April 23, 2024, 10:09:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Catch Dogs (How Many Have)  (Read 17532 times)
Bar R Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2013, 06:47:16 pm »

What cut gear you runnin?

And yes, I sell my culls.

1. Registered Bluetick Gyp-1yr old    Sold for $100 to coonhunter for breedingand papers. Hog broke her young.
2. Blue nose Pit- 1yr Old                 Sold for $100 To another hog hunter Who leads in. I expect mine to hunt as well not just a lead in.
3. Catahoula- 6 months old             Sold for $200 to fellow Hog hunter. Would not do squat in bay pen, littermates love a hog made her look dumb. She was merle with Glass eyes.

Looks sold her. But i did clarify to buyer how she does in pen even gave her a test drive in my pen to prove it. Why? Let me guess you just shoot your culls? Why not try to make money off of them. If your honest about the dog before hand and buyer still wants then why should you deny??
Wow. Thats all I can say.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2013, 07:42:12 pm »

If it wasn't for culls I wouldn't have a dog.  Smiley It can be frustrating but some will still make a dog. Every dog I have I got from someone that didn't like something about them. One was to rough. One was crazy and wouldn't hunt out far enough and checked in to often. One kept trying to climb out the bay pen. The last one the guy wanted to start running loose dogs and a RCD didn't fit in and he was to much trouble to lead in.

Shotgun
CENTEX FINDER/HOLDERS
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:54 am »

Lol

Mrs. Louisiana
That's exactly what Im saying. I put a lot of time and patients into my dogs. Sometimes years trying to bring out the dogs potential that I see in it. There comes a time when decisions must be made and time has proved the obvious, that the dog in question is not cut out for the job being asked of it. In this case Striking and Catching come hell or high water, stand in his or her guts hardness and still hold so I can get there to kill the hog and save the dog. Some of the dogs I try just don't have it when it comes right down to it. I'm trying to create a line of dogs with hunt drive, intelligence, and stand in the guts hardness. Bottom line when they don't meet those criteria I send them down the road and someone gets a pretty darn good dog.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:50 am »

Sorry Mrs Lousiana, I thought Centex Asked me what i did with my culls sarcastically, i was skimmin and thats what i get lol sorry.

No worries...... Smiley

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:35 am »

Lol

Mrs. Louisiana
That's exactly what Im saying. I put a lot of time and patients into my dogs. Sometimes years trying to bring out the dogs potential that I see in it. There comes a time when decisions must be made and time has proved the obvious, that the dog in question is not cut out for the job being asked of it. In this case Striking and Catching come hell or high water, stand in his or her guts hardness and still hold so I can get there to kill the hog and save the dog. Some of the dogs I try just don't have it when it comes right down to it. I'm trying to create a line of dogs with hunt drive, intelligence, and stand in the guts hardness. Bottom line when they don't meet those criteria I send them down the road and someone gets a pretty darn good dog.

I hear you, totally. I guess it really all boils down to personal beliefs. We don't let too many dogs leave our yard, but when they do, they go to hard working homes, where they will be put to the test. The rare times we do any breeding, we too have certain expectations for said offspring as they mature. We too put alot of work, time and money into our dogs. When the time comes, if a dog doesn't make the cut, I feel that being *I* created said dog with a purpose, it is my responsibility to cull them. Now, if there is a special circumstance where maybe I feel said dog may do very well on another type of game, or in another terrain, I will attempt to place the dog with someone who can utilize the dog, but if I feel that the dog is a cull through and through, I will do what needs to be done. I find that as my responsibility. It all depends on the specific dog, and what it is or is not lacking. I'm just personally not a fan of passing on a dog that I consider a cull. I think the confusion/debate on the subject of culling stems from the fact that alot of folks have a different defination of the word "cull" and what it means exactley.

CENTEX FINDER/HOLDERS
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2013, 11:32:30 am »

~Krystale~
The word cull is pretty broad anyway. It kind of needs defining on an individual basis. Expl. A Whitetail high fence cull may be a 150 class buck, but on my wall it looks pretty good to me. In my yard I may have Catdo or an English pointer that's highly trained, great at finding hogs and gets out to thousand yards. But if that dog backs up and bays for me it's a cull. However that's a damn good strike dog to somebody else. A turd is turd. And you can't polish one. That kind of dog never leaves. I apologize if I'm beating this to death, just trying to clarify.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

~Krystale~
The word cull is pretty broad anyway. It kind of needs defining on an individual basis. Expl. A Whitetail high fence cull may be a 150 class buck, but on my wall it looks pretty good to me. In my yard I may have Catdo or an English pointer that's highly trained, great at finding hogs and gets out to thousand yards. But if that dog backs up and bays for me it's a cull. However that's a damn good strike dog to somebody else. A turd is turd. And you can't polish one. That kind of dog never leaves. I apologize if I'm beating this to death, just trying to clarify.

Right on. Depends on the context in which the word is being used.

A turd is indeed a turd....haha....I like that

Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »

Here is another question. If one of y'all have a dog that isn't up to your par but for someone else it may fit their style or atleast be a good addition. Why not have it cut then send it on. This would prevent others from getting ur blood and ensure the cull u passed on was not bred. Like this that man is getting one dog not a bloodline that he could spread bad dogs from.

Shotgun
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26:05 pm »

Excellent idea. I plan to do the same.
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

In my yard I may have Catdo or an English pointer that's highly trained, great at finding hogs and gets out to thousand yards. But if that dog backs up and bays for me it's a cull.

What? I can understand a Catdo, but a pointer really? ew thats gross, almost as bad as a walker.....
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »

Also centex, Your dogs that rough what cut gear you run?
CENTEX FINDER/HOLDERS
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »

In my yard I may have Catdo or an English pointer that's highly trained, great at finding hogs and gets out to thousand yards. But if that dog backs up and bays for me it's a cull.

What? I can understand a Catdo, but a pointer really? ew thats gross, almost as bad as a walker.....
Lol
Yeah I have one right now, and he's a great dog but not hard enough. 
I run a combination of Aussie gear and a similar American version my buddy makes called a hairy holder. The Aussie stuff is Duncan's, Pigga Frigga, and JS Enterprises. The Holders are just as we'll crafted and local with a few customizations( or upgrades) the Aussies take a real minimalist view on cut gear so he's added a few things like jaw flaps and wider girth straps. They're made primarily out of seatbelt. They take alot of hits and very seldom even get a poke thru. If the dog holds clean there's not much to worry about.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2013, 05:21:44 am »

I have 1 Duncan plate and 1 Pigga Frigga plate.
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2013, 06:39:26 am »

Dont believe i've ever seen that stuff. I'm gonna do some research thanks!

I do like your comment, "If the dog holds clean, theres not much to worry about" We hardly ever used cut gear around here. Kinda behind times i guess. (just got a trackin system here recently) But Buddy of mine had a game bred pit, about 50lbs or so and when he would catch, he would roll up under the hog stay there caught till you broke him off. You would get there and only see the hog standing there with his head cocked. Kinda sketchy at first.

Hunted a pit and a jack russel together for a long time. Caught alot of hogs that way. Never wore cut vest his entire life.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2013, 01:20:09 pm »

Good for the summer time as they are not as hot as regular catch vest. My dogs run loose but u still have watch them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: