March 29, 2024, 08:14:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much do you get for your hogs?  (Read 3577 times)
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 04:03:26 pm »

can just anyone go into these places or do you have to have a card or something? i may have to move to texas.

Anybody can go in it but there are rules on moving texas hogs and what sex etc etc that were posted up the other day, they dont buy every hog that comes in last time i messed with them, so if you have underweight sows and haul them back to the ranch or somewhere else you are in violation of the hog law if you ever get stopped and asked for paperwork from somebody who actually knows the law and can write one up legally for violations??  That other post about belltex makes sense buying because i could never figure out where you guys up in north texas sold hogs and how they came out hauling down to san antonio the freight and stress would be a killer for sure, looks like there are 2 buyers in texas then, Divine and belltex??  Wonder if Belltex slaughters the hogs in fort worth and ships them or just kills them and sells to divne after they are boxed, usually a hog produces 50 per cent of its live weight or better as a rule.  Anybody have a website to see of Belltex sells wild processed boar meat online or does it all go out of state??  What about Florida, sounds like it is illegal to sell the meat or somebody would have know about selling them in Florida and what they pay for them?

Doesn't the meat have to be USDA inspected if it is sold for retail?  I do not know of anyone personally but someone I work with in Deerfield says there is a market in Miami that touts 'wild boar meat' from Florida but I do not know where they are getting it from.  That is why it was new to me that you could donate the meat to soup kitchens because if they were to get sick from improper 'cleaning' then the person that sold/donated it could be held responsible.
From what I understand USDA inspects the processing facility. They don't inspect every animal the facility does the inspecting of animals. If something turns out bad the facility gets in trouble. That is why they don't buy all the pigs that show up.

The pig transportation only applies to live hogs. But all you would need is an aproaved holding facility near you. That way if you get stopped on the way to the processing facility you are legal and if you have to take some back you are on the way to a holding facility and legal. If you are not planning on keepping the pig just kill it and you are legal. There is no fee to have a holding facility you just have to have it inspected and meet the requirements. The laws are not designed to stop people from selling the pigs just those that want to take them somewhere and release them.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
treeingratterrier
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 04:21:01 pm »

night bell tex procceces all their hogs at there plant [frontier meats ] and they package it for retail and over seas . they sell it here for resturants and sausage making joints when i went to work for texas best smokehouse we made sausage out of the hams . and it is fda inspected. i used to donate plenty to the food banks just like prossed deer no fda inspt. needed on most places . southern game is who used to be in san antonio but they went under when the overseas market crashed i guess divine took over there bizz, souther had a bunch of buy stations up here . and i would emagine divine has as well i think just up north of me is one . compatition keeps the prices up it's a good thing . 

Southern wild  game was located in divine texas down from san antone, sorry about the confusion i posted, there have been 2 or 3 more places over the years in the hill country but they never got as big as they have been in the last 10 years.  I googled wild boar meat for sale in texas and its higher than a hippies kite for sure, I look all of the time or used and have never seen wild hog meat for sale from texas in a store, or a smokehouse, i have never figured it out to tell the truth, with all of these hog hunting shows u would think some wild hog processor would place a infocomerical or website to order florida or texas wild boar just like caught on this episode shipped to your door???  I have always thought they,  wild hog meat processors would find a way to buy the hogs in texas and have them usda inspected at an approved facility and have wholesale and retail outlet, definetly a niche market not being served, the problem with the wild hog meat is prob the tame hog and cattle meat processors, they dont want a wild hog being slaughtered in the same facility as a feedlot hog or feedlot steer to avoid some kind of outbreak fo diease, hogs one of these days are going to cause a huge outbreak of something horrible i predict, too dry and too many sick hogs will prob kill some soccer mom and her kids in Houston or Dal and they will shut down hog buying stations, so far nothing has happened but its out there for sure, crazy all of the hogs that just get shot and left to rot due to no market for them or a low price below break even, we used to sell a 20 foot trailer load of them a month at times when the money was enuff to feed them for a month and worm them and haul up to devine wild games location.  None of the local places down here in one of the most hog eatten up countys will process wild hogs right now even this early as they are full, and they close up at end of Dec usually, so many hogs get shot and rot big time or end up being dumped on the side of the road or in a creek....

Rat Terriers aka fiests  black white tans, solid black and tans,  solid red,  ratting, squirrel  varmit stock from ranch raised varmit dogs, 10 to 30 pounds  www.crossbowtexas.com (for sale)    www.imageevent.com/treeingratterrier
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 04:46:43 pm »

can just anyone go into these places or do you have to have a card or something? i may have to move to texas.

Anybody can go in it but there are rules on moving texas hogs and what sex etc etc that were posted up the other day, they dont buy every hog that comes in last time i messed with them, so if you have underweight sows and haul them back to the ranch or somewhere else you are in violation of the hog law if you ever get stopped and asked for paperwork from somebody who actually knows the law and can write one up legally for violations??  That other post about belltex makes sense buying because i could never figure out where you guys up in north texas sold hogs and how they came out hauling down to san antonio the freight and stress would be a killer for sure, looks like there are 2 buyers in texas then, Divine and belltex??  Wonder if Belltex slaughters the hogs in fort worth and ships them or just kills them and sells to divne after they are boxed, usually a hog produces 50 per cent of its live weight or better as a rule.  Anybody have a website to see of Belltex sells wild processed boar meat online or does it all go out of state??  What about Florida, sounds like it is illegal to sell the meat or somebody would have know about selling them in Florida and what they pay for them?

Doesn't the meat have to be USDA inspected if it is sold for retail?  I do not know of anyone personally but someone I work with in Deerfield says there is a market in Miami that touts 'wild boar meat' from Florida but I do not know where they are getting it from.  That is why it was new to me that you could donate the meat to soup kitchens because if they were to get sick from improper 'cleaning' then the person that sold/donated it could be held responsible.
From what I understand USDA inspects the processing facility. They don't inspect every animal the facility does the inspecting of animals. If something turns out bad the facility gets in trouble. That is why they don't buy all the pigs that show up.

The pig transportation only applies to live hogs. But all you would need is an aproaved holding facility near you. That way if you get stopped on the way to the processing facility you are legal and if you have to take some back you are on the way to a holding facility and legal. If you are not planning on keepping the pig just kill it and you are legal. There is no fee to have a holding facility you just have to have it inspected and meet the requirements. The laws are not designed to stop people from selling the pigs just those that want to take them somewhere and release them.

See, that is how I have come to understand what they are trying to do down herewith the 'ferall swine dealers' but we do not have buying stations thta I know of.  I wouldn't think that they would look at every animal that came through but do they do brucellosis testing on them before slaughter?  I know that we have aUSDA rep at our local sale barn and they had actually stopped them from selling wild hogs for a while when they first started pushing these cards because there was no way of knowing whether the people buying them were actually slaughtering them or just turning them loose.

I know they had recently started selling them there again and the prices were crazy high (especially this time of the year) but the sales only happpen once or twice a month on a Friday and to keep them is more of a hassle than they are worth imo since the prices are so variable.
adamp
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 01:38:06 am »

I live 40 min from devine and the buying station is picky on dog caught hogs,but not too bad. I also have a guy I've known for a while that has a buying station closer to jourdanton who will buy your caught hogs at the same price then he feeds them up. If you're interested shoot me a pm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: