March 29, 2024, 05:12:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catch dog to RCD???  (Read 1010 times)
fonzie
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:42:49 pm »

Ok so I have a  1 1/2yr pit bull mix real leggy dog he has caught in the pen few time and out in the woods like 3 times as a catcatch dog and he has caught on the ear everytime....took him out today for a walk at my friends property had him on the leash the whole time but I pet him lead he was hot on a track nose on the ground the whole time...I know he has  hogs there and I wanted to cut him loose jus to see what he would do but I had no tracking system on him.....so my question has anyone had a catch dog go to RCD?? And how did it work out?
skunkhounds
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »

ya i got pits that where lead in when i got them but now they are rcd and they find a few hogs on there on

Let's make a round
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:03:09 am »

I expect a catch dog to also hunt short range alone or with other dogs.  I find out if it will hunt before I get too much time and money involved.   
Mine check in more often than the curs and Jagds, so they work very well on small property.  They are my "quick hunt" dogs.
I've had a couple that could wind, off of a boat or truck, and blood trail. 
My experience is, most pits won't stick to a track.  They get so excited on scent that they start looking before finishing the track.  Adrenaline made them shorter range not ability.

Dan

"We are all on our way out...ACT ACCORDINGLY"
ckm
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:43:22 pm »

I have a working bred red nose pit named "red" and he started as lead in but he was always small like 32lbs and I was new to hunting dogs and still learning but when I got tired of him and my blue pit pulling on me I cut them loose and at the time I only had one other dog a bmc jyp pup so I dident have a good set to start with but I was gonna teach them how in the field and after he saw a few and chased and caught them he started winding on the ground / hood / off the top of my head or a tank dam and then even trailing then ranging out to the hogs and if he was by him self after catching a few and me not finding him he learned to bark three times no more no less then catch and the other pit would go catch and the bmc would show up and bark till I got there and I still run him to this day but with a garmin and only when I run straight catch but he wont quit a hog ever and ranges up to 1.89 so far and will run some track but mostly wind but hes very good at winding he still out strikes my curs and my ridge/cat every one says he lives still from dumb luck but hes has to run with full catch gear and only cool weather or night hunts and water hope this helps . keep on keepin on bud yee yeee!!!!!!

run em down , gun em down and truck em down !!!! swine time!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: