April 28, 2024, 03:22:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida cur, Cracker cur, Southern Cur, Florida hog hunting in general history?  (Read 50540 times)
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:32 am »

DWest, I was the same way. Growing up all the ranches and dayworkers had "cur" dogs...that was it. No names for them, no papers, nothing. But they all worked and were good all around dogs. Now that more and more people are hog hunting and getting cur dogs it seems the quality of cur dogs has gone downhill.......not sure why that is, but its hard to find the old time Fla cur dogs like the ones that used to be around 20-30 years ago.

I had an old man buy one of those black & white pups years ago. He was in his 80's, born & raised in Fla, had cattle and cur dogs his whole life. He told me thats what a cur dog is supposed to look like! That dog made a heck of a cow dog for him and he had it for 3-4 years. Several people tried to buy the dog as he could take that one dog and pen cattle that other people couldn't. He wouldn't sell the dog and at night he chained it in his horse barn so it wouldn't wander. He went out to turn it loose one morning and there were boot tracks in his barn and an empty chain. It about killed that old man that someone stole his dog......

Thats why I don't mind a mean dog. Mine WILL bite.....ask anyone that has been around them. And 90% of all the cur dogs I was around growing up would bite a stranger..........

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: