March 29, 2024, 10:18:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spaying or neutering question...  (Read 1326 times)
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:22:40 pm »

at what age do you all feel it is best to spay or neuter a dog if you deem it necessary??   

and what criteria do you all use for such a decision (why to spay or neuter)??
La Historia Dogo
Bay Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »

You may get differing opinions for the dogs I breed, I don't want them neutered or spayed before 18 months.

shawn
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:50:08 pm »

I had a dog that was about 9 months, when I got him....he was already neutered, didnt affect his hatred for pigs, lol...he was a very cool dog too, never had a problem with him and another dog in the woods...

I'm probably gonna have all mine fixed before long, seems to be less of a PIA especially with females.

The only problem, is watch their weight, the same dog I'm talking about was chunky, and I fed him even less than what I'd normally feed a dog his size, he was hunted and excersised a lot too.

dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »

i'm not worried about it effecting their prey drive.  i'm just curious at what age you all feel its safe or plausible to get your dog spayed or neutered. 

thanks
Jordan
shawn
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:18:54 am »

ask your vet, probably around 6-9 months

Lyssy
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:22:49 am »

I work for a vet one recomends at 4 months and the other vet says she prefers to do it at 6 months or older. So whatever you feel is a good time, but i have a buddy that spayed his lead strike dog and she still gets out about 2 miles and we have ran her up to 13 miles on a creek bottom. but some people would say that cutting a dog or spaying them will take the drive out of them; i believe it straightins the cricks out of them.

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:50 pm »

You should wait until there hormones have had long enough to develop around 9-12 mo. on avg. especially if you want them for any work after they are developed they should go back to working just like they were before- i have seen it a handfull of times in my cd's it never effected them- However i have heard it makes them gain wait, I personally think it just means i feed them less.
nosightsneeded
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:03:22 pm »

i neutered my My dog at a year and he has really started to come on, it may be me it seems like he minds better , but he has gotten more sensitive to my voice.
hoghunterswife
Bay Dog

mandy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 03:51:56 pm »

i would wait till the female has her first heat and ona a male after their equipment has droped

bay'em up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: