June 16, 2024, 09:59:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hogs in javelina country  (Read 979 times)
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

I have the oppurtunity in the near future to run dogs in west TX again. I'll be batting cleanup against a helicopter pilot and rancher. I like this just fine as I personally believe the helicopter boys are full of crap most often. But the thing that concerns me is javelinas. Most of my dogs ain't trashy, especially my two favorite girls, but, on my last trip just past junction one red dog did learn to leave the porcupines alone!! How much risk do I have of my crew mistakenly trashing on javelinas? And do them things place nice with loose baying dogs?

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
TexasLacy
Strike Dog

Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

I don't know anything about them, but I'd like to see a video of the dogs working them if you happen to get on one.

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Camo~Country
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:05:37 pm »

You better try and stay away from them!!! they dont rip they bite ,and there some mean little hogs!!! I hunt around them all the time,and yes ive ran in to some my dogs got all missed up...I was  Shocked on how mean they are!!!
ole shep
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:16 pm »

The only problem I every had was javaline in on pasture would come to baying dogs and run them off.
Had one plott that would bay them up   Sold him to king ranch as a  javaline bay dog would loose bay about 30 ids off. Did get drunk and siced catch dog on some pigs I saw cross the road, oops javis he caught one, it was tough getting to him to say the least.

There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better. Bow hunter. Bend it and send it. WWT approved
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »

Glad to see this post, always wondered if in Texas ya'll ever had any trouble with your dogs falling off and baying jav. On a side note if any one rounds some up and they find there way to to North East Oklahoma gimme a ring i'd make it worth while  Wink

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
treeingratterrier
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »

If your dogs are not broke off of them they will be shredded to pieces if you dont get to them right away and pray they dont get into a cave or tree or somewhere where they can pack up and let a lead off boar or sow come out like a buffalo and charge the closest dog to them, dont forget they are a game animal, 2 per year and none taken at night.  We used to shoot ever one with a 22 and give them all away, now so many cs game wardens around they will write you up for them down here nowdays. if you got loose baying dogs and no catch dogs you will be miles ahead.

Rat Terriers aka fiests  black white tans, solid black and tans,  solid red,  ratting, squirrel  varmit stock from ranch raised varmit dogs, 10 to 30 pounds  www.crossbowtexas.com (for sale)    www.imageevent.com/treeingratterrier
BigNoseKate
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:43:06 pm »

Javelinas are never any fun... First dogging trip I went on, I saw the whole pack get worked over by them (don't know how many), but it was an eye opener to me... I know from that experience that they are much more limber than a hog... and I have also heard of them attacking dogs around the places we hunt... I've never SEEN it, but I wouldn't doubt it from what I have seen... they don't mess around. I would say be very careful... and if you hear the most horrible screaching you've ever heard before, get there quick... And I mean turn the after burners on!! Wish you the best of luck!!

Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »

I saw some around Midland and that's what my Mexican buddy said how mean they were, to be honest I kinda laughed inside and thought " Hell I'd sick a jack russell on'em and show you some thing " Guess that shows how much i knew. Now I really want some  Grin

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »

We had to deal with them on the King Ranch in south Texas.  There were lots of regular hogs on that place also and the bird dogs pointed them as well as the quail. The big hogs would lay up in low spots that had grass growing up called sakawiesta. It was pretty high and lots of times you would be on a whole herd of hogs and unable to see them.

The javelinas are a desert animal and did not stay in the sakawiesta like the hogs. They seemed to stay on the higher ground which was not much higher because the land is really flat. They liked the thorny bushes called juesach (sp wee sach). They are different especially if they have pigs. I had a little setter of mine get to close to some and the whole dang herd came out ready to fight. They bite like a dog and can hurt your dogs.

Some of the guides had them run dogs as well as hunters back to the trucks and they had to shoot them from its protection. Sometimes they run and sometimes they don't. Their population cycles and some years there are more than others. They seem to always be in a herd and never single javelinas.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 09:12:40 am »

Three years ago, and previous years, I've gone down south of Hebbronville, TX to a family friend's ranch named Las Campanas. This is a big, high fence game ranch and there are a lot of Javys all over it. They roll in big packs, and most of them are the same size. From what I've seen of them, the females get the biggest and are definitely the most aggressive. They range from about 50-120lbs, and I didn’t see one bigger than that. If they’re out there, then they are not on his ranch bigger than that, but there are a lot of them. They are so aggressive they will run BIG buck out of the sanderos while the bucks are in rut, and if you have ever hunted bucks in the rut then you know how stubborn they can be. Pretty cool though.
This one was about 65-75lbs.

They all have razors like this…

These two were about (l-r) 100ish and 85-90lbs.

This one about 100ish…

If I can find the video I took I'll post it for you so that you can see the pack of em come out of the brush.

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: