March 28, 2024, 09:40:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: losing pups  (Read 833 times)
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:46:40 am »

I posted about the litter of pups my dog had the other day. Well, I have lost 2 and 3 more are on their way out. They seem to be having trouble breathing. They are fine and then they start laying around and wheezing and can't seem to breathe. They make raspy wheezing noises. Any ideas on what it might be or what to do about it? They are outside but in the shade in an open cage that is very well ventilated. The bitch can come and go as she pleases and is taking good care of them. While they were nursing one pulled off and started coughing and milk was coming out of it's nose and mouth. Could they be getting milk down the wrong pipe and into their lungs? Btw they are less than a week old. Any input would be appreciated.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
redline
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:32:43 am »

Maybe they have pneumonia. Aspirating (breathing in the milk) occurs if they have pneumonia. Might be a good idea to get them to the vet unless you are ok with losing them.
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:02 am »

Wish I could help but I have never had this problem before Levi. When that happens to me Im usually off to the vet.

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:46:23 am »

Yeah, they are an unplanned litter, not really an investment I want to make with the vet. I may call my vet and get some pointers from him though.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:10:10 am »

look in their mouths and see if they have cleft pallets. Sorry for your difficulties. Most likely you will loose them ifthey are weezing and having this fluid  problem in their lungs.

SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »

that sounds like pneumonia, to young to medicate really, best thing to do is let it take its course

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: