March 28, 2024, 06:47:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Standard American Bulldogs  (Read 20703 times)
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

I will definatley go that route (Americanlegendz). I'd just have to make it to TX Smiley We may be making a trip not too far off over yonder to visit another dogman so I will have to be in touch.

@ uglydog: Thank you much for your insight, we are definatley on the same page.

I like to be careful with my large dogs. (In my opinion) Size gives power, but I don't want to lose wind and stamina.......

That's why I like his longer muzzle, his deep chest, long neck, long strong back with a nice springy back end.......

I have owned, and worked with Brachycephalic or 'smooshy' muzzled type breeds...and while they may have good bites, they (from my personal observations) have less ability to stay in hold for longer durations due to respiratory constriction. I'm not downing any dogs, it's just a matter of my personal observations and what I feed that works great for me. For being such a big dog, (around 90lbs @ 2yrs old) this guy has impressive endurance.

We have been offered a half sister to my Beef dog. We'll see if we end up with her or not. He's a workin' SOB and a good one at that, so I definatley want offspring off of him, I'm just making sure it's only to another WORKING dog. This thread has turned out awesome! I've been enjoying reading and looking over the pics.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:59 am »

The best thing I can tell you is take time and do your research. Go see the dogs, lay hands on them, watch them work. Go visit as many breeders as you can before you make your decision. Come to think of it...that's a pretty sound recommendation for any working breed.
magnuml
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 11:01:52 am »

The best thing I can tell you is take time and do your research. Go see the dogs, lay hands on them, watch them work. Go visit as many breeders as you can before you make your decision. Come to think of it...that's a pretty sound recommendation for any working breed.
Another serious hog hunter with Great American Bulldogs for you MrsLouisianaHogDog. old school standard stuff. Scott, I should have known you were on here.
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 04:23:51 pm »

I hope you all keep in touch and keep Us updated with the progress on these dogs . I too enjoy a large dog, but I want the dog tall and not wide. If he was a "standard" type I was looking for I would most likely be PRO purebred if the temperament was in line with what I have now I would be looking hard for those type of dogs again.

I LOVE an AB, but MOST are not the dog dog I fell in love with too many could not measure up and we had to cross breed to see the "type" the INTERNET makes communication much easier.
A dog that weighs 75-90 lbs and 23-24 inches at withers with a muzzle that is equal as long as the rest of the skull. A leg that equal to the length of the topline. wth the hipline being just slightly higher than the shoulder,  Thats a physical description without being able to draw a picture of whats in a desirable physical profife of my Catch dogs . Temperment, thats one I am even more PICKY about, but its all a package deal!

I think Yall have some really nice dogs and should work on keeping Good Working type dogs available, So not everyone has to think of an AB as a WHALE.

would like too see more the Ameriocan legend dogs, the one with all the pigmented spots, I know its just color but I dont see that coloring much and our old dog had those skin coloring but not in his coat. 

INABs
Strike Dog

American bulldogs that Work... BRILLIANT!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »

Scott hit the nail on the head with what he said and it is and has been the biggest down fall to this breed for decades.   Don't listen to all the talk,  go out and see the dogs work and put your hands on them personally.   There are great dogs being bred but ten times more bad ones.   Although my expectations are a lot higher then most, it is a lesson I learned the hard way.     

Do not be afraid, because I am with you.  Do not be intimidated; I am your God.  I will strengthen you.  I will help you.  I will support you with my victorious right hand.   Isaiah 41:10
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »

American Legendz (Juan) and magnuml (Lee) know their bulldogs and both have some nice dogs with great lines! Scott has some nice dogs too (although I've never talked to him but have seen them). I like several bulldogs in your dog's pedigree but like someone else said, he'd be more of a hybrid with that Boyd blood. Here's my catch dog which is mostly old standard blood.
magnuml
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:51 pm »

American Legendz (Juan) and magnuml (Lee) know their bulldogs and both have some nice dogs with great lines! Scott has some nice dogs too (although I've never talked to him but have seen them). I like several bulldogs in your dog's pedigree but like someone else said, he'd be more of a hybrid with that Boyd blood. Here's my catch dog which is mostly old standard blood.

Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy. you know i have a dog that looks alot like that one. LOL. Maybe a sister. lol.
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:49 pm »

Here you Ugly dog. 
Ghost Rider as he was growing up.  over 2 years old in this first pic. 

10 months old

10 months old

One of his female pups with a performance bulldog

A male ghost rider pup with a standard bitch. 

A male pup Reedy sent to Jam up bulldogs in Florida.  Ghost x Sidney (old southern bulldog)

Reedy working that spring pole as a pup.  All of Ghost Riders pups have been drivey and nice hunting prospects.  As you can see Reedy got those under spots from his dad. 

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 06:54:11 pm »

My "yard" dog Sissy. 6year old "white bulldog"

Catchin hogs cracker style
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »

hey warren , tell us the history on your families line of bulldogs .  for the first time in 20 years of catchin bad cattle i needed a bulldog to catch a bull the other day and i'm starting to get interested in the old southern whites .
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »

What's up Mr. John. No papers or famous names associated with my dogs.  Where I'm from paper used to wipe your ass with. My blood goes back to some Indian friends  my family has had the honor of knowing for over a century. Their from around the Lorida area. My Grandfather also had some dogs from down around Davie. Stock bred working dogs sure 'nuff. Fairly good at gathering and bunching all buy themselves(although not for very long Grin) and rough enough to "swallow ones nose" when needed Wink I will say that Don Mathews from Fort Pierce, has some good old blood around. My uncle and one cousin have some of his blood and they are fine dogs. I believe TNHillbilly has some of that blood posted above. Might have to try a pup from him sometime. Hope your wife is doing well. When turkey season ends, were going to have to make a hunt, maybe even get TNHillbilly in on it.

Catchin hogs cracker style
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »

What's up Mr. John. No papers or famous names associated with my dogs.  Where I'm from paper used to wipe your ass with. My blood goes back to some Indian friends  my family has had the honor of knowing for over a century. Their from around the Lorida area. My Grandfather also had some dogs from down around Davie. Stock bred working dogs sure 'nuff. Fairly good at gathering and bunching all buy themselves(although not for very long Grin) and rough enough to "swallow ones nose" when needed Wink I will say that Don Mathews from Fort Pierce, has some good old blood around. My uncle and one cousin have some of his blood and they are fine dogs. I believe TNHillbilly has some of that blood posted above. Might have to try a pup from him sometime. Hope your wife is doing well. When turkey season ends, were going to have to make a hunt, maybe even get TNHillbilly in on it.

I may have the dog you are talking about of Toms (tnhillbilly) if you are talking about spider.... She has been a mess for me lately but I still have her Undecided

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:40 am »

"Where I'm from paper used to wipe your ass with.”

Dam you guys using that type of paper!!!!  That seems like it would be hard on your butt!! Ha j/k I get your expression. 

"My blood goes back to some Indian friends  my family has had the honor of knowing for over a century."

Sometimes this is just the blood one needs to cross into for a nice outcross.  I love that old stuff from the south.  If it clicks right it can be some nice bulldog blood.  The guy I got my first white bulldogs from use to go around the south picking up dogs from southern folks who didn't much care for papers and all that jazz.  He ended up buying several hill bulldogs and started crossing them up with other hard catching females to make some real nice stuff.  The kind of stuff I was brought up with.  Of course mine had papers but might as well have used them for wiping butts (can't see using that hard ass paper lol) because most names on the pedigree were made up around the kitchen table.  I like your dog Warren and keep the family tradition going with these types of bulldogs.
mex
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

Here are a couple of pics of my Hobo dog.He is strong Hines bred from Crib and Yellow Hammer Kennels.He is also proven and my little girls guardian.This is the most athletic dogs I have owned.Pics are older and do not do justice.

"it's not the dying im afraid of.....it's the living"
-lonesome dove
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »

Mrs Louisianna,  now that I have seen your other posts on APBT's and your ped I will respectfully say this in regards to your thoughts on breeding your good looking and working AB. Use him,enjoy him and work him but if you breed him you will be disapointed,he has alot of sub par dogs close in his ped and chances are he will not produce like himself,he has too much bully blood. The Hudspeth dogs are junk IMO and I have seen them first hand, there is some Pickett blood in there that is historically junk as well (first hand) there are soome fair to good dogs in there but they are bully or hybrid and few working dogs period. Any good breeder with a good gyp wood turn this male away based on ped alone as good AB gyps don't fall off trees,Abs are alot different than the dogs you seem to know well  Wink  If I were you I would goto maybe some of the folks mentioned here in this thread and get you one or two more bred for work with a standard type ped to match so you can produce you some more down the line as looking at you APBT peds you seem like you could prolly put some good dogs together givin the right goods. I hope you don't take this a s an insult as I think the dog looks good and if he works as well as you say that is even better but that bully stuff will pop out on you, I fool with both standard and hybrid AB's and this is just my experince and opinion and I hope you understand my point of view trying to type it to you vs a good conversation.

Here is a standard ped for my old Shiner dog RIP

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=903603

One of his son out of a hybrid gyp out of working woods and comp catch dogs.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/american_bulldog/dog.html?id=1328564

I don't have anything to sell and all just some thoughts as these are my bulldog of choice since walking away from the good ones ha ha ...

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 05:34:19 pm »

Thank you very much Mr. Bryant on your informative insight!

Yes, I do know APBT's very, very well, but as I said, I am a student in the American Bulldog world, and the only way to learn more about something is to listen to the folks that know what they're talking about! Thank you, and all the other Am Bull experienced folks here for all the helpful knowledge. I have been taking notes  Smiley

I also know, that even in the APBT world, most often you cannot find a dog, no matter how amazing he may be, that doesn't have at least one sub-par dog in their lineage.

I will think long and hard before breeding him if I do, and be very choosy as to what I back to him, and believe you me, I wil cull HARD. His sire, Tuff, is well known for throwing dogs of the standard type when bred to a variation of bitches. Though I do understand what you're saying.

Again, thank you to all who have been so helpful. It's greatly appreciated.  Smiley My ears are open.

UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 07:05:24 pm »

Thanks for getting what I was getting at  Wink

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:55 pm »

Don Matthews is a good friend of mine and magnuml's. My dog came from Don off of the Spider dog mentioned above by Peachcreek. Don has a lot of good working blood. You should check out Konfederate Kennels if you get in the market for a good bulldog!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »

Thanks for getting what I was getting at  Wink

No problem! By the way...the Pee Wee dog...is in FINE condition in that photo! That's one attractive bulldog there...

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:53 am »

bryant,  nkc was at it again lol. the pickett dogs on that ped were not picketts pride dogs. big daddy diesel was a belly brother to the mother of henry torrezes tyson dog. and diesel  had a bst  etc and when bred to jade produced crimson who had a bst etc also. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: