March 28, 2024, 01:35:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to train bay dog?  (Read 9017 times)
OutlawHogDoggers69
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:38:42 am »

i have a 6 month old cat/mtn cur cross that has been in the bay pen once and bayed her butt off! i am getting a pig tomorrow to train her with and i was just lookin for some tips on what to do to get her ready for the woods..
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:22:04 pm »

keep the pig in a cage and dont let her bit it this will keep her baying more then catching . then u can take the pig for a drag thought the woods in put itthe pig back in the cage at end of the trail! let her find it in bay when your not in sight!
dane
Strike Dog

Rocking DO Kennels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:09:05 pm »

yeah outlaw    draging hog around in a field or yard to start   then drag out in woods      i usually drag 50 to 100 yards   and work  up to i am just tired or dargging     then if dog is going and baying it pretty consistant      take and even tie hogs back legs together  to were it can't leave country and let it go for 20 mins or so and let pup go bay it

good luck with it   let us know how it turns out for u
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »

yeah outlaw    draging hog around in a field or yard to start   then drag out in woods      i usually drag 50 to 100 yards   and work  up to i am just tired or dargging     then if dog is going and baying it pretty consistant      take and even tie hogs back legs together  to were it can't leave country and let it go for 20 mins or so and let pup go bay it

Dane, this is what Im wanting to do with our year old pups. We have them going out and hunting with the older dogs but right now because its so hot, they just aren't getting on enough hogs. So I was thinking about taking one of our hogs and tying it legs together loosely and turning it out for the pups to find. At least to keep them going until it cools off a little.

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:29:35 pm »

hand cuffs work pretty good for that.
dane
Strike Dog

Rocking DO Kennels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:50:07 pm »

black smith   i never thought about hand cuffs     good idea     

djhogdogger   i have done it a few times   and had good luck with it      it lets them know what they aare supposed to be hunting for and even how to hold a bay!      i don't like to put my hunting dogs in a bay pen much or even at all   because seems to be they get used to be thrown on hogs and when take to woods they want leave ur feet   
FLBayNSlay
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 06:49:52 pm »

Dane, this is what Im wanting to do with our year old pups. We have them going out and hunting with the older dogs but right now because its so hot, they just aren't getting on enough hogs. So I was thinking about taking one of our hogs and tying it legs together loosely and turning it out for the pups to find. At least to keep them going until it cools off a little.

I do that too, but I take the pig and tie its back leg then tie it to a small brick or weight of some kind. This way the pig can run around and give more of a fight or chase. When they get old enough to trail, tie the pig with sumthing lighter and turn them out at your place give him a head start and turn em loose!!!! This had worked for me very well. My buddy cus the ears off his pigs he uses to train, that way they cant catch them or at elast it makes it very difficult  Grin Good luck on the puppy training.

Matt

gone huntin.....
noelle
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:59:55 pm »

Can't say about handcuffs in training a pup, but found out it didn't work as good as it sounded in the woods for me.. I don't use a bay pen I believe in what was said earlier, (mock) hunts is a pretty good method for the younger dogs
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

i would wet the pig down first couple times when you drag it, lets the scent carry more so the pups can find it easier then work your way up

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:20:57 pm »

i used to drag pigs through the woods for pups till i got old an wise. now instead  i hide the caged pig and use strips of hide to drag .just be sure and plsce the pig .and then go back and drag trail to the pig not away from the pig so you dont teach em to back track . i also use this method to test my dogs noses to see how old a track they can follow . its excelant training method and fun to boot

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: