April 20, 2024, 07:30:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bulldogs vs stag hounds  (Read 7370 times)
okie hogger954
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 07:15:47 am »

Silverton they guy i got the female from said her daddy would kill a coyote by hisself and when in shape he could run for two miles at about 25 mph. and he sayed the mom was just a hot blood greyhound. apb is my catch dog and he catches hard and is very easy to handle in the woods. so i thank this will be good pups. but it will be a little while because her is only 4 months old.
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »

I have seen a 45# game bred red nosed pit catch a cow and bring her to a stop. I have seen others that weighed about 50 to 60 lbs, that did the same. I am talking about one on one...I do not think there are too many breeds out there that can do what one pit bull can do... pound for pound...

If a good stag can do that then he is one bad dog...

I have seen fairly tame cattle go to the ground from a cur dog lockin on, I have also seen some rank cattle stomp a mud hole in three dogs. I dont doubt one bit that a pit can bring down a cow, there is alot of dogs that can do it. Just the other day my 70 pound dogo was running lose while we were hunting. We were hunting a place with a bunch of inbred rank donkeys have been since I can remember. A Jenny came at my dogo, he nosed her and kept her there till I got there and called him off. Two days before that me and a buddy got on a big runner, my dogo put a stop on him, then the cur dogs joined. When I got there I watched this pig walk into the thick stuff with my dogo and a bmc on each ear, then a cat and my lacy on his nuts and rear. He went 900+ yards for 45 min with the dogs on him faster than we could keep up in the thick stuff before he finally scraped the dogs off and broke, then the dogs stuck with him for several hundred more yards before we cut off the bmc and my dogo at the county rd and my lacy went with him another mile after that. This was at 10 in the mornin and almost 90 degrees and totaled a 3 1/2 hours on the hunt. My point is, catching lifestock and hogs go hand and hand but they are still two different games.

My buddy who I was hunting with who is an avid game bred pit guy says he has never seen a pit that would still be alive after that hunt...

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
t.wilbanks
Hog Doom

Trenton Wilbanks Daingerfield,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »

Two days before that me and a buddy got on a big runner, my dogo put a stop on him, then the cur dogs joined. When I got there I watched this pig walk into the thick stuff with my dogo and a bmc on each ear, then a cat and my lacy on his nuts and rear. He went 900+ yards for 45 min with the dogs on him faster than we could keep up in the thick stuff before he finally scraped the dogs off and broke, then the dogs stuck with him for several hundred more yards before we cut off the bmc and my dogo at the county rd and my lacy went with him another mile after that. This was at 10 in the mornin and almost 90 degrees and totaled a 3 1/2 hours on the hunt. My point is, catching lifestock and hogs go hand and hand but they are still two different games.

My buddy who I was hunting with who is an avid game bred pit guy says he has never seen a pit that would still be alive after that hunt...

Sounds like you could use a couple pits yourself!!!  Shocked  Grin   ( Just poking fun!! )

Last weekend we had a bay going and cut the CD loose... it broke as soon as i let him go and we picked him up 1.3 miles from where the hog was bayed.... This is a 65-70 pound pit with a Guardian vest on.... and he was just fine, ready to go some more.... and it was almost 90 that day too...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:28:51 am by t.wilbanks » Logged
BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »

i have also seen a pit gyp run into a bay and it break picked her up 5 miles down the road at farmers house all bloody no cuts fully geared july of last year!!! u cant judge a breed by a handful of dogs that u have seen!!!

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
W-tate
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2011, 06:21:50 pm »

no one cant judge pits by the hand full we have seen there just like anything else even hog hunters only takes one  bad hog hunter to make us all look bad  i my self will never own a full blood pit  just cause of personal preference i  honestly dont think you can compare a dogo to a pit  or a pit to a stag i think a dogo is more versatile  but you pit people are  just like your dogs hard head   i  dont own  and wont own a full pit  and i cant afford a dogo  and i refuse to settel for a watered down one  i think watered down dogos are worse then pits truth is  back yard breeder not bredding best to best  have ruined  pits and most dogos curs and cathoulas  but thats  a completely different topic on how  hog dogger are when it  comes to  breeding  they dont want anyone dogs to breed to theirs because we all think what we got is the best  Afro

Well, the devil made me do it the first time The second time I done it on my own
Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man And help me leave that black rose alone
GET.LOW.CURS
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:37 pm »

alright i might be one of the few that hunt in the same country as silverton boar dogs... silverton runs alot of dogs that i would never run(and i can promise i run some that he never would, he knows what he is doing and i wouldn't doubt it at all)  the boars out here can be 125 and have 3 inch cutters on them but they dont know how to use them(strictly from my opinion)  I'm originally from east tx where they do... you can occasionally can get away with stags out here but why? do they have as good a nose as curs? not in my opinion... can they hold a pig like a pit... dogo... or abt?  they might not have the fight in them(pigs) like in east tx simply because theres not alot of us hog doggers out here but by the time them dogs are ripping into them dont think they wont see you comin and want a piece... in that situation i think i want something with jaws that can hold that sucker

mike
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2011, 08:35:27 pm »

I have everything but a dogo. Will not use stags on hogs. Will always have at least 2 pits or one ab an one pit or one ab/pit cross and one pit. Never will be in the woods without a full blood pitbull. And if I take a stag he will have bulldogs to back him up

These are the kind of posts that simply make me laugh and shake my head. Ignorance! Dont get me wrong I like a good pit, had several, but, my current 2 cd's (1 scott bred AB, 1 Dogo) Are as hard as any pit, and better than most. No reason at all you would need a pit with my cd's or several of my buddy's AB's or Dogos PERIOD....if you have had bad experiences with the breeds think of all the pits that you wouldn't feed either  Huh?

PAUL THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME SOMETHING NEW AGAIN...I always appreciate you taking the time to share your well earned dog knowledge. I'd venture to say less than 5% of any forumn members have worked with dogs at your level for 1/2 the time. This stag/bulldog thing has me interested. I know I have an AB that will embarrass most curs when allowed to hunt that would make a good cross!....but probably not as good as the cross you have coming with adora.

Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2011, 10:48:23 pm »

This has been a good thread. I enjoy the open exchange of information. Some points I would like to make.

Is a straight Stag the best catch dog for all hog hunters.....absolutely not. Can they work? You bet.

I am interested in using/breeding some 1/2 Stag 1/2 Dogos. I have the Dogo, well proven in every type of hunting. I went to Nebraska to buy a quality Stag. Now most of y'all know that I am not ever going to breed a dog that is not proven and of very good quality. So I have hunted my straight Stag to prove to myself he is a sure enough pig dog, Stormy has earned his chance to sire some pups.

I have been hunting Curly (Bred by Cody Weiser), 1/2 Stag, 1/4 Dogo, 1/4 Ab. To get an idea of what my cross might be like. I have been impressed with him to say the least, ok nose, good speed, hard as nails when holding, hunts well with me horseback, will handle a good boar one out and will go to a bay in the brush. I am hoping that the crosses I will be raising will be a step up from him but he has made a very nice dog.

The reason for me making this cross is two fold. #1 is I am going to start hunting horseback all I can, getting old and crippled  , and I want some dogs that can travel with me horseback and hunt with or without my bay dogs. #2 I can use some dogs that I can haul with me on the truck while I am working that can run a track, or run on sight and catch and hold anything I might come across with minimal cut gear, and I don't want to need but one or two to get the job done.

Most of the ground I hunt belongs to friends or neighbors that have a hog problem, I want to kill the most hogs in the most efficient way possible when I am catching hogs for them.

When I am hunting these big open crop fields and some of this open pasture I have not seen any dogs more effective than the Stag and Stag cross. I don't care if anyone else likes them or not they have proven themselves to me, and I am breeding them for myself.  Grin

Picking dogs to use in your own country is like picking cows for your ranch. You need to use the animal that is the most productive. I am rather sure that the Dogo and Stag Dogo cross will handle about any hunting situation I will encounter in this area.

SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16:51 pm »

can i see more pics of the stags?

i may need a new keyboard at work here due to the drool on the keys Afro

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
okie hogger954
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2011, 12:49:48 am »

Silverton like you said you like to breed dogs that you can use. Iam the type of person that if there is something working for someone else i would like to try it to. i hate people that are closed minded and never like to try something different, me on the other hand if it makes hunting easy fast and can catch more hog then that is they way i want to go. i don't want to be in the woods all day and only catch one or two. if i can use something that is faster and can do the same as my curs but faster then that is what i will do, you have to be able a willing to use something better to better yourself.

make life easier not harder
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 09:13:52 am »

i have also seen a pit gyp run into a bay and it break picked her up 5 miles down the road at farmers house all bloody no cuts fully geared july of last year!!! u cant judge a breed by a handful of dogs that u have seen!!!

Im not judging a breed by a handful, and it was not me who made the comment, although I agree. It was Brian, you know him lol, he has been hunting with game bred pits for 10+ years maybe longer. I guess you would have had to be there to understand the cituation. The dog ran 500 yrds to stop the hog before this whole fiasco even began, the black mouth cur wouldnt even stand up until thirty min later when we got the truck there. The dogo was still up walking around trying to get back in the woods. They were both on leads till we cut them to stop this guy, but like I said, I guess you have to be there. My whole point in the story was that catching wild hogs and catching lifestock, although they go hand and hand, are two different games.

I guess it would have been different with a pit, he wouldnt have gotten there to stop the hog in the first place, and we would have been able to call the curs back and go home  Evil

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »

Anyone breeding any pig stags yet? This topic is old but I saw it on a google search and thought I'd resurrect it! Anyone know if Silverton Boar Dogs is still hunting those stags and stag crosses? I liked the idea of a stag/dogo cross!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2013, 06:09:58 pm »

Swamphunter and a few others run Stags. I have a pair from Swamphunter that are just close to hitting 10mths old that I am very anxious to start on hogs. My sow busted out of her pen one day and made it by my Stag bitches kennel and she went nuts. Gonna be fun! If they turn out, we will be doing my EBT over my Stag bitch, and my male Stag over my husband's retired Catahoula bitch.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2013, 07:00:17 pm »

Yeah I've been bugging Swamphunter about his stag for a week or so now! I was actually thinking of asking you to extend your stud services for Ol Shiner until I found a stag bitch to breed him to!! Maybe I should just ask you nicely to let me buy one off ya when you get some on the ground? I know you consider your kennels closed but you may enjoy having someone to help test the pups... who knows... You have any pics of those Swamphunter pups?
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2013, 09:43:17 pm »

Yeah I've been bugging Swamphunter about his stag for a week or so now! I was actually thinking of asking you to extend your stud services for Ol Shiner until I found a stag bitch to breed him to!! Maybe I should just ask you nicely to let me buy one off ya when you get some on the ground? I know you consider your kennels closed but you may enjoy having someone to help test the pups... who knows... You have any pics of those Swamphunter pups?

If she has a large litter, (which I have a feeling she will with my luck...and I mean that in a sarcastic way, lol) I'd have no problem letting one or two go to working homes where they'll be put through the ringer to prove their worth/ability. I can always give ya a holler when the day comes and see if you're still interested at that point in time.

I have got to get out there and get them two ADD pups photographed....(I've been promising Swamphunter fresh pics too, lol) but I do have one handy of the female from a couple months ago, she's much taller now. She's hairy like her daddy, but her brother is slick coated like his momma. Here's "Voodoo" at 5 mths old. They're going on 10mths now.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2013, 11:42:42 pm »

She's a great looking little lady! I want to see some recent ones too when you get the chance. I hope she turns out! I'd love to put a pup of hers to the test!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: