March 28, 2024, 07:15:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Patterdale Terrier as a Hog Dog  (Read 5880 times)
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:49:06 am »

Well, we recently got into the Patterdales. I tell ya, they pack the heart of a bulldog in a lil' terrier body. We use 'em on nutria, fox, and coon. Well, long story short, just for fun we took my husband's male out last night, just for fun, and he got to see his first hog. That sucker bayed tighter than any hound I've ever seen, like he'd been doing it all his life. Mind you he was by himself, no other dogs. Once my husband got there and got to grabbing the hog by his back kegs, that lil sucker just went straight to catchin...right on the ear! He did NOT let go either, we acually had to use a stick to break him off. Granted he weighs like 12-15lbs, so he really looked more like a hairy earring hangin off that hog, LOL. Obviously we wouldn't use him on a hog by himself, or ol' boy would just get carried off, but I tell ya it was somethin' else seein all the heart and grit that lil dog has. We were very impressed. I'm wonderin how these guys would be in a small pack. I know of a lady in CA that uses 'em within a pack on Coyotes. Anyone else hunt with these guys? Friggin amazing animals, and a nice small feed bill too! We like these guys so much that I'm goin to go pick me up another one later today.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:24:15 am »

I've had them for a few years, some lines will not bay anything that they can get to. Some will bay good until it gets rough. Once they turn to the green eyed little monster they will not back up and bay again. Some lines are not worth the lead to blow them up, be knowledable about what your getting, and from who. They don't hunt for you, actually they probably could care less if you were even there, they are not stock dogs, they are predators. They have as much or more natural hunt in their blood then anything I've seen. Very smart dogs, require firm handle, and absolutely pain in a$$ to trash break. Be cautious as anything that makes a distressed cry will trip their trigger and shut their brain off.  Mine have been pretty hot nosed, fairly close ranged hunters until struck and then they don't have a shut off, use a tracking system. All in all, I've had a lot of fun with mine, but they are too small and rough for me as just hog dogs.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:33:29 pm »

I've had them for a few years, some lines will not bay anything that they can get to. Some will bay good until it gets rough. Once they turn to the green eyed little monster they will not back up and bay again. Some lines are not worth the lead to blow them up, be knowledable about what your getting, and from who. They don't hunt for you, actually they probably could care less if you were even there, they are not stock dogs, they are predators. They have as much or more natural hunt in their blood then anything I've seen. Very smart dogs, require firm handle, and absolutely pain in a$$ to trash break. Be cautious as anything that makes a distressed cry will trip their trigger and shut their brain off.  Mine have been pretty hot nosed, fairly close ranged hunters until struck and then they don't have a shut off, use a tracking system. All in all, I've had a lot of fun with mine, but they are too small and rough for me as just hog dogs.

GOOD info, thank you Smiley

Yeah we really were just wanting to see how he'd handle a hog, if he'd bay or not, or catch or not. You are soooo right on how the concept of trash breaking them would be practically a miracle, lol. When we take them out on vermin hunts, they certainly know what time it is, and OOOOO Lord yes, they wear tracking collars, haha. It is just so amazing to see so much dog in such a small package. Even when we go on walks, they are constantly winding, nose to the air. We are out in the boonies so there is wildlife EVERYWHERE out here. They never have a dull moment lol. Did you hunt any vermin with yours?

Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

Oh yes, that's the reason I had them to start with. They struck and caught a bout 70 lb. little boar and got me started hog hunting. I lost my male about a year ago and just kinda piddle around with the couple females I still have. I have bought a couple males since and was not satisfied, they were not even close to my Shorty dog.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:21:09 pm »

Oh yes, that's the reason I had them to start with. They struck and caught a bout 70 lb. little boar and got me started hog hunting. I lost my male about a year ago and just kinda piddle around with the couple females I still have. I have bought a couple males since and was not satisfied, they were not even close to my Shorty dog.

The buddy we get ours from has been huntin/breedin em for a looooong time. He's pretty reputable, and all his dogs are proven working stock. We got lucky being able to get good dogs the first time around.....

Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »

Can I ask what line he started with?
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 07:17:41 pm »

Pretty heavy on the Gould stuff....

TChunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:38:06 pm »

our main strike dog is a patterdale bmc cross. he is a gritty little thing. he weighs about 25 lbs..great dog
TChunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:07 pm »

our main strike dog is a patterdale bmc cross. he is a gritty little thing. he weighs about 25 lbs...medium range until takes a track and then gone! before we got our garmin we lost him multiple times....once from 6pm one day to noon the next....i never leave woods without my dogs so we were pretty tired after that lol
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »

i had some couldnt trasg break them so got rid of them
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:06 am »

mate this has got to be one of the most stright up answers iv seen on this forum congrats for keeping it real

new zealand dogger
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:58:58 am »

Pig rig, that's how cows chew cud around here. Some types of dogs are not for the masses, honesty might keep potentially good dogs out of hands of people that can't handle or don't understand them. Then put the breed down because they were mislead or their just ignorant.

Ms.La, I have heard good things about the Gould dogs, my experience with them has been 50-50, a little female I have now is real smart, hard hunter and gritty but not suicidal, I've had others that were flat zeros. The best I owned was my Nuttle male, they best I've raised where out him and a NuttleXBooth gyp i have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: