March 28, 2024, 01:24:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airedale hog dogs  (Read 8157 times)
REED
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:15 am »

Hi,

Does anyone know of anybody breeding good hunting airedales?  I am on several of the airedale boards and I am just trying to find out who else is out there breeding or running airedales.  Whether they are running coon, hogs or whatever.  I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Mark Reed
markreed1@yahoo.com
TxHogDoggin
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:30:29 am »

My brother runs a big male airdale cross. He's half walker half airdale. He is a damn good strike dog just not gritty. But if there is hogs around he will find them and let out the loudest hound bark you have ever heard.  He could be up for sale soon. He is trying to get a grittier pack started.

Caught hog.

The strength of the pack is in the dog, the strength of the dog is in the pack.

Cole Patterson
catchdog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »

I have one that's half BMC/Airedale. That's real good don't mind putting a tooth on a pig. I also have two walker/Airedale that are straight up catch as of now. I have hunted with some full blood Airedales two witch was straight catch the other would find and bay
jwdeltx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:38 pm »

Tx HogDoggin – Tell your brother that I have a cat/ridg cross that’s a finder /holder she will only bay a big hog a few barks and then brabs on. I’m a gun hunter and don’t need gritt.I will trade!! 979-758-4603.
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:35 pm »

I had a Airedale that we ran with our walker bear hounds and that dog would put anything up a tree. He was a mean bear fighting SOB.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
REED
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:12 am »

Ben,

Do you still have him?  Do you remember the breeding or breeder that produced him?

Thanks,

Reed
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:54:41 am »

Ill have to check on his breeding, but he came out of Washington state.

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
treeingratterrier
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:54 am »

I thought there was  group in Full Cry Magazine that had a monthly column devoted to hunting strains of Airdales, I used to run them and had a Orang strain from Tenn  kennel, they have to be sheared down here in south texas but there are some 85 pound females if u get into the actually hunted strains, they also are terrible about getting into  river to cool off down here and it makes them gator bait in the summer if your hunting grain feilds and they go down to cool off in the river, they will strike and bay and catch as good as any dog actually, it whats u are happy with, we used to cross them with Black Mouth curs when the male got ate by the gator, i had them for years until the 3 females all died off, good luck.  Dont buy any small show dog strain for sure.

Rat Terriers aka fiests  black white tans, solid black and tans,  solid red,  ratting, squirrel  varmit stock from ranch raised varmit dogs, 10 to 30 pounds  www.crossbowtexas.com (for sale)    www.imageevent.com/treeingratterrier
Sneaky Creek Kennel
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:57:07 am »

There was a guy in Cross Plains that had some Airedale/Plott pups up to give away. I went over there and picked one up he is a little stand offish not shy really just don't wanna be handled. Just by the way he acts now he's gonna be gritty and very independent.

Just cause it's simple don't mean it's easy!
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 03:53:31 pm »

The guy I hunt with had one a few years ago. I am not sure where he got him but he was a pretty good dog. He was kind of hot and cold--sometimes really good and sometimes not so good.

He was gritty and hard to cut.
red79
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:18:08 pm »

I have had 2 and hunted with about 5 or so most of the ones I have seen are long range and gritty I have one right now he is a quarter airdale 3 quarters cur he is real gritty and he is only 10 mouths old
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:04 am »

I had one great one.  Easy handling, dog friendly, all around good dog.  He was a long range, cold nose trail dog, and mean.  This dog was around 65-70 lbs.  I would love to find another one.  Don't look at the big ones.  Buy a set of shears before you buy the dog.  The good shears will cost $100 or more.  I made a mistake by not trimming mine.
Most of the Airedales I have seen are show bred giants and useless in the woods.  Someone on Traditional working airedales forum, can find you a hunting airedale.  The prices are not hunter prices though.  Mine was free and was out of Georgia.  It was a registered dog, but since it was free I didn't get the papers.

Mine tore up every hog he found and killed the smaller ones out right.  He would fight and tear at a hog rather than catch or bay it.  He died of a heat stroke in Florida, doing just that.  The temperature was in the 70's that day.

Dan

"We are all on our way out...ACT ACCORDINGLY"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: