March 28, 2024, 11:53:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: supplies  (Read 2087 times)
ekirkland
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:19:10 pm »

What are supplies I need to have to start huntin with dogs. I have a garmin already just tryin to get some ideas to get me prepared.
BaronBoar
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:28:27 pm »

Ok well you are probably gonnna need one more than one garmin but you will need
strike dogs to find your hog (hounds, curs)
bay dogs it bay it up (Most strike dogs do this already) (hounds, curs)
and catch dog(s) i prefer two but thats just me (pits, dogos, bulldogs, some curs, mastiffs etc)
You should have vest and collars for all of them on the strike and bay dogs a light bay vest that will hold up good or just a collar and on a catch dog a collar and catch vest
a first aid kit for both u and ur dogs
pedilite
a good sharp hunting knife
some hobbles
pm for more info
ekirkland
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 09:01:54 pm »

Yeah I was gonna try to buy three pretty good dogs. I have a catch dog and he's catchin real good in a pen. I bought some hobbles. Now I guess I need to get the other stuff. I wasn't real sure if I needed to put vest on the strike dog or not. I was just gonna use it on the catch dogs...
ChaseG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:19:54 pm »

I kno a lot of people that don't run vests on their strike dogs. I believe it depends on the dog. If it's real gritty I would. I got one that is almost a catch dog that I'm bout to start runnin one on. It's your choice but in warmer weather I kno it's real tough on them. But it's all in what u prefer.
Also I usually carry a small backpack. Just makes it easier to keep what u need with u. I carry a staple gun. Wonderdust. Rope. Collars. Water. A light. Extra knife. I try to keep it lite. Just a tip. I'm no pro at this, just tellin ya what I carry

Chase Greenway
Greenville, Tx
brw7979
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member, WWT Offical Scorer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:29:15 pm »

I run a vest on my CD, and the rest of the dogs a cut collar. For the gear that I make sure I have with me or at least in my truck when I go is.
A good cut kit with just about anything you could need.
Two good knife's. One as a spare in the truck.
Flashlight. One in the truck as a spare.
Dog leads.
Water.
Cell phone.
Mule tape.
Camera.
Thats just a few thing. And this is some of the stuff that I make sure I have with me. Other folks may be different.

brw7979@yahoo.com
Cell-830-460-0405
ekirkland
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:03 pm »

10 4 like I said Im just started so I have know clue. I appreciate all yalls help
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 07:50:47 am »

Just me, but id go out with some guys/gals a few times and see whats involved.  That way you know what your looking at.  I vest one of my strike dogs and just collar the other.  Each dog is different.  however your guaranteed to need a cut kit!  Other than that its all about what you like.  Lots of people use different things.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:39:36 am »

I've learned the hard way that my Pawpaw was right when he said above all else carry a compass a zippo and a high quality pocket knife I've been in some bad situations and always felt better with those three things

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
t.wilbanks
Hog Doom

Trenton Wilbanks Daingerfield,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 09:47:30 am »

toilet paper!!
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:54:59 am »

LOL,, yes  toilet paper in the woods is dang shure priceless 

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:00:24 am »

toilet paper!!

X2!  A roll of shop rags is good for a lot of things!!!!

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
coyote hunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:43:00 am »

leads hobbles knife or knives  flashlite/headlite  cut gear such as vests an collars  a cut kit  extra clothes in the winter  a cellphone at least in the truck  extra leads  water water water  and maybe sum snacks an definitely somethin to start a fire with an keep it dry  i carry sum ziplock bags too  as u go along you will see things u will need for future hunts  a blanket or 2 an maybe some shop towels or towels of any sort and always have extra batteries for ure garmin and lights  a spare tire and jack and 4 way for ure truck   just think of any bad situation that u can get into and prepare for it  goodluck man 

bay tight, catch hard
coyote hunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

and if u dont vest ure strike dogs u may want to have one or two in the truck until u figure out if ure dogs need them  i just hope u dont find out u need them after its too late!

bay tight, catch hard
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:56:36 am »

toilet paper!!
X3 it is amazing all the things TP can be used for. Besides the obvious you can mark trails, clean stuff, and it makes starting a fire easier. I try to keep a roll in my truck all the time but my kids find it and find more fun things to use it for.

I put vests on all my dogs when I started. I was so glad too when I saw them get hit. Then once I decided to run one without a vest because it was hot. When the hog charged I knew I had just lost a dog. But amazingly the dog did some twisting jump, stopped the hog and kept baying. When I could not find a scratch on her I realized she could avoid getting hit without the vest. Plus the vest would rub the legs. Yes they help prevent cuts but if they get hit hard they can die too. So it is all about each dog.

Paint your gear with fluorescent paint. You will lose much less if you can see it. Hog dogging does not require camouflage but when you have things going crazy or you are tired you may leave stuff. Plus when you have to back track it is much easier to find what you dropped. Put painters tape over areas that you don't want to paint. Even a small amount of fluorescent paint makes a big difference when you are looking for your Garmin in the grass or where your knife fell. I paint any black knife handle. You get the idea.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
DoGgONit
Alpha Dog

423# scored 789.25 W.W.T.wieght class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »

a good shock collar system ,dont want them runnin something they shouldnt be !!

Eric Edwards (512)-673-0843
email:  scumgenocide@yahoo.com
LIVIN THE DREAM!!
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 09:10:00 am »

Along with all the other mentioned

Enough properties (acreage) to hunt with permission where there are hogs and enough acreage that you won't be crossing property lines, good relationship with the neighboring land owners of the properties you will be hunting, good relationship with your neighbors where you will be keeping dogs.

A vetrinarian that is hog dog friendly.

A knowledge of laws in your area about how you can keep your dogs (kennel size requirements, kennel licences ect, # of dogs you can keep on our land). Adequate shelter & alot of shade, and a good quality feed, knowledge of monthly maintenance of routine deworming for intestinal and heartworms.

Enough time to maintain your dogs, health, kennel cleaning, and keep them in condition/excersise when not able to hunt them.

knowledge and supplies to sew, staple, and treat wounds, cuts and abrasions

Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 05:59:14 pm »

Along with all the other mentioned

Enough properties (acreage) to hunt with permission where there are hogs and enough acreage that you won't be crossing property lines, good relationship with the neighboring land owners of the properties you will be hunting, good relationship with your neighbors where you will be keeping dogs.

A vetrinarian that is hog dog friendly.

A knowledge of laws in your area about how you can keep your dogs (kennel size requirements, kennel licences ect, # of dogs you can keep on our land). Adequate shelter & alot of shade, and a good quality feed, knowledge of monthly maintenance of routine deworming for intestinal and heartworms.

Enough time to maintain your dogs, health, kennel cleaning, and keep them in condition/excersise when not able to hunt them.

knowledge and supplies to sew, staple, and treat wounds, cuts and abrasions

This is the best response you have gotten so far.  And in my opinion you need these things before you start to think about dogs and gear.  Those allong with a few years tagging allong to learn the ropes will help you get started more than dog and gear  Just my 2 cents.

Waylon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: