April 27, 2024, 10:40:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pup ?  (Read 2155 times)
FL hogdogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:14 am »

I have a 9mo catxab. the problem im having is she will not leave my feet  . I have seen her as far as 50 yards, with my garmin. I have put her in a field with a 80 lb pig and she did really well. What Im wanting to know is, is there anything I could do to get her to stop humping my leg? or are me expectations to high? She also ran with other dogs but she will turn back around and and come to me. I can tell her to "get out" and she will run ahead then stop and wait... This is super frustrating to know she will do so well with the pig in front of her and then in the woods she just hangs out... Thanks in advance for any advice! Grin
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:53 am »

She is still young! Give her a little more time and put her on some more hogs.

sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:27:02 am »

You do know that not all dogs are going to turn out right?

John Esker
FL hogdogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:13 am »

I do know that all dogs wont turn out right... but I was wantin to know how to help stear her down the right path...
LionandBoarHunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:00 am »

if they like hogs like she does i give them a little chance but usually if they dont have the hunt they just dont got it time will tell she is still young i usually give mine till there about 18 months and then they better be getting some where Grin

They Call It The Hill Country I Call It Home !
The more people I'm around the more I like my dogs !!
ROOT HOG OR DIE
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:58:53 am »

Most dogs that I have seen that stay at your feet usually keep staying at your feet. Only thing to do is keep getting her on hogs and maybe hope the switch will turn on...

John Esker
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

Try penning her with an older dog that she likes that way when you go to the woods turn them both out an mayb she will follow the dog she's used to an it might give her some confidence to go farther away from you ,  I have a black an tan coon hound an she wouldn't leave to far away but when she final started using her nose good she would strike from walking with me an get gone so now she knows she can go out an find them by her self
FL hogdogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 05:42:29 pm »

Try penning her with an older dog that she likes that way when you go to the woods turn them both out an mayb she will follow the dog she's used to an it might give her some confidence to go farther away from you ,  I have a black an tan coon hound an she wouldn't leave to far away but when she final started using her nose good she would strike from walking with me an get gone so now she knows she can go out an find them by her self
So do you mean on the ride out to the hunt or at home? Reason I ask is I only have 1 catch dog and 1 help dog. This kinda makes it a little difficult for me. But my buddy that I hunt with has a dog that will go out and find her own hogs. Maybe ill just pen them up on the ride out... Thanks for the advice!
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:11:08 pm »

all good advice, the cat ab cross would seem to me more of a catch dog type or running catch dog.
 you know there are guys like my self that hunt horse back and go thru alot of dogs looking for a catch dog that will not go hunting.  
 so she may just be geared for a differnt job than you are wanting for her.   ussually your straight cat or cur dogs are the ones that want to go hunting..

like said she is still young  but i dont think she will ever make a long range type dog.. my .02
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:15:19 pm by craig » Logged

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:18:35 pm »

Did you pet her and play with her as she has grown up?

Lots of people don't realize by doing this they're actually training the dog to do just what yours is doing.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:00 pm »

Did you pet her and play with her as she has grown up?

Lots of people don't realize by doing this they're actually training the dog to do just what yours is doing.

ok, let me say i believe most of the time, if you baby a dog they will be more likely to be a tripping hazard but my oldest dog slept in my bed before i got married and had a steady whataburger diet and was heavily spoiled.  as soon as he is unclipped hes solid gone, and sometimes wont return for several hours. i think some dogs never get it some get better with time and for some, independence is a hardwired genetic trait.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:48 pm »

So do you mean on the ride out to the hunt or at home? Reason I ask is I only have 1 catch dog and 1 help dog. This kinda makes it a little difficult for me. But my buddy that I hunt with has a dog that will go out and find her own hogs. Maybe ill just pen them up on the ride out... Thanks for the advice!

i mean all the time at home, she may learn to to just run around with the older dog , she still young just give her time
FL hogdogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 07:20:10 am »

Thanks guys! I have to say yes she has been petted and played with her hole life by me and the family. like I said previously she is doing good in an open field and once my riley dog catches she is all over it. But I think you guys are right, she is young and I do need to keep her in the woods as much as possible. Last night I took her with the other dogs and when they heard something in the wood Riley and her were 100 yards quick so that was cool. But our catch dog cought a calf and the case was on to get his ass off... needless to say im glad no one elses was there cuz I felt like an idiot! now I know its not good to trash but she was right in the mix actuly trying to get the hefer I think she got steped on or rased and that just pissed her off more.... but finaly we got him off the calf with out mama gunning us over.... but where i was going with this is she seems game once another dog is there or my Riley dog is there...
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 09:23:45 am »

sounds like you should invest in a shock collar and do some trash breaking before you try and start pups with that pack..  just the cold hard truth. no disrespect. just trying to help out.

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:57 am »

Game and hunt are different.  It depends on what you want or expect out of the dog.  If your wanting a catchdog, hunt shouldn't really be important.

Probably some of the best bay pen dogs alive couldn't find their feed bowl if moved to the other side of the pen.

ok, let me say i believe most of the time, if you baby a dog they will be more likely to be a tripping hazard but my oldest dog slept in my bed before i got married and had a steady whataburger diet and was heavily spoiled.  as soon as he is unclipped hes solid gone, and sometimes wont return for several hours. i think some dogs never get it some get better with time and for some, independence is a hardwired genetic trait.

Some can handle extra attention, most cannot.

independence is a hardwired genetic trait.

Darn right it is, and I don't think it's something that can be taught...but I DO think it can be hindered with improper handling.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:50:31 am by Bryant » Logged

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:29 pm »

Darn right it is, and I don't think it's something that can be taught...but I DO think it can be hindered with improper handling.     <  I would take my BMC male with me checking traps and baiting when he was under 6 months, when he was 3-4 months he would dissappear when the truck door opened for a good 20-30 min. as he started getting around 6 months the time would get longer 45min- to a hour. I made the mistake of doing the on my lunch break and it got to where i had to call him back (big mistake) after calling him in a few time he started staying gone less and less time, now he's a year old and i have a hard time getting him to get gone by himself,,, with the pup trainer i have he'll go,,, but by himself leave and come back in 10min... it aggervating becuase i know i caused it.. just hope age will help get him back out of it..

From squeal to meal with one good stick!  Hunting is not a sport, It's a way of life...Danny Ward
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 01:45:29 pm »

You just gotta keep em on hogs tracks and either they will figure it out or just be a help dog!

Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »

I don't want anything to do with a dog that has to figure out HOW to hunt...I want one that just needs to figure out WHAT to hunt.  Effeciency in doing so comes with age.

The older I get, the more I look for the naturals.  I've owned, raised or seen very few dogs that wouldn't roll at a year to a year and a half old that ended up making the grade.

sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:24 am »

I don't want anything to do with a dog that has to figure out HOW to hunt...I want one that just needs to figure out WHAT to hunt.  Effeciency in doing so comes with age.

The older I get, the more I look for the naturals.  I've owned, raised or seen very few dogs that wouldn't roll at a year to a year and a half old that ended up making the grade.

I've got to that point now, if it's near me at a year old it's gonna get culled

John Esker
FL hogdogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 09:25:56 am »

Thanks for all of your advice guys! I will have to just give her a little time and see if she turns out. I really dont care eaither way if she hunts or catches... both would be nice but she hangs around the feet. So im with you guys is she will not be a long range dog lol! I will for sure keep her in the wood... I just will be looking for more of a cur or cat to make a hunt dog... and not start a pup get more of a finshed or close to it... again thank you for all your help and I hope every one of you have a Merry Christmas! Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: