April 19, 2024, 02:29:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Patterdale Terrier as a Hog Dog  (Read 5934 times)
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:06 am »

I've had them for a few years, some lines will not bay anything that they can get to. Some will bay good until it gets rough. Once they turn to the green eyed little monster they will not back up and bay again. Some lines are not worth the lead to blow them up, be knowledable about what your getting, and from who. They don't hunt for you, actually they probably could care less if you were even there, they are not stock dogs, they are predators. They have as much or more natural hunt in their blood then anything I've seen. Very smart dogs, require firm handle, and absolutely pain in a$$ to trash break. Be cautious as anything that makes a distressed cry will trip their trigger and shut their brain off.  Mine have been pretty hot nosed, fairly close ranged hunters until struck and then they don't have a shut off, use a tracking system. All in all, I've had a lot of fun with mine, but they are too small and rough for me as just hog dogs.
   mate this has got to be one of the most stright up answers iv seen on this forum congrats for keeping it real

new zealand dogger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: