April 27, 2024, 10:11:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Public service(Big Brother) anouncement...  (Read 778 times)
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:51:08 pm »

A while back, I was asked to come remove some hogs from a deer club.. when I got there, a clean cut, respectful young man was waiting on me, he looked at me and says, "you're Noah aren't you..", to which I says, "yep, I guess I am"..

I was oblivious to who this 6', 200# man was, but he went on to explain that I had taken him deer hunting when he was a child, and had profoundly impacted how he had grown up... It all came rushing back to me... this was the kid that had driven me crazy when I was a youth...his father was absent and his grandparents had requested that I spend time with the brat... I'm ashamed to admit that I hated, dreaded, even loathed every minute of it... the kid, just wouldn't shut up..... but, I did it anyways, because I'd been taught it was the right thing to do.

Point being.. this pain in the as$ kid grew up to be a productive, quality human being, that any father would be proud to call a son.   I'm not the kid's daddy, but I am now proud that he can say he looked up to me during those formative yrs.

This has completely changed my outlook on kids... until this event, I've avoided kids like this... finding them too stressful to work with.   Now that I have seen that these "problem children" can actually turn into productive human beings, my tolerance has greatly increased.

There's a Shooter Jennings song about "all my heroes turned out to be as$holes"... the older I get, the truer that becomes...  Food for thought...  always think about how you would like to have been treated when you were a kid looking for a hero.

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »

Good story, Noah.

I remember growing up one of the (many) quotes my Dad used to tell me was that a true leader leads by example.  I never knew this to be more true than when I had children of my own.  It's human nature that youngsters desire to mimic those who they look up to.  This has really made me learn to pay close attention to what I say and how I act.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: