March 29, 2024, 08:13:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida cur, Cracker cur, Southern Cur, Florida hog hunting in general history?  (Read 49806 times)
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2012, 09:29:10 am »

Okay Noah...here you go! Better be careful what you ask for...... Grin  I have about 10 photo albums of dog & hog pics and boxes of old pics that would have to be sorted through.

Picked out a couple from my old line of dogs. I have had these dogs for 6 generations of dogs, going on 30 years with the same line. Monkey is the only Partin dog I have and got him to cross with what I had. Jury is still out if that cross is going to work the way I want it to or not. Monkey has only been bred to two females in his life. Both my dogs, as I don't breed outside females,  so we will see.....

Pic one. This is Pup at about 11-12 years old. The Grand Matriarch of all my dogs. This is the dog that got me started in the family of curs I have now. GREAT dog. Unfortunately I didn't raise many pups back in the day and only raised one litter from her. I didn't know what I had back then or how hard it would be to find today! Otherwise I would have raised a PILE of these dogs. They were rough, never quit type of dogs that would catch about any hog or get cut down trying. Until two years ago (when Cward brought me a pup) I NEVER owned or fed a bulldog. Everything I caught was with cur dogs. I thought that was normal...... Shocked
Great old dog.........and great producer.

Pup and one of her daughters I called PJ . PJ was sired by Hub (see pic above)

Another Hub x Pup offspring. Probably the most conformationally correct dog I ever owned. Littermate to PJ above.

The two sisters together. They hated each other..... Grin

Lull before the dog fight.........thats Pup and my old Half Pint dog in the pic too.

Half Pint. Not exactly sure WHAT this dog was. She was given to me as a 6 week old pup and I was told she was a "Partin" cur....go figure. She has been dead about 11 years now. Probably the smartest dog I ever owned. I never bred her as I wasn't sure what her breeding was....but I would bet money she wasn't Partin bred! Used her on cows and hogs and she was smarter than most of the people I have met in my life. Really a cool dog.

PJ and Half Pint......you didn't touch the truck when they were in it....it didn't matter if you were a cow, a person or an elephant...they were going to BITE whatever got close!

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:42 am »

Forgot to mention that these pics were taken around 1987-1989?? That's my Ford Ranger in the pic and its a 1983 model. It wasn't new when pics were taken so pics had to be taken a few years after that.  Scary thing is, I still have that truck!!

TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:05 am »

Mark your older dogs have the look I like! They have the nice short coats, very athletic bodies that look like the can run all day in the hot Florida Swamp. Monkey has the longer coat compared to your older dogs.

Noah it's hard to know all the ranchers/cowboys that have top Fl Curs!! There are so many ranches in the state and 7x the amount of cowboys working the ranches!! Example was when I asked if you knew Hobby Campbell. His family has been here ranching and cowboying as long if not longer then the Partins..

All breeds of dogs were developed by the breeder using dogs that had the traits to produce what they wanted in their dogs. The Florida Curs are no different. Working cattle, hunting, and for protection of themselves and property they used dogs to produce that dog. No secret formula.. Depending of the ranch, Peeples, Morgan, Partin, Bickers, etc, thedogs all had a different look, but they all work the same way!!! Some people like to create some kind of legend or persona about thier dogs to have others think what they have are special or better then others dogs. It's kind of funny if you listen to all of the stories told!!!
DWEST
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2012, 10:50:07 am »

Crackerc - dang look at the shoulders in the dogs.  Great pics. 

Reminds me of all the all cur dogs i was used to seeing growing up.  They werent known to me by any "special" name.  People just had cur dogs! That were either cow dogs or hog dogs and sometimes both.  Kind of like the ol' bulldogs you used to see....with the old cur or bulldogs, they didnt need to be any special color, they just had that look...i guess untill some people figured they'd try to make it rich or famous selling dogs

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:32 am »

DWest, I was the same way. Growing up all the ranches and dayworkers had "cur" dogs...that was it. No names for them, no papers, nothing. But they all worked and were good all around dogs. Now that more and more people are hog hunting and getting cur dogs it seems the quality of cur dogs has gone downhill.......not sure why that is, but its hard to find the old time Fla cur dogs like the ones that used to be around 20-30 years ago.

I had an old man buy one of those black & white pups years ago. He was in his 80's, born & raised in Fla, had cattle and cur dogs his whole life. He told me thats what a cur dog is supposed to look like! That dog made a heck of a cow dog for him and he had it for 3-4 years. Several people tried to buy the dog as he could take that one dog and pen cattle that other people couldn't. He wouldn't sell the dog and at night he chained it in his horse barn so it wouldn't wander. He went out to turn it loose one morning and there were boot tracks in his barn and an empty chain. It about killed that old man that someone stole his dog......

Thats why I don't mind a mean dog. Mine WILL bite.....ask anyone that has been around them. And 90% of all the cur dogs I was around growing up would bite a stranger..........

Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2013, 07:15:52 pm »

... never met this guy/hunted with him to give perspective, however, he is undoubtably an excellent trainer....  He lives/hunts the same areas I do, just have not had the opportunity to bump into each other yet... I'd love to make a few hunts with the man to compare notes in the near future.

I feel this is an accurate example of the "rougher side" of the Florida Cur history.  Very typical of " South Florida mentality", in that, the "rough" areas on most ranches(bad ass thick palmetto), make it pretty much impossible to get close enough to stop a hog and bay it.... by necessity then(as bottom is not a viable option considering typical property size), STOPPING POWER/SPEED is bred for... to stop them before they can make it to the "rough"...  a FUNDAMENTAL/QUALIFYING trait of any good Florida Cur in my opinion...

... just thought this was an interesting video to show some background on some Florida "style"...

http://youtu.be/zHPNYhYiJe4

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
FLCracker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:42 pm »

... never met this guy/hunted with him to give perspective, however, he is undoubtably an excellent trainer....  He lives/hunts the same areas I do, just have not had the opportunity to bump into each other yet... I'd love to make a few hunts with the man to compare notes in the near future.

I feel this is an accurate example of the "rougher side" of the Florida Cur history.  Very typical of " South Florida mentality", in that, the "rough" areas on most ranches(bad ass thick palmetto), make it pretty much impossible to get close enough to stop a hog and bay it.... by necessity then(as bottom is not a viable option considering typical property size), STOPPING POWER/SPEED is bred for... to stop them before they can make it to the "rough"...  a FUNDAMENTAL/QUALIFYING trait of any good Florida Cur in my opinion...

... just thought this was an interesting video to show some background on some Florida "style"...

http://youtu.be/zHPNYhYiJe4

Gary Clark is a friend of mine! You wont find a nicer or more knowledgable guy! For the first time I got to hunt with him at my Ranch this past week. He has been working in North Dakota in the oil fields and not hunting as much. My friend Tyler in N FL owns "Bonnie" the brown cur from the video. She is the mom to all those dogs. Gary mainly walk hunts or sight cast. The handle he has on his dogs is AMAZING. Wait for the enxt video were going to shoot some at my Ranch and maybe you will even see me running in there LOL  Grin Wink Cheesy 
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2013, 08:07:07 pm »

Very cool Matt  Grin  We all need to get together and drop some dogs, your place or mine.  I'd like to see something different to check my own chit.

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:39 am »

Go to Matts place! You can catch a hog with a cast net Wink

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John Esker
FLCracker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:21 pm »

Go to Matts place! You can catch a hog with a cast net Wink

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HAHAHA dont tell him that! The time we go well get skunked somehow!  Wink There's a couple hogs running around.
FLCracker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2013, 02:34:47 pm »

Im not sure how old Gary is but I would nick name him "The ageless wonder" when I say he walk hunt's  I mean "Walk the dogs on top of the hogs" he crashes into heads like a buggy! Thick or not it does not bother him. He cannot stand sitting still. Well try and get something lined up.
makenbeans
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »

Gary is a great person i got the pleasure of meeting him as well!
crackae11
Strike Dog

Sketchum Hog Dogs

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2013, 11:34:10 am »

noah u know gil ? damn shame bout jt few years agi buddy mine dad ran with gil for yeaes over here brevard county before palm bay popped up like wildfire man had has some sure fine curr dogs them young bouys of his would get out there show lot these dolks to shame at 13 yo with um lol

Cowboy Up !
toyotatodd
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »

I've still got the black an tan gyp.  She is doing pretty well.  I've started taking her out in the woods some.  She still is not quite mature enough for me to start doing any serious training.  She has seen some hogs and is showing interest.  I'll try to get some pics up of her when I get back from this MS duck hunting trip.  She has a great personality and a pretty decent nose for being this age.  She does have a little aggression with another gyp cat that I have.  But the cat gyp has been known to cause some problems with othe females I have.  She might not be in my yard much longer if she has anymore serious fights.  After the jan/feb toso hunts I plan on starting her training hard.

Junior it looks like you got a LOT of color out of that litter! There was a guy that got the black & tan pup from that litter and he posted a pic of it on her a while back. Haven't seen anymore after that one post though.

Tar Baby looks good and glad to hear you like her. She is a Monkey x JJ offspring and the pups I posted a pic of above are Otis x JJ offspring. JJ was always on the ROUGH side and thats how she wound up getting her jaw broken....trying to catch a no eared hog that Monkey had bayed. I didn't know the hog didn't have ears when I sent JJ to the bay...........

Keep track of some of those pups and let me know how they turn out.
Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2013, 09:49:16 pm »

Toyota Todd, I kept one of the pied females and have started fooling with her a little bit! She is baying hogs already but will only bay if she is with another dog that is baying or caught....just a maturity issue! These pups are only 6 months old (born 2012June09). I have took her to the woods only one time and she did very well for her first trip! We did not get on any hogs but she stayed with her sire the entire hunt ranging between 200-300 yds on average only checking in with him every 10-15 mins.i am very pleased with my pup so far and hoping to get her on some hogs very soon to get her exposed out of a controlled environment
Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54:30 pm »

And I forgot to mention if she don't work out for you I buy Her back from you she don't go to anyone else!!!
toyotatodd
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:03 am »

I have pretty high hopes for her.  Guess only a little time will tell.  Hopin she falls in the footsteps of another cur gyp I have.  If I ever decide to get rid of her ill let you know.  I still have your number and always give the seller the first opportunity on a dog that doesn't fit with my pack.  I'll tell you one thing though, she is fast as hell!  Not sure about the ones you kept but mine (suey) has a lot of leg and seems to be exceptional on the brains side.  She is just startin to fill out some, I'm pretty curious how she will turn out, structure wise, in another 6 months.  Might take her along for the toso hunt just to watch on a lead and get her excited watching the other dogs. 
crackae11
Strike Dog

Sketchum Hog Dogs

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2013, 10:31:28 am »

tofd what toso hunt u got i will be running opning day the 11th

Cowboy Up !
toyotatodd
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:20 am »

Ill be goin as a guest on opening day with a group of buds.  Then I drew the second quota hunt in feb.
toyotatodd
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:39 pm »

Circle S, heres a couple pics of the pup I got from you, hard to keep her still!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: