June 16, 2024, 06:51:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: broke front leg  (Read 1607 times)
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:49:50 pm »

Anybody ever casted a dogs leg, ain't my dog but it ain't right to let him suffer so how in theory would I plaster cast it?

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
TX HOG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

I'd google it. Lol. Seriously
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:54 pm »

why not just splint it thats what the vet did to mine. i guess it depends on the break.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »

Its between the ankle and knee and smooth snapped!  If y'all think a splint will do it, that would be easier...

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

That is where my dogs leg was borke and it worked fine. good luck but it should be fine.
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:31:59 pm »

First set the break , then wrap it with something ( towel, shirt, rag) to keep the splint from rubbing, then I would use the tightest diameter PVC pipe I could, split the pipe in half and duck tape it in place, need enough padding to hold the leg in place but not cut off circulation to the paw.

From squeal to meal with one good stick!  Hunting is not a sport, It's a way of life...Danny Ward
BQM
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:31 pm »

My main stike dog broke his front leg half way between knee and paw took him to an old country vet and he had several size plastic splints that look like a big plastic spoon. The vet set leg back by feel slid mesh sock over leg and placed in splint packed cotton on top of leg and wrapped with tape. Vet said keep out of mud and I put him in cattle trailer and put trailer in barn for six weeks. The dog  has a knot where leg broke and little crooked he's not near the dog he was before leg got broke but he still finds plenty of hogs but gets out ran sometimes too. I called my usual vet and he said he would have to xray and see how bad was before he could set price I was scared it would be several hundred dollars at my vet, my hunting buddy told me about this old vet and I took dog to him. To put to sleep for procedure, splint, and some calcium supplements to help heal cost me $54. I was happy with results dog still hunts and is good pup trainer.
leonidas
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:19:06 pm »

First set the break , then wrap it with something ( towel, shirt, rag) to keep the splint from rubbing, then I would use the tightest diameter PVC pipe I could, split the pipe in half and duck tape it in place, need enough padding to hold the leg in place but not cut off circulation to the paw.

+++++++1
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:28:28 pm »

my daughter dropped my first catahoula when he was about 4 months old and his front right leg broke. I used a 1" pvc pipe split like above wrapped it all in guaze then some horse tape and by the time he chewed all the stuff off 3-4 weeks later he was fine.

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
jheffern
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:22:35 pm »

Keep the dog put up and it will heal iits self stitch got hit by a car lol I was mad at her so I took her to the vet to get her leg amputated that way she couldn't get in as much trouble. Well the vet wanted way to much so my cousin who works for a vet said just leave it alone and see what happens. Now you can't even tell she has a messed up leg. Give the dog five cc. Of pen aqueues every other day for six days.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:39 pm »

Thanks y'all, he's hooked up now. Chasing squirrels today on his PVC walking cast

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
jheffern
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:01 am »

Send me a pic
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:10:00 am »

Ill let him ride with us in a couple weeks, I forgot about when stitch got hit, this dogs about the same size as her. He's a lil pocket sized heeler.

All my crap is loaded I'm ready to hit the woods!!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:56 am »

glad to hear he's doin good

From squeal to meal with one good stick!  Hunting is not a sport, It's a way of life...Danny Ward
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: