may be mean and would look me up.

Ladogos
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 09:09:33 am »

A pack of junky cur dogs and a couple of Dogos. LOL

www.Ladogos.com
Marvin Garrett
Amokabs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 12:23:19 pm »

Hey firemedic,  glad you asked that question, just checked my game cameras. While walking, i noticed some sign where i've previously set out corn. Also, my spots with cameras on them tore up,,, check cards, got a couple of boars making the rounds. The sow with shoats i've been watching must be coming into heat. I gotta keep em close, if they cross the valley and hit the golf course before i can hunt em, they'll be dead boars. Gonna try some of these ideas posted and will be off call in a few days, so i can get after them then. These boars aint from around here, cuz they aint flash shy. They stayed right on my only old flash camera and ate like,,,er pigs,,,, but my local pigs hit the road on a flash after having 40 of their buddys killed to golf course spotliting them.
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 08:28:50 am »

Maybe they'll stay around and you can get into them soon. The hogs we hunt in south GA have gotten light shy because so many people hunt them at night now....they're slick when it comes to that kind of thing......good luck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: