October 03, 2026, 04:21:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three generations...  (Read 20264 times)
Mike
Administrator
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 10276



View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:13:00 pm »

This is Tweety, her daughter Brandy and two males pups that I picked up yesterday that are Tweety's grandsons. One looks like Tweety and the other looks like their grandsire, Winchester. Long story short, Winchester doesn't have long to live. I was contacted last week by the fella who now owns him. After many, many phone calls we've found that all the Winchester/Tweety pups have made awesome dogs. Good enough to have his semen pulled and stored to get this cross again. He probably won't make it to her next heat cycle.



Logged

Mike
Administrator
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 10276



View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:21:20 pm »

All the Winchester/Tweety pups came out looking exactly like her. I also met the fella that has one of the male pups... they look like twins and they call him Obama. Grin
Logged

matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4690



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:40:13 pm »

It will be fun to see how these pups grow and hunt in the next year or so and then cross them all back and forth and see if we can "clone" some black dogs  Grin

Matt
Logged

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
shawn
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1209



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »

how did you get those pups to pose perfectly like that? lol good lookin dogs
Logged

HogzgoneWild
Hog Catching Machine
********
Offline Offline

Posts: 2163



View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:12 pm »

awesome lookin dogs and pups
Logged

"pain is just fear leavin the body"
TDHA member/TLGDA supporter
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Victor Dealer/Promoter
Bigl
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 293


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:20:32 pm »

What breed dogs are those?  Grin
Logged

Logan Bolton Afro
(901) 831-1713
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3633


It's a good day to have a great day!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:40:59 pm »

Ha! Im glad yall finaly got all that sorted out!

That Winnie pup looks alot like him if his ears were about 4 inches longer! Winchester was the only pup from that litter that had realy LONG ears when they were little, he finaly grew into them, thank Goodness! Winnie also had a  big top knot as a pup, and we were trying figure out whee taht had come from cause neither Pistol or Bell looked that way. several of that litter were many different colors of brindle with black masks, Remington was extremely good looking, but did not have nothing on Winnie in the woods.
One day I will have to sit and look through my draw of old photo and see if I can find pics of all those relatives. I know I got a few pics of Pistol somewheres.
Logged

Circle C
Administrator
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5372


WWT Official Scorer


View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:28 pm »

tweety is catahoula
Brandy is her daughter 1/2 cat 1/2 east texas cur
the pups are 7/8 cur 1/8 plott
Logged

Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
Black Gold
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 821



View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:31:13 am »

Yall have done a good job of piecing all that together.....that is a rewarding part of this sport....when you have a goal of tracking down a bloodline and it all comes together....Well done!
Logged

CODY WEISER - WWT Founder & Official Scorer - T.D.H.A. Advisor
Marshall
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 630



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:57:52 am »

Yeah, good lookin stock Mike! How did Tweety and Winchester hunt?
Logged
Cull Buck
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: leet



View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:17:53 am »

That's very cool how you were able to track that bloodline down.  I can see how that would be a very rewarding endeavour.
Logged

"I'm like lunch meat.....always ready" - Eric Barnes

Took Savoy to the swamp and he promtly got his v-card punched.

He's out.  And you're out.  And i don't think I'm in either.
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4690



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:39 am »

Marshall, Tweety is the black dog on the left.  She hunts VERY hard, what some would call med-long range but mainly just hussels and makes BIG clover leaf patterns when you hunt.  I have never seen the dog get tired.  We started hunting with her last spring and all through the summer and fall winter and she just has a lot of go to her.  I have never hunted with the Winchester dog but he is said to hunt very good.  The pups out of the two looked just like their momma and hunt just like their momma, that is Brandy there on the right.  The man that owns the Brandy dog bred her on purpose to a big male 3/4 cur 1/4 plott that was out of some good dogs.  The pups are the product of that cross.  I got a few females out of the same litter as the pups pictured here.  Our hope is to determine the pups out of the litter that shine and breed the females to their uncle "obama" and maybe breed one of the males back to the Tweety and see if we can keep producing these big black dogs that hunt really well and make good strike dogs.  The man that bred the pups kept one and four of us bought up the rest of the litter to see if they have what it takes.  As much as I hate pups I sure like to watch them grow and learn and become dogs.  I don't think hunting would be as much fun if you couldn't watch a young dog progress....

Matt
Logged

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
elliscountyhog
Boar Slayer
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1240



View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:15 am »

Those are sum nice looking dogs there. Lotta leg and i am a sucker for them black dogs Wink


Logged

Hunt Hard or STAY HOME!
"If the dog won't leave and go look, I'm not wasting my time." Quoted by Bryant.
Mike
Administrator
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 10276



View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »

Marshall, we traced the Winchester dog back to the Bennett lines, which you know of. I hear he is long range with a helluva nose on him. Tweety is what I consider a medium range dog that loops and burns the woods up. His nose and her drive made some outstanding pups... hopefully we can get one more time.

Krystal, what is the back ground on Pistol? We have it on Belle... is he from the same lines?

Mr.Mason, do you know where the other littermate to Brandy and Obama is... i'd like to speak with the owner if you could pm me their info? I think he was the biggest dog out of the bunch? Thanks.
Logged

uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3633


It's a good day to have a great day!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 12:40:34 pm »

Mike, Pistol was bred by Danny Hill of Needville and he made the cross multiple times because everybody wanted Ben & Elly pups.  Our Sherry is also out of Elly and a different Male, so Sherry and Pistol are half brother and sister. Pistol is still around I just don't own him anymore, but he was the very last litter of that cross, Ben just got too old and Danny was killed in a car wreck about 10 years ago. However that could be traced further back if yall got the need to know. Pistol would hunt Medium and very independent, then when he hit a track he would stay with it for miles.

Winchester had many many half brothers and sisters that made Good dogs. One of my favorites is Lemon that is still going in South Texas. Some of yall may have known a gyp I had for awhile named Spice and another named Monkey, those were all out of Bell too. If yall have 6 generations of background yall can have registration made up in UKC or ARF and start breed. One of the oldest living pups from Bell is named Huey and still hunting in LA I heard this morning from Mr. Mason. The Bellpusp just go too far for my personal liking, as did Pistol, but Pistol made me planty of proud as a top notch bay pen dog too.
Logged

Circle C
Administrator
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 5372


WWT Official Scorer


View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »

Krystal,

  Did you happen to find out if the cowboy still has the dog you mentioned? I think it would be a littermate to Obama and Brandy.
Logged

Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3633


It's a good day to have a great day!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:14 pm »

Not yet I have not been back into MG to talk to his wife, but will go into town on Thursday
Logged

Txmason
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 738



View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 03:31:13 pm »

Mike,
I had a sister of Pistol, Anne, who was a good dog.

I'll get the # of the man in LA. that has the bigger brother.
Keep reminding me or Saturday I'll call and get it.
Logged

Douglas Mason
979-733-0578
www.txmasoncatahoulas.com
www.tdha.org
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 4690



View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 04:06:35 pm »

Krystal does Jon still have Ruby, Tweety's sister?  I know she is colored different but is she built like her sister?

Matt
Logged

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3633


It's a good day to have a great day!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 04:17:59 pm »

Yeah he still has her and she has lepoard coloring but real dark/rust colred trim, I don't think you could tell they were sisters by looking at them, Ruby is good sized but not as tall as Tweety. She is wider in the chest and her head is not as long nor are her ears. About the only way you would know they were realted is if you put them on the ground together and watched them cover the ground. Ruby is also alot rougher than Tweety, once she gets  ahold you dern near have to break her off.
IMO Tweety very much reproduced herself very strong in that litter, as the pups could run and stay with her at about 8 months of age.
Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!