April 16, 2024, 04:43:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what should i give him  (Read 3162 times)
txdogos
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »

i have also tried a vet prescribed med. It is a human anti depressant but when a dog takes them it increases the appetite. cant remember the name but google it.

txdogos / texas dogos
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:56 am »

Assumsing you have the dog wormed out,  this recipe usually packs on weight..

Satin Balls
10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)
1 large box uncooked oatmeal (I generally use about 3/4 of the box)
12 raw eggs
1 15oz jar wheat germ
10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup salmon oil
1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
4 cups cooked brown rice

I roll these into about baseball size patties and freeze.

Just mix all ingredients together? No cooking anything but rice?

"Let's talk some philosophy"
bigthickethogdogs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »

if you r really worryed adout him, i would take him to the vet , they will let you know how to treat him, dont mean you have to buy the meds form them thou

cody hughes
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 08:21:43 pm »

if you r really worryed adout him, i would take him to the vet , they will let you know how to treat him, dont mean you have to buy the meds form them thou

He's been treated...he's fine now...eating canned food pretty well (surprised me to find out adult canned food sucks as far as protein and fat go) Its just gonna take a day or two for his digestive system to get back on track.

Jasper never has been a big stocky heavy dog....he's a big leggy and lanky dog, lol......I normally keep him around 65 pounds or so and thats just about right for hunting. Right now he's probably 55 pounds or so..... Im just lookin to put the weight back on as quickly and safely as possible.

BigCutters4
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 09:21:38 pm »

Worm x he has tapes it sounds like
x2

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »

Worm x he has tapes it sounds like
x2

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Lol...nope...no worms...sorry but I didn't get into the specifics on this thread...he had coccidiosis.

KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:09 pm »

I wasn't the original poster! Just kinda borrowed the thread for the satin balls info

kerreydw
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 03:11:26 pm »

Just because you are "WORMING" a dog doesnt mean the wormer kills the particular type of worm your dog has.  When in doubt go get a fecal sample done and see what worms the dog has....
go to the vet
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:38 am »

Satin Balls
12 raw eggs
1 15oz jar wheat germ
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup salmon oil
4 cups cooked brown rice

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:16 pm »

Satin Balls
12 raw eggs
1 15oz jar wheat germ
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup salmon oil
4 cups cooked brown rice

from me.....who else. tapatalk

I made these this weekend, for a bitch who whelped on Saturday. She hadn't been eating very well (or at all), and we all know she needs the nourishment, so I figured it was worth a try. Now she runs out of the whelping box, grabs the ball, and runs back in to her pups to scarf it down. She still has not touched her dry food since Thursday, I'd say she likes it...

Anyway, I just cooked the rice, then mixed it all together, balled it up between baseball and softball size, and stuck it on a baking tin to freeze. I also left the egg shells in it, and used cod liver oil instead of Salmon oil because that's what I could get and it was rated higher in every reported nutrient.

Making it was not cheap, but I can certainly see how it would work.

Good luck.

Steve
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »

Thanks Steve

redriverslim
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 08:15:20 am »

All over the place info, 

There are two kinds of tapeworms that can infect a dog.  The most common is the one they get from ingesting a flea.  So if your dogs have had fleas on them, they can get tapes pretty easy.  Even if the dog has no fleas on them at the moment, if they've ingested a flea in the past, it will take a while for the segments to show up in the stool.  The other kind of tapeworm is the one they get from eating a mouse, squirrel, rabbit, etc and it is called a taniae tapeworm.  It is the least common.  I forget the name of the most common tapeworm but is starts with a "D" something like dyplidium. 

Valbazen will only get the kind of tapeworm that dogs usually do not get, so using valbazen most likely will not kill the specific tape that your dog most likely has.  Pyrantel Pamoate WILL NOT kill tapes, nor will SAFEGUARD, nor will IVOMEC.  I know it says on the bottle that it might kill tapes, but NOT the kind that dogs get most of the time. 

Go to the vet and get some Droncit pills, or another pill sold under the brand name Cestex.  You give the pills at a rate of one pill per 15lbs body weight.  You will NOT see the dog pass a wad of tapeworms after you give the pill.  If you see a wad of worms, it is roundworms your seeing, and the droncit or cestex doesn't kill them anyway, so whatever wad of worms you see is from the Valbazen or Safeguard or Strongid you gave the dog.

The Droncit will simply cause the tapeworms to die off in the intestine and the dog will absorb them.  So you gibe the pills and the next day or two the segments are gone from the stool and your good to go.   
redriverslim
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:15 am »

Also, there is one other "little known" reason some dogs have trouble putting on weight.  If a dog has had a chronic infestation of worms for a long period of time, especially during the developmental stages, such as a prolonged hook worm infestation . . the intestines can become lined with scar tissue, and over time, it decreases absorption of nutrients in the intestines.  What happen is the dog will get absorption in the stomach only, and the food is passing through the dog and not being 100% utilized.  If you've ever had a dog that you just had to feed like 3 times as much as all the other dogs, and you've taken this dog to the vet and had him wormed real good and checked out, but he still won't gain weight unless you pour the feed to him . . then this could be a possibile reason.
jwdeltx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »

I know i sound like a broken record . Worm the dog good and feed him two eggs  Am & two eggs PM along with your regular food . He will put on weight fast !
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: