April 28, 2024, 06:54:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your experience?  (Read 2269 times)
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:11 pm »

I'm getting a lot of people that want to go hunting with me and all of them or nearly all have never been hog hunting before. All of them.want to carry a pistol and more than likely would freak first time they see the hog what do yall usually tell people about bringing guns on there first hunts. I don't want to be a jerk but I do not want a trigger happy idiot capping my dogs cause they get spooked.
tmatt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »

Leave the guns in the truck.

Be who you are and say what you mean because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.
jimmy_creed
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:05 pm »

i dont let anyone carry a gun when we hunt if someone did and one got shot the fight would be on
S_J_KENNELS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:59 pm »

I tell them only I am carrying a gun. If that don't suit you stay home.

Shane
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:01:41 pm »

I'm getting a lot of people that want to go hunting with me and all of them or nearly all have never been hog hunting before. All of them.want to carry a pistol and more than likely would freak first time they see the hog what do yall usually tell people about bringing guns on there first hunts. I don't want to be a jerk but I do not want a trigger happy idiot capping my dogs cause they get spooked.

Many threads about this subject on here. You go with me, you follow my rules or guidelines. Just that simple. I'm the one that is heavily invested in this thing.

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
mod93dirt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:51 pm »

If you're the one running the hunt and dont want guns there then by all means tell them to leave the pistols at home.

I am pretty new to hog hunting myself, but every time I have gone, at least one of the people I go out with carry a gun with them. I have never wanted to or even thought to ask about carrying a gun when we went out. However, the last time I went, my buddy forgot his pistol at home and asked me if I had mine, which I did. He asked me to bring it along, to which I felt kind of honored to do so. Like I had been accepted into the group and was trusted with it. So far the times I have been out hunting there has been no need for a gun, but it sure seems like a nice thing to have "just in case".

With me being a "newbie", I can understand you not wanting a "newbie" with you carrying a gun. If its your show then feel free to lay down the ground rules on the hunt.

Show me a good loser and I will show you A loser!!
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:14 pm »

Aint no rookie worm gonna breed a gun and shoot over my dogs and that is excatly what I would tell them.  I aint worried about their feelings am worried about my dogs other people and myself .  One of them panic with a hog coming at them .......naw I dont even want to think about that.

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:40:10 am »

Thanks for the replies just gonna have to lay down the law with them I don't need anyone getting hurt over someone getting nervous heard to many stories to take the chance.
hogdog05
Strike Dog

TDHA member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 07:35:12 am »

I have had 2 people sneak guns in on me after I told em to not bring them and I was very adamit about it.  Both of them it was there first time out and they all think hogs are these giant beasts that are gonna eat them.  They think a pig is gonna run down a trail and their gonna have enough time to skin their gun and kill it before it gets to them.  One guy I found out he had it when we got back to the truck, he never pulled it out or anything.  The second guy pulled his out on a bay when I had the hog flipped and asked for a leash to get dogs off.  I looked up and he was putting his pistol in his pocket so he could give me a leash.  Whew was I hot went to yelling right their.  Needless to say they are not allowed to go with me anymore. 

Brandon Taylor
214-347-3564  Scurry, TX
H)-(H
Hardcore Hog Hunters
snorty98
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 08:30:06 am »

We only let people with dogs on the ground carry guns.
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:42:36 am »

I like the idea of that policy. No dogs no gun. I have had people say the same thing if they come at me I'm gonna shoot him. Little do they know by the time you see him comin at you there is time for one of two things get hit or move. No time to draw and even attempt a shot much less make one good enough to stop one.
wranglercurs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:15 am »

I dont take a gun so there four no bodys taking a gun.
katchumwcurs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:07 am »

Depending on the people that you are taking,,,,,If they don't have enough respect for your dogs to leave the gun at home,,,,then they probably don't have enough respect not to shoot your dog.
leifbarnes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 10:50:17 am »

I hunted with a landowner last spring, that I trust, and I tried to talk him out of taking his dirty harry but he insisted.  After several back and forth words he had me name off a price on each of the dogs in case one got shot.  I told him that aint none of them worth a chit but I didnt want them shot.  He took it but never pulled it and after catching a couple hogs he understood why its not really needed.  If it would have been anyone else I wouldnt have cut the dogs loose.  Trust both ways has a big part to do with the issue.

Eric Barnes
hounddawgman
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »

took a group of hunters( business men) from omaha,nebraska on a hunt,at a rancher friend of mines request i arrived at there camp just before sunup and all six came from their cabin and you would have thought they were a seal team, they all had semi auto long guns and semi auto pistols on their hips three had face paint, two wore portions of gilly suits, i told there was no f^&*&ing way that all of that sh7t was going in the woods with me and my dogs, i told them to back in that cabin flip a coin or what ever they needed to do to decide who was shooting and that person only could bring a pistol only, once they made there decision i took the lucky man to the side for a come to jesus meeting and told him he was not to even approach the bay until called him forward and the cheapest dog in the truck was $500 and they went up from there
T.Burdine
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 03:36:38 pm »

good subject i carry every hunt and have had people that hunt with me bring guns with them and i tell them up front if you shoot 1 of my dogs your next the only reason i carry is because in the 10 years i have been hog hunting i have been charged at least 7 times by lone hogs on my way to a bay and out of those 7 i have shot and killed 3. now i carry what i like to call my me to dog a shoe shiner she is my house dog and has saved my butt on a couple of occations. you have all of right to tell who ever is hunting with you not to carry like you said put your foot down.
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »

I tell them that we are catching hogs, not shooting hogs and if they are scared, then just stay home.  Grin

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »

I tell them that we are catching hogs, not shooting hogs and if they are scared, then just stay home.  Grin

X100

we dont carry a gun if you scared stay at the house , we anit trying to kill them i like tying them
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »

good story bout this one and i have no idea why i didnt think of it till now. we had some first timers come hunt once and my papa was standin at the truck and here comes these two older guys and one has a nice lookin 357 at his side. my papa walked over and said let me see that and admired it and told the fella, "you dont need this but if your scared hold on" and went to the truck and pulled out my cap gun that was bright orange and put it back in the guys holster.

i bout lost it

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
brad s
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »

What gets me is when u tell them no guns they look at u like u are crazy! I only carry a gun when I go alone or when I leave my bulldog at home I will take my 22mag. I have let people bring guns but I make it very clear to not pull it out. I took some boys one day and caught nice sow and I tied the hog and I was tying dogs up and one of boys walks up and shoots it! I was mad! I told him if he wanted it he could drag it and I was not helping drag it anywhere!

I go where the dogs go!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: