April 19, 2024, 07:16:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's see your Toyota hunting rigs?  (Read 9833 times)
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:44:02 pm »

I just got a 1980 Toyota shortbed 4x4 and about to bob the frame, add a 4.3 v6 chevy trying to build it for getting to the hogs in the rougher spots and for fun, so I wondered if any of you men might have some Toyota rigs you have built that I might get some ideas or pointers from, if so post some pics if you got'em and or list what mods you did that were worth the money or effort.

God bless, Waylon

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
mod93dirt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:15:29 pm »

Hey Waylon, I dont have a toyota hunting rig, buy I do work at the collision center for the biggest Toyota Dealer in OK(Jim Norton Toyota) and can get parts at cost. So if you need any help with any Toyota OEM parts, hit me up.  I am also very handy with welding and fabrication, so let me know if you need any help. I am looking forward to your offer to tag along on a hunt come cooler weather. Let me know if there is anything you need and I will try and help you out if I can with your Toyota project.

Show me a good loser and I will show you A loser!!
Jeep
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:17:05 pm »

I have an 85 Toyota  an all I did was put some tires an a winch an I can go to the dogs 
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »

I have a front bumper still in the works, 2 hunters,4 dogs,4wheeler,all the gear, 16 mpg and no trailer, great for quick hunts, works real nice on smaller spots we walk hunt [ loading the 4wheeler can get a little wild if your not careful] I just finished some upgrades to the eng. I hope for a little more power and MPG. The flotation super swamper will carry it though some serious swampy stuff ( stilt filled water ways between corn fields last spring ) I just knew I was gonna bury it but it just crawled right though  :'( :'( Huh? laugh

From squeal to meal with one good stick!  Hunting is not a sport, It's a way of life...Danny Ward
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:14:27 pm »

I stayed with the 22R eng when built right their bullet proof, .040 over bore, l.e.i. cam shaft and valve springs ( low rpm torque ) this is great off road but hurts trying to pull hills at highway speeds, got a weber down draft carb kit from weber with all the needed adapters,( very reliable starts cold-hot no flooding out or lean cough when it's cold cold )  just install some power pulleys i hope to gain a little torque back and Im working on buying or fabricating a snorkle.

From squeal to meal with one good stick!  Hunting is not a sport, It's a way of life...Danny Ward
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 07:01:44 pm »

Mod93dirt -  You are sure welcome to come along, were only waiting on some cooler weather and the hogs might be easier to find due to water shortage, a few years back we slayed them when it was like this. I will be also taking you up on the toyota help, I might just keep with the 20r now that I give it some thought, Dangerzone makes sense and I have always heard how tuff the 20 & 22r engines are. As for the fab work, i'm all about getting help from good fab guys, I can weld anything but am a piss poor designer/ fab man

Dangerzone - did you have to gear down for the bigger tires, i'm thinking of going to 4:88's or even 5:29 and running 33- 12:50's and my little 20r is kinda tired, but it has some vacum line leaks and that's part of the problem, but the engine has some blow by as well. If I can rebuild the 20r and make it strong again I'd rather spend the cash on other upgrades than a swap to the chevy v6. I really like that dog box setup you got in yours and you got balls putting that 4wheeler on there  Shocked

Jeep - I am wanting a winch but am gonna build a front bumper after we bob the rear frame and build a real short flat bed for it, what tires are you using on your and what size? I bought this truck for $500 bucks from the original owner who only drove it down dirt roads it even has car type tires on it and it really goes like it is, I tested it on the pipline right of way by my house and so far I'm very impressed.

Osage County,Oklahoma
spazhogdog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »

This is a 89 toyota that is our hunting truck and love it.

Gods gifts   grandkids and puppies
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:39 pm »

spazhogdog- nice rig, did you build the bed yourself and have you shortened the frame somewhat at the rear? I really like the rigs I've see here, mine wont be near as pretty but will get the job done I hope

Osage County,Oklahoma
spazhogdog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:37:06 pm »

We had the flatbed and dog boxes made. The flatbed is 6 foot long.

Gods gifts   grandkids and puppies
leonidas
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 01:16:20 pm »

I have a front bumper still in the works, 2 hunters,4 dogs,4wheeler,all the gear, 16 mpg and no trailer, great for quick hunts, works real nice on smaller spots we walk hunt [ loading the 4wheeler can get a little wild if your not careful] I just finished some upgrades to the eng. I hope for a little more power and MPG. The flotation super swamper will carry it though some serious swampy stuff ( stilt filled water ways between corn fields last spring ) I just knew I was gonna bury it but it just crawled right though  :'( :'( Huh? laugh

This is something i'd like to replicate........ NICELY DONE~!
bird
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 05:20:58 pm »

Here's my 1994 straight axle Toyota. It has a 22r with a 5 speed and I'm running 36 iroks. It has a 5 foot flat bed with a 4 bay dog box.
Dirtydog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 05:30:42 pm »

DARN IT !!! NOW I GONNA HAVE TO BUILD ME ANOTHER TOY. YALL ARE MAKING ME MISS MY OLD ONES... ROCK CRAWLING WAS MY LAST HOBBY.. Grin BEFOR I STARTED DOGGIN AND RAISING BABIES...

Danged ole dirtydog !
LIVING THA DREAM !!!
dane
Strike Dog

Rocking DO Kennels

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:39:49 pm »

i have a 2002 tacoma 4 door     have three inch lift and ltb super swampers on it     it is a machine   go about anywhere i want it to go       i need and flat bed on it tho    those are really bad ass
fatboy outfitters
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »

Here is our hunting rig

waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »

Nice rigs men, really good looking trucks so far

Bird that is what I'm wanting mine to end up looking like with as short of a read as possible I'd even move the axle close to the t-case if I can only with a roll rage covering the box and one in the cab, My buddy and I are really unlucky when it comes to cab/body damage and don't need any dog crushed. We hunt some rough nasty country and are lazy so we like to drive as close as possible. Sometimes that cost you some major body repairs but in the heat of things minor details like that go out the window. Super cool truck and I'm guessing you swapped it to solid axle, I thought those were indep. Front suspension trucks in that year?

Osage County,Oklahoma
dane
Strike Dog

Rocking DO Kennels

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »

fat boy   where u get that bed
fatboy outfitters
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

Bed came from san antonio. Had sides added by local welder.  He did real nice on the back of the bed
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 10:49:52 pm »

Waylon, I'm running 30x13.50/15 on 15x10 rims and stock gears. I can only run 5th/OD when light loaded. I run 4th most of the time.  I have been thinking about changing gears when I get the next set of tires and going up to 33's.

Jeep
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 10:56:25 pm »

waylon i have 33' mud bruts with the stock 22re motor an it turns them great it is fuel injected with the straight axle front end
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »

fatboy you get tired of that yota or that bed you be sure and send me a pm....

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: