April 19, 2024, 07:43:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nails  (Read 1202 times)
wcg89
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:16:29 pm »

One of my border collie's pulled one of her toenails out, don't know how she did it...but she didn't break it off, she PULLED IT OUT somehow....it has been about 3 days or so since i noticed it and she won't use that leg she is running and walking with it held up off the ground.

Should i take her to the vet or just wait it out or is there anything i can do to help it heal....i just don't want it to get infected or anything.
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:52:14 pm »

not really sure how to fix it or if it will grow back but try a little cut and heal and put some SWAT on it to keep the flys off and keep it from getting infected, some antibiotics wont hurt either if you can get some cephilexin or something like that.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
bghogdogtx
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:49:12 am »

might already be infected if she isent useing it

THEY BAYED!!!!
TDHA Member
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:07 pm »

pretty sure it will heal on its own .
Lyssy
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:40:44 pm »

Keep it clean and wait. My gyp got stepped on by a bull and she tore her nail out of the skin. Limped for a week healed good and now has a crooked nail but is ok. Use cut n heal spray or nitrofurezone and they have some purple antiseptic spray at the feed store that works great and cutts and other sores.

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:27 pm »

i had my catch dog hand his nail on the wire on the tail gate.... anyhow, i soaked in Epsom salt water (warm) for as long as he'd keep it in there, once a day.  then hit it with betadine at feed time and in the morning.  took about 4 or 5 days and he started using it again.  it healed up fine.
wcg89
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:37:46 pm »

alrighty thanks guys I messed with it a little bit and she is putting her weight on it some
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: