April 25, 2024, 09:12:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airedale hog dogs  (Read 8252 times)
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:04 am »

I had one great one.  Easy handling, dog friendly, all around good dog.  He was a long range, cold nose trail dog, and mean.  This dog was around 65-70 lbs.  I would love to find another one.  Don't look at the big ones.  Buy a set of shears before you buy the dog.  The good shears will cost $100 or more.  I made a mistake by not trimming mine.
Most of the Airedales I have seen are show bred giants and useless in the woods.  Someone on Traditional working airedales forum, can find you a hunting airedale.  The prices are not hunter prices though.  Mine was free and was out of Georgia.  It was a registered dog, but since it was free I didn't get the papers.

Mine tore up every hog he found and killed the smaller ones out right.  He would fight and tear at a hog rather than catch or bay it.  He died of a heat stroke in Florida, doing just that.  The temperature was in the 70's that day.

Dan

"We are all on our way out...ACT ACCORDINGLY"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: