March 28, 2024, 03:30:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hunting florida curs  (Read 24749 times)
cetchdawg
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 12:24:31 am »

cetchdawg, Do you sell a pup from time to time?

I have a litter on the ground as we speek but they were all spoken for before 6 weeks !!  i am workin with one of them now and he is doin pretty good a lil shy but i know he will turn out !!! i dont want to push him but he is showing enough interest at 6 weeks for me!!

Chaz Penwright @ myspace.com
lotsa old pics
http://community.webshots.com/user/cetchdawg
JSEAY
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:16 am »

Pecos I hear you on the development going on in Davenport.  I've lived in the area for 14 years and can remember hunting groves and sand mines in the area now their nothing but homes and golf courses  Angry  Sorry for getting off topic.
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 11:07:39 am »

I am probably older ( or can I just say experienced...LOL) than most of you guys and can't begin to tell you the changes I have seen here if Fla.  I have been hog hunting in Fla since I was about 18....and I will be 50 in August. Thats 32 years of folowing dogs through palmettos, swamps, Ti Ti thickets, mangroves, etc etc.
It just saddens me to see places we used to hunt, now have houses, businesses and such as far as you can see and roads everywhere. I can remember when 192 through Kissimmee was a 2 lane road with nothing but cow pastures and orange groves...now look at it. Doesn't seem like progress to me...looks like greed.
All this talk nowadays about "going green" they should have started that movement about 50 years ago. Then maybe there would still be more green places instead of asphalt and houses.....anyway, thats a sore subject for me.....

Ninga, the Partin dogs look good. I have been to Mike Partins house several times and Roy Partins too, buying bulls and looking at dogs. I tried to breed my Dixie female to Mike's old Stumpy dog, but she didn't take. Every "true" Partin dog I have ever seen on their place was either yellow or black & tan. I never saw a leopard colored dog, brindle dog or anything else.

Here are a couple of pics of different litters of pups I have had over the past years. You can see I get ringencks in every litter.
Does the yellow ringneck on his back look spoiled??? LOL That is the Spur dog in the pic in an above post with the listed boar on the dogbox.

My dogs used to be really rough, catch on contact type of dogs and are still pretty rough. I have gone to hunting one dog at a time or one grown dog and one young dog together. I can't turn out two grown dogs or they are still going to pretty much catch, even though I have tried for less catch and more baying. One year, we caught over 150 BOAR hogs (not sows and not barrs, just boars we cut, marked and released) with just one bay dog (my Dixie female) and one lead in catch dog (her littermate brother Rock). That shows you don't need a whole pack on the ground to catch hogs.

Here are the puppy pics. All these dogs are now grown, several are dead.

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
Pecos21
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 04:31:24 pm »

Pecos I hear you on the development going on in Davenport.  I've lived in the area for 14 years and can remember hunting groves and sand mines in the area now their nothing but homes and golf courses  Angry  Sorry for getting off topic.

Yah the Ol' Standard Sand Mines...... Grin And out at Loughman.....I will prolly be coming down to my Dad's in Davenport next Spring. I am going to try to get me another Florida Cur while I am down there, unless We fly.......
JSEAY
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 07:40:14 pm »

They have even cleared that place probably 900 acres of it.  They have a subdivsion behind the mines now with an 18 hole golf course.  I can't even stand to think about what they have done to those woods and swamp land.  I have permision to hunt it but it's a waste of time.
ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »

Do you think these florida cur dogs could stop a hog?

Pecos21
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 08:07:32 pm »

Do you think these florida cur dogs could stop a hog?

I have that same pic on my 'Puter.......awesome pic!!!!!!!
ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 08:12:33 pm »

A real nice partin cur male owned by troy crouch

ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 08:54:21 pm »

100% partin florida cracker curs

ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 08:56:30 pm »

partin curs

Pecos21
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 05:22:24 am »

I know finding a Florida Cur that is available isn't as easy as it once was for me!!!! Man they are hard to come by!!!!  Which is why the breed still maintains it's integrity I guess............the "market" isn't flooded with them. That ringneck yellow dog I had an Old Cowboy gave to me at a horse sale in Quitman, GA. Man he was a good un but have been unable to find any "available" since he passed.
ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 07:25:19 am »

You are so right pecos21.  I've lived in florida my whole life, have access to ranches and cowboy buddies and know who has the dogs and its still hard for me to get any.  The partin family never sells any and most of the other cowboys don't sell any.  Most people that say they have florida curs really don't.  A true florida cur is one that comes from lines like the partin, morgan, peeples, sellers, norfleet, or real cowboys that use their dogs daily to work cows and have been doing so for a long time and have developed working lines from more than 4 or 5 generations.  You can't cross a blackmouth and leopard and say its a florida cur because its in florida.  If you can't trace your dogs back to working cow dog lines then its probably not a florida cur.  As you can see from most of the pictures the dogs have a unique look. The most important thing about florida curs is that they are working dogs, never show dogs and the ones that don't work are culled.  This is what has made them what they are.  Anyone looking for any I would say don't, you'll never find one.  If you can find a cowboy that has one for sale you'd better jump on it. 
ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »

As you can see from the similar looks of these partin curs and the rest of the pups and florida curs posted here, the florida cur is a breed of its own.  The most important thing and what makes the dogs so good is that they come from working backgrounds, whether cows or hogs, any nonworking unhealthy dogs are usually culled. There are no florida cur puppy mills, and they are harder than most to get.    Who knows exactly what went into these florida cur lines but whatever it is it worked. Whether they make a full circle on cattle like a partin or catch and hold or bay they are working dogs first and foremost.

ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2009, 12:15:57 am »

I know there are a lot of cattle ranches in texas, more than in any other state.  I would think that a lot of those dogs coming off the old ranches would be similar to the florida cur.  I'd like to see how many are  being used for hog hunting in texas, what they look like and how they hunt.  There has got to be some old texas cur cow dog lines out there.
Pecos21
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2009, 08:26:18 am »

I know there are a lot of cattle ranches in texas, more than in any other state.  I would think that a lot of those dogs coming off the old ranches would be similar to the florida cur.  I'd like to see how many are  being used for hog hunting in texas, what they look like and how they hunt.  There has got to be some old texas cur cow dog lines out there.

Yah you may be correct in that statement, but where I live in Texas now, there aren't a whole lot of dogs being used on raches. It is almost taboo to use a dog here and I am not sure why. The only thing I can figure is that some hero got him some dogs and went into the "cow catching" busines and got some fences torn down.....

I know in North Georgia when I worked for the 4L we used leopard dogs and my ring neck Florida Cur when we went to catch cattle.  I am sure to the South of me they use cur dogs as the terrain is close to that of Florida/ South Georgia. But up here I haven't found but one or two guys that have curs for cattle dogs......most have Heelers they carry around in the back of their truck to let everyone know they are a cowboy..... Grin

I have been in some myrtle thickets and palmetto heads down in Florida with an F1 Braford where I was sure glad I had me a cur dog there to catch her if needed....cuz there was no room for a rope in there.....lol I started out cow hunting with a 12' cow whip and two cur dogs......and didn't know how to operate the cow whip......LOL.....but several whelps later i figured out how to run that cow whip....lol.......now I can cut a cow's ear with one...... Grin
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:50 pm »

About 5 years ago, I met a guy on the internet from Tx. I won't say his name as I am not posting this to bad mouth anyone just want to say what happened to me with a Tx dog.

He had a line of yellow curs (NOT W. Ben dogs) that he said had been in his family for years and were cow and hog dogs. Said they were silent and very cold nosed, go hunting type of dogs. But they were bay dogs, not rough like my dogs. Well, he made them sound really good, so I had to have one. I swapped him one of my pups for one of his pups. I sent him a yellow male that was a littermate to my Red and JJ dogs.
He sent me a yellow ringneck female and the guy that brought my pup back, brought 5 other dogs back from the same guy, but out of different litters. 

I raised that pup with Red and JJ. Treated her like the, started her like them and hunted her like them...for two years. And she never would hunt or bay.......would just follow you in to a bay or caught hog and stand around and wag her tail. Wasn't shy, wasn't scared of a hog, just had no interest in one. Meanwhile, Red and JJ were finding and catching hogs.....

I decided she wasn't going to work for me, so I asked the guy what eh wanted to do with her. Well, he wanted her back as he had lost the mother (she died of old age) during that two years.
He also told me he had gotten the dog from me wrecked and had him in the bathtub hooked to IV's.  Seems he had him out with 3-4 of his dogs and they got on a big bad hog and got across a river or something. He was used to his dogs baying from a distance. The dog from me apparently caught the hog and had no help from the other dogs and got wrecked.

So we traded dogs back even though the dog I got back still had a hole in his chest you could see inside through. The dog I got back died within a month even though I kept him on antibiotics. He just never ate well, and never acted right.

The dog I sent back to Tx, the one that wouldn't hunt, find or bay a hog.....well, she had a litter of Tx pups that year.....

Of the 5 other pups brought back from Tx, and given to 3 other guys, NONE of them made the grade and all were culled.

So I can believe it when you guys say the cur dogs are not used on ranches like they are here in Fla.

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:25 pm »

This little girl is as good as it gets.  She's been baying since she was 3 months old, will roll out 1,000 yards and shut a hog down.  She's got a great nose and is making a top strike dog.  Her brother is my buddies best cow dog and her mom and dad is from one of the best working cow dog lines I've ever seen.  She's a full sister to scott's (realdogs) TJ dog out in texas from a different litter.  She's built right and fast as lightning.  Hopefully I can keep her alive long enough to get a litter out of her.  She has no respect for a bull or a boar hog. This is the gyp I was talking to you about crackerc. 

ninja
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »

another pic.  I forgot to mention she's not even a year old yet.

JDJP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »

You are so right pecos21.  I've lived in florida my whole life, have access to ranches and cowboy buddies and know who has the dogs and its still hard for me to get any.  The partin family never sells any and most of the other cowboys don't sell any.  Most people that say they have florida curs really don't.  A true florida cur is one that comes from lines like the partin, morgan, peeples, sellers, norfleet, or real cowboys that use their dogs daily to work cows and have been doing so for a long time and have developed working lines from more than 4 or 5 generations.  You can't cross a blackmouth and leopard and say its a florida cur because its in florida.  If you can't trace your dogs back to working cow dog lines then its probably not a florida cur.  As you can see from most of the pictures the dogs have a unique look. The most important thing about florida curs is that they are working dogs, never show dogs and the ones that don't work are culled.  This is what has made them what they are.  Anyone looking for any I would say don't, you'll never find one.  If you can find a cowboy that has one for sale you'd better jump on it. 
Sorry thought this was a good post so i thought i would bring it back to life.

never find one? is this true?
I was talking to a guy in okeechobee today who says he has cracker curs that are mostly partin blood.  he says they have no papers, and said most people who say they have partin blood are lying. He says he can trace his bloodline way back. he has kemmer, black mouth, and cracker dogs, he works cattle and hunt hogs. says he prefers the cracker curs.
is this all bull? im going out there soon to check out his dogs again, are there any questions i should ask? any way to semi prove what the dogs really are?

Dylan
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

Junebug   

Smiling like a killer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: