April 28, 2024, 04:46:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do y'all think?  (Read 895 times)
adamp
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:01 pm »

My gypsy dog(1/2blackmouth 1/4cat 1/4)is about to come into heat and I want to get a second litter out of her. I have bred her once to my buddies male cat and they all are turning into dogs. I passed up on her last heat so she could get back in the woods but she is getting older and starting to get really catchy. I want one more litter out of her but would like to mix some of that hound nose into her instead of breeding to my male bmc. Got a male really rough bluetick with a pretty tight mouth and was thinking of making the cross which would make the pups 1/2bluetick 1/4bmc 1/8cat 1/8dogo. What do y'all think??

dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:10:39 pm »

Might be open but if you don't mind it then try it. One way of thinking is to not hunt your breeding dogs. If they are throwing good pups keep them back so you always have good dogs.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
JohnathanB
Hog Dog Pup

little catch dog in the making! lol

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:05:00 pm »

Personally I'd breed to the bmc but I believe that open hounds is what is making our hogs run more these days. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion. I have always been partial to bmcs. I like how a hound will saty with them and get out further but everytime we take hounds we can't even get horses unloaded before they are 5 miles away...lol

Johnathan
waylon-N.E. OK
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:12:41 pm »

I bet you get some silent dogs and some open ones out of it, that's been my experience when breeding a silent dog to an open one. Had a bird dog walker cross coon dog once, she would open when she first struck and then she would only bark treed'ed after that. If you like both dogs I'd try it JMO

Specializing in hard to find cold nosed armadillo dogs.
Osage County,Oklahoma
http://www.ok-federation-of-coonhunters.webs.com/
adamp
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:07 am »

I bet you get some silent dogs and some open ones out of it, that's been my experience when breeding a silent dog to an open one. Had a bird dog walker cross coon dog once, she would open when she first struck and then she would only bark treed'ed after that. If you like both dogs I'd try it JMO

Personally I'd breed to the bmc but I believe that open hounds is what is making our hogs run more these days. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion. I have always been partial to bmcs. I like how a hound will saty with them and get out further but everytiqme we take hounds we can't even get horses unloaded before they are 5 miles away...lol

The bluetick is my buddies. The open part is my biggest complaint about hounds, but it is true that it's hard to match the nose and hunt that comes with them. I can deal with yipping on hot track a little or after it breaks if they find hogs. But not five miles away

Might be open but if you don't mind it then try it. One way of thinking is to not hunt your breeding dogs. If they are throwing good pups keep them back so you always have good dogs.

- you may be right. I have thought about retiring her as she already runs free around my front yard, just can't seem to leave her behind

adamp
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »

I will be breeding to a trainers ridge dog. Can't take the chance with them all being open as this might be her last litter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: