April 29, 2024, 03:10:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Catch Dogs (How Many Have)  (Read 17557 times)
ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:19 pm »

I've had bulldogs and bulldog crosses that would run a mile to the bay and catch or you could walk them in to a bay and catch.  If you saw a hog you could turn that dog to the hog and it would catch it.    To me and in my opinion those are just catch dogs and every catch dog does that for me or gets culled.  What most people refer to as running catch dogs are strike dogs or one out dogs or enduro dogs that catch hogs and do not bay.  They can be any cross or purebred as long as they find and catch the hog.  If you're having to use a strike dog first that bays and then turning the catch dog loose then thats just simply a catch dog. 
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 06:56:09 pm »

RCD= running catch dog, not catching strike dog. A running catch dogs job is to run loose and catch just like a catch dog on a lead but running loose. A strike dog that catches is a catching strike dog. Any dog can come across a hog in the woods but that doesn't mean they are a strike dog. A running catch dog shouldn't actively hunt, just run loose and catch what the strike dogs find. Makes sense to me.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 07:38:09 pm »

Thats the way I have always thought Buddylee.

TexasHogDogs

Jim

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
RIP
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 09:24:12 pm »

That's exactly how we use my bulldog.  She is a running catch dog, as in she runs loose and immediately runs to any bay in earshot.  She has occasionally caught a few hogs on her own without a strike dog finding them first but her job in our pack is to run loose and catch hogs when they are bayed up or to shut down any runners. That's my definition of a running catch dog(rcd).

The higher that the monkey can climb, the more he shows his tail.-Tom Waits
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 09:24:35 pm »

you stir up more trouble than our new president.  L3 we need to come back down there or when you go to mavs give me a call might make a run down there too we can hunt panther creek oh waid nvm dont have a rcd right now but have a good cur and a good help dog that is starting to find his own hogs lol
quickfire
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 11:17:54 am »

IMO if you need a RCD then run one. When I got into hog hunting I bought a dog off a fella that was honest with me told me her quirks (very catchy but needs help) She finds allot of hogs but she will try to catch so she needs a RCD or a rough cur with her at all times other wise you are going for a race.
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »

Basy dogs??? Never seen one in action. LOL all my dogs catch on sight.

Hell Hounds are loose!
fonzie
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 02:12:20 pm »

I'd like to try a mastiff/dane cross... Allot of Aussie hunters use them and they do great as finders holders type dogs.. anyone on here use them or have tried them?
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 11:09:37 pm »

I hunted behind one, I couldn't hear the bay cause his breathing was so loud. Solid dog just to much dog, a pit or cur can do the same job with half the food bill.LOL

Hell Hounds are loose!
Dogs,hogs,coons
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:09 am »

Reading old threads and saw this one. My main problem with big dogs or "one out" is they are horrible in brush I'm sorry but I have never seen a Great Dane or for that fact any big dog that can keep up at all in thick brush. Also they have to be the worst at crossing fences. Where I hunt we have 5 wire barbed wire fences and in some places 6. So until you get that monster to jump over a fence. I don't find much use for them in my woods.

Drake Plumb
Terrell TX
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:45 pm »

I ran a full blooded pit for a long time by himself. Caught a good bit of hogs with him solo. My buddy has a bird bull/ Campbell cross that is a very long range dog and its maybe 50lbs if not 40 and he is a one out dog. Has the heart of a catchdog gets cut up a lot but he's still going strong just a matter a time
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »

ohhhh tha memories ... i often wonder .... whatever hapened to l3 , bigl and toothless old hound ..... sniff sniff   Wink

oh well i guess we'll here back from them sooner or later  Smiley Smiley
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 12:12:07 am »

Ninja,
The key to the rcd which stands for running catch dog, which means the dog finds the hog and then catches it, is to use cut collars and vests and get to the dogs as fast as possible.

When I am referring to a RCD, I am talking about a catch dog that is running loose either near me, or with the strike dogs. bulldog, cur, or any cross...Just no bay, all catch.  I expect the strike dogs to find the hog, and the RCD to catch the hogs.

I think what you and I are calling RCD are two different dogs... difference is yours finds hogs, mine does not.

I agree with you on what a rcd is. You don't expect your walk in catch dog to find a hog, so why should your rcd find one
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:00 am »

The key to the rcd which stands for running catch dog, which means the dog finds the hog and then catches it, is to use cut collars and vests and get to the dogs as fast as possible.
When I am referring to a RCD, I am talking about a catch dog that is running loose either near me, or with the strike dogs. bulldog, cur, or any cross...Just no bay, all catch.  I expect the strike dogs to find the hog, and the RCD to catch the hogs.
I think what you and I are calling RCD are two different dogs... difference is yours finds hogs, mine does not.
[/quote]
I agree with you on what a rcd is. You don't expect your walk in catch dog to find a hog, so why should your rcd find one
[/quote]

Thought dogos were supposed to find and catch?
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:58 am »

Asking not instigating ^
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2013, 03:37:18 am »

ohhhh tha memories ... i often wonder .... whatever hapened to l3 , bigl and toothless old hound ..... sniff sniff   Wink

oh well i guess we'll here back from them sooner or later  Smiley Smiley

I believe toothless old still trolls the boards from time to time.  laugh
I miss his stories too and sure do wish he'd chime in every once In a while!!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013, 07:24:21 am »

Reading old threads and saw this one. My main problem with big dogs or "one out" is they are horrible in brush I'm sorry but I have never seen a Great Dane or for that fact any big dog that can keep up at all in thick brush. Also they have to be the worst at crossing fences. Where I hunt we have 5 wire barbed wire fences and in some places 6. So until you get that monster to jump over a fence. I don't find much use for them in my woods.

Too each his own. I have some big dogs. No they can't run thru brush quite as fast but even small dogs can't keep up with a 50 lb pig in briars.
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:29 am »

[/quote]

Thought dogos were supposed to find and catch?
[/quote]

I'll be the first to tell you Dogos don't have the best nose. We have one female that will pick up on one that's close but that's it. But there's a breeder who uses an all Dogo pack in Argentina who finds hogs with them.
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »

I have yet to own a Dogo that can't find it's own hog. Granted I have only had five. In fact, I used to hunt, and catch quite a few hogs, with just a Dogo. Even out in dry places like Lubbock. When o went to lubbock, the only dog i took with me was my Soco dog, and he found plenty out there. In my opinion, if the Dogos ain't findin their own hogs, and that is what they are supposed to do, they are culls. I don't care how good they catch. I can go get a pit that will hang on as good as a Dogo. Now that I am in a position to have more dogs, the Dogos are more of a passion than necessity for me, but they still better be able to find their own hog, or they are gonna get culled.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 06:54:00 pm »

Guess my Dogos are culls then
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: