|
hoghunter71409
|
 |
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:02 pm » |
|
I bought 9 used plastic barrels today for new dog houses. It looks as those most of them have been cleaned and the original product/chemical is gone. I am going to re-clean them myself and I was wondering what the best cleaning solution would be. I planned on starting with just soapy water. After that, I am not real sure what to clean with. Any ideas?
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
BA-IV
|
 |
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:25:01 pm » |
|
Hey Jon, if you don't mind, if you know where some more might be for sale I sure need a few.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
charles
|
 |
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:32:45 pm » |
|
i dont know how close you are to lufkin, tx but there is a place between lufkin and huntington that sells all sorts of storage containers from plastic barrles to metal, from 20gal to 55gal. dont know how much they cost but i do need 10 or so for myself. i think its called barrels-r-us
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Why should I trade one tyrant three thousand miles away for three thousand tyrants one mile away? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a king can!
|
|
|
|
SCHitemHard
|
 |
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:05 pm » |
|
i cleaned mine with hot water and dawn, then pressure washed and then bleached them.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Matt H Cleveland, OH
|
|
|
|
Purebreedcolt
|
 |
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:48:52 pm » |
|
There is a guy here in stephenville that sales the clear ones for 3 and blue or black for 5. I just used water and then let them air out for a couple days after I cut the hole in them.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
hoghunter71409
|
 |
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:55:44 pm » |
|
If you will PM me, I'll give you his name and number. This guy has all different kinds and sizes.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
okboarhunter
|
 |
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:51 pm » |
|
i cleaned mine with hot water and dawn, then pressure washed and then bleached them.
That's what I do. Mine are free from work tho  Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
ELIBOLIO
|
 |
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:27 pm » |
|
i cleaned mine with hot water and dawn, then pressure washed and then bleached them.
I did the same ^^^... I did stay away from the barrels that contained harsh chemicals, but if it had food grade material or shamppo or soap stuff, then a good water/bleach cleaning shall do.. IMO I love and prefer the plastic barrel dog houses, heres a pic of how we use them. 
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
SCHitemHard
|
 |
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:48:26 pm » |
|
EliBolio good set up we did the over hang too. if your to worried about the barrel rolling get a pallet and take the main beams (thick ones with the dips where the metal lifts go) and you can lift the barrel off the ground and screw the barrel on top of the wood. also keeps it cool in the summer
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Matt H Cleveland, OH
|
|
|
|
charles
|
 |
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:35 pm » |
|
Purebreed, where at in stephenville? Thats closer to me than drivin to east tx. I need 10 or so. Can u pm me his contact info please?
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
Why should I trade one tyrant three thousand miles away for three thousand tyrants one mile away? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a king can!
|
|
|
|
MrsLouisianaHogDog
|
We get our 55gal plastic barrels from our local feed store. They had horse medication in 'em. Some kinda pepto lookin pink stuff. We soak 'em in bleach water for a bit and hose 'em out real good.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~ www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association* ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
|
|
|
|
ELIBOLIO
|
EliBolio good set up we did the over hang too. if your to worried about the barrel rolling get a pallet and take the main beams (thick ones with the dips where the metal lifts go) and you can lift the barrel off the ground and screw the barrel on top of the wood. also keeps it cool in the summer
Thanx SCH, I would prefer the housr be off the ground, but this will do for now. As for rolling , the 2X6 bolted to the bottom part of the entrance seems to do the trick. That overhang/shade part works great for the rain and extra shade.. I do have the play wood leaned on the side to give more shade aswell..
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
dub
|
I just bolt 2x6 or 2x4 to the front and back so they don't roll. I pick the wood by what scraps are laying around and use the exact measurement of that looks good.  I bolt the wood so the barrel is just off the ground and drill a couple holes in the bottom so it does not hold water. High tech stuff.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
|
|
|
|
kemp
|
If they had any caustic stuff in them, vinegar will neautrilize it and then clean with soap and water
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|
halfbreed
|
i like to have my barrels up off the ground about six inches and i drill some holes direct center on the bottom so any water that gets in them from rain or wet dogs can drain out . i build a frame out of 1 x 12's and cut a semi circle that the barrel sits on and strap them to it . works good and lets air circulate under them in the summer .
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
hattak at ofi piso
469-658-2534
|
|
|
|
txdogos
|
i wish my dogs fit in barrels, igloo dog houses get expensive
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
txdogos / texas dogos
|
|
|
|
Lance
|
Put about 3 gallons of diesel in one and roll them around for about 4 or 5 minutes. Then use a funnel and pour the diesel into another barrel. Put dawn soap and water in the first barrel and roll it around. Then cut the top off and pressure wash it real good. I've been doing this to barrels for years that had all kinds of chemicals in them. keep using the same diesel until all barrels are done. Diesel is too expensive to put fresh diesel in each barrel. Hope this helps.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
A scared dog dont get no meat !
|
|
|
|
justincorbell
|
If anyone in southeast texas needs em shoot me a pm, i have a purty much unlimited supply of em, and (within reason) i can probly offer em to ya'll for the low price of free lol (a hunt won't be turned down lol) My family Owns a brick business and we get em due to using quite a bit of soaps/detergents used for washin brick.....i use em for my dogs and all I use to clean em when i get home is bleach/water and a brush, never had a problem.
"the sun is shining somewhere in texas" -Jason Boland
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
"stupids in the water these days, they're gonna drink it anyway." - Chris Knight
|
|
|
|
Swine-Stalker
|
I had flooding issues before, is why mine are so high. I get my barrels locally (Baton Rouge) for $5 from the Manda Sausage plant. All food grade stuf and just rinse with water. I never had a problem. 
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
|
|
|
|
grunterhunter8
|
Take them to a car wash and use the engine degreaser.
|
|
|
|
|
Logged
|
|
|
|
|