April 16, 2024, 06:29:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: for my religious friends...  (Read 8842 times)
marks
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 09:30:42 am »

I think the biggest disagreement I have with most of this thread is with commitment issues. Just like a guy with commitment issues with marraige. He wants all the benefits of marraige (sex and companionship) without the legalities and inconveniences and long term commitment of marraige but until you commit say I do you aren't actually married. People want the benefits of Heaven and God but they don't want to be tied down to the rules of religion(I mean the Bible, not the traditional rules many churches have added along the way). They want God on their terms. Pray when they need a pick-me-up but the rest of the time do want I want when I want. When I wanted a college degree I had to go to class and do all my work. Yeah I skipped and slacked from time to time but overall I had to try hard to finish the course. I couldn't show up when it was convenint to me. Same with God.

As for the question on what about the rest of the world?Huh? Thats a tough one and I don't really know the answer. I do know at one point the Gospel was spread to the entire 'known world' which was much smaller back then. Since then it has been lost in many places so I don't know but lucky for me I don't have to have all the answers. I'll let God take care of it.

As far as athiesm......I think a higher power makes much more sense than a bunch of nothing blew up and created the universe and galaxys in perfect orbit and then a bunch of random protiens came together and BAM!! Life!!! Then that single living cell without any genetic reason started splitting and reproducing. My question for that has always been...Life here survives off of organic matter (dead things). How did the first cells survive on when there wasn't organic matter but that is for another thread. haha
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:02 am »

I think the biggest disagreement I have with most of this thread is with commitment issues. Just like a guy with commitment issues with marraige. He wants all the benefits of marraige (sex and companionship) without the legalities and inconveniences and long term commitment of marraige but until you commit say I do you aren't actually married. People want the benefits of Heaven and God but they don't want to be tied down to the rules of religion(I mean the Bible, not the traditional rules many churches have added along the way). They want God on their terms. Pray when they need a pick-me-up but the rest of the time do want I want when I want. When I wanted a college degree I had to go to class and do all my work. Yeah I skipped and slacked from time to time but overall I had to try hard to finish the course. I couldn't show up when it was convenint to me. Same with God.
/quote]

So true... I wear God's Armor and can't imagine where I'd be without it to help me through the hard times.. Most people abuse God's grace... Like it's okay to sin because I will be forgiven. To me going to church does get you to the gates of Heaven, having a personal relationship with God does... Church is just fellowship to celebrate and worship him together... So many people run from God all there life until their on there death bed... Love this thread.. GOD BLESS ALL.!
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 09:51:58 am »

Ooops just meant to highlight top paragraph!

RL
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 10:12:28 am »

Ooops just meant to highlight top paragraph!

We used to have an "edit" option.  That really helped on spelling errors and oooops posts.  Probably eliminated due to abuse though.
marks
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 11:20:46 am »

I did the same thing for my post before last.
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 11:37:18 am »

Not bashing on you or anyone, just building on your statements and adding my own...

I on the other hand view it differently. I am a believer and webster tells us that is all it takes to be a christian. I say no! I do not go to church even though there was a time that I was on fire for him and his word, got saved in my front yard on march 12 1996 during a "yardball" game by my neighbor who was a paster, baptised along with my mom and 2 brothers on Sept. 17 2002 at Riverside Baptist church ... Man that was one good revival. One night his sermon lead my mom and dad to throw out every bit of alcohol in the house and unplug every form of entertainment for days and days. I choose not to go to church because of conflicts with in me. I still pray, not for personal gain and personal problems but for family and those that need prayer. If I dont have the relationship I want with him what gives me the right to go to him with my struggles other than my struggles trying to resemble him. I also thank him daily for my blessings. To myself I am a believer and that is it. To me a christian is someone who is closer to him that just believing. He walks the walk, talks the talk, spreads the word but not in a boastful matter. I do not go to church because I have things that I feel are wrong with me that I need to fix before I go. I choose not to go to be just another hypocrite. To me I cant walk the walk good enough to put it on display at church. I dont want to be a luke warm christian, and be greeted at the gate with him telling me "you barely made it but welcome" I dont live that way. I am either 100% or I dont do it. So until I get my life in order and my personal conflicts, I have chosen not to be a hypocrite and chase something that I know I cannot be live up to right now. I know that is not the way to live because we are all sinners and being in church doesnt change that but I have been dealing with this for a couple years. I just dont want to fall into the hypocritical christian group. When I am ready, he will be there with open arms and it is then that I will submit again and be on fire for him.

Another personal conflict I have is that all 3 of my children were dedicated by 1yr old... Meaning that I vowed to raise them up in a Christian home and teach them "the way". My wife and I read the bible to them every night before bed. It is what I vowed to do infront of the church and my savior. The conflict is what gives me the right to share the teachings with them if I do not show them through actions. Yes I am a good guy, ask anyone that knows me, but I believe in my heart that I am failing my children and my savior for not living up to my promise. I do all that I feel I can do in this stage of my life with my kids, but I fell like I am doing it with an empty heart. The more I read to them the more I grow and the more I grow the more the bad habbits slip away. Church doesnt save you, and being a believer doesnt make you a christian in my book. To me it is sticking to what you asked him when you invited him to live inside of you and when you promised to live through him. It is walking the walk when noone, and everyone is watching. It is knowing your wrong doings and turning from them. Thanking him for the good before talking about the bad... Until you have done that and continue to do that you are no more than a believer to me. It is a daily struggle and a daily walk, he is there when you need him but if you only go when you need him you are no different than the hypocrites you despise.

Sorry if I rambled or contradicted my self in any way... Just alot of mixed emotions coming out. It is hard for me to admit failure and I have failed my wife and kids by failing in my faith.

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
marks
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »

Just my opinion but if you are working to become what you want to be then there is no reason you shouldn't be allowed or ashamed to be in church. Being a hypocrit is claiming to be what you are not or better than you are. You seem to admit exactly what/where you are but are ashamed that you are not where you want to be. That is different. We all start somewhere. Some start from a tougher situation than others. You might consider studying with someone in person to try and untangle your thoughts.
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »

Just my opinion but if you are working to become what you want to be then there is no reason you shouldn't be allowed or ashamed to be in church. Being a hypocrit is claiming to be what you are not or better than you are. You seem to admit exactly what/where you are but are ashamed that you are not where you want to be. That is different. We all start somewhere. Some start from a tougher situation than others. You might consider studying with someone in person to try and untangle your thoughts.

Makes alot of sense thanks.

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
lacurdog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »

About | Community | Store | Sign In or Create Account

God
You

TV
Radio
Magazine

Subscribe Now

Together in the Christian Life

Print Page   

Watch Together in the Christian Life video.

Charles F. Stanley

Memory Verse: Hebrews 10:19-25

I. Introduction: Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “Let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another” (emphasis added). It’s true that some people can’t attend church due to physical limitations and others have no Bible-believing congregations in their area. But aside from those exceptions, everyone who wants to maintain a vital, growing relationship with Jesus Christ needs to be involved in a local body of believers.

II. Who originated the concept of church?

A. Scripture clearly teaches that the church was established by our Savior Himself (Matt. 16:16). He’s the Savior of the world, humanity’s only hope. This truth is the foundation upon which Jesus established the church, and no evil force can prevail against it.

B. Throughout history, all kinds of movements have come and gone. In contrast, the church—also called the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:27)—has thrived for centuries and in our generation is growing quickly all over the world.

C. Why has the church survived despite changing times? Because it belongs to God, not to men and women. Jesus is the originator and sustainer of the church. Today He ministers to both believers and unbelievers through His body.

III. When Christians claim they don’t need church, what does that imply?

A. If we can walk closely with God without the fellowship of other believers, then assembling on Sunday morning is a waste of time. Those who believe this would say we don’t need other Christians for support, encouragement, or prayer.

B. If believers can maintain an intimate relationship with God apart from church involvement, then Jesus made a big mistake. After all, the church was His idea.

C. Of course, our Lord didn’t make a mistake when He established His church. You and I need other believers, whom God commands us to love as ourselves—a mandate second only to loving Him whole-heartedly (Matt. 22:37-39). It is in the context of community that we exercise our spiritual gifts, find encouragement to follow God’s will, and learn how to properly interpret Scripture.

IV. Why should believers assemble together as a church?

A. To worship: Worshipping Him lifts our spirits and strengthens our souls. Many of the songs are full of theological truths that educate us about the blessings we have in Him.

B. To learn the Word of God: In church, we often have the opportunity to learn from those with special biblical training or deep spiritual maturity. Be ready to check any teaching against the whole counsel of Scripture, since pulling verses out of context can lead to doctrinal errors.

C. To fulfill the Great Commission: As the body of Christ, we can send missionaries to far-off places. We support them through our prayers, letters or e-mails, and financial support. Together we fulfill the command to share the good news with the nations (Matt. 28:18-20).

D. To protect themselves: When someone stops attending church, it is almost inevitable that he or she will begin to drift away from God. Hearing scriptural truth each week helps in holding believers accountable to high moral, ethical, and spiritual standards.

E. To exercise spiritual gifts: These supernatural blessings, such as administration, organization, and mercy, are to be used “for the common good in the body of Christ” (1 Cor. 12:7).

F. To develop an atmosphere of support: The New Testament is full of advice on how to relate in love to one another.

G. To strengthen and broaden the Christian impact on the world: When believers are committed to a local fellowship, the influence of that church is greatly multiplied. God works powerfully through churches where each person sees himself or herself as making a valuable contribution to the ministry’s work.

V. Conclusion: Commitment to a local body of believers is the way to participate in fulfilling God’s purposes. There, you can receive solid instruction in the Word of God, participate in corporate worship, and find opportunities to exercise your spiritual gifts. Find a Bible-believing church in your area, and make an effort to get involved. Your life will never be the same.

Copyright 2012 In Touch Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. www.intouch.org. In Touch grants permission to print for personal use only.

Print Page

Article Archive
Bible Studies
All Things Are New
Sermon Outlines
Life Principles Notes
God's Promises
Monthly E-Newsletter
30 Life Principles

About About In Touch
About Dr. Charles Stanley
From the Pastor's Heart
Dr. Stanley's Speaking Engagements
What We Believe
In Touch Foundation
In Touch Ambassadors
In Touch International
In Touch Messenger
Work at In Touch
Press
Permissions
FAQ
Terms of Use

Broadcast This Week on TV
Today on Radio
Sunday Night Church
Find a Station
Ask Dr. Stanley
Podcasts
In Touch Apps
 Today's Moment
Radio Affiliates

Store Account Login
Customer Service
Privacy Policy

Magazine Current Issue
Subscribe Now
Daily Devotional
Letter to the Editor

Community Impact Prayer Team
Request Prayer
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube

Resources 30 Life Principles
All Things Are New
Articles
Life Principles Notes
Bible Studies
Sermon Outlines
God's Promises
Monthly E-Newsletter
Chaplains

Partner Donate
Ways to Partner
Annual Report
In Touch Foundation
Board of Directors

Select a Language

Contact Us
© 2012 In Touch Ministries.
 All rights reserved.
 P.O. Box 7900, Atlanta, GA 30357

1-800-789-1473 toll-free
contactcenter@intouch.org

About | Community | Store | Sign In or Create Account

God
You

TV
Radio
Magazine

Subscribe Now

Together in the Christian Life

Print Page   

Watch Together in the Christian Life video.

Charles F. Stanley

Memory Verse: Hebrews 10:19-25

I. Introduction: Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “Let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another” (emphasis added). It’s true that some people can’t attend church due to physical limitations and others have no Bible-believing congregations in their area. But aside from those exceptions, everyone who wants to maintain a vital, growing relationship with Jesus Christ needs to be involved in a local body of believers.

II. Who originated the concept of church?

A. Scripture clearly teaches that the church was established by our Savior Himself (Matt. 16:16). He’s the Savior of the world, humanity’s only hope. This truth is the foundation upon which Jesus established the church, and no evil force can prevail against it.

B. Throughout history, all kinds of movements have come and gone. In contrast, the church—also called the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:27)—has thrived for centuries and in our generation is growing quickly all over the world.

C. Why has the church survived despite changing times? Because it belongs to God, not to men and women. Jesus is the originator and sustainer of the church. Today He ministers to both believers and unbelievers through His body.

III. When Christians claim they don’t need church, what does that imply?

A. If we can walk closely with God without the fellowship of other believers, then assembling on Sunday morning is a waste of time. Those who believe this would say we don’t need other Christians for support, encouragement, or prayer.

B. If believers can maintain an intimate relationship with God apart from church involvement, then Jesus made a big mistake. After all, the church was His idea.

C. Of course, our Lord didn’t make a mistake when He established His church. You and I need other believers, whom God commands us to love as ourselves—a mandate second only to loving Him whole-heartedly (Matt. 22:37-39). It is in the context of community that we exercise our spiritual gifts, find encouragement to follow God’s will, and learn how to properly interpret Scripture.

IV. Why should believers assemble together as a church?

A. To worship: Worshipping Him lifts our spirits and strengthens our souls. Many of the songs are full of theological truths that educate us about the blessings we have in Him.

B. To learn the Word of God: In church, we often have the opportunity to learn from those with special biblical training or deep spiritual maturity. Be ready to check any teaching against the whole counsel of Scripture, since pulling verses out of context can lead to doctrinal errors.

C. To fulfill the Great Commission: As the body of Christ, we can send missionaries to far-off places. We support them through our prayers, letters or e-mails, and financial support. Together we fulfill the command to share the good news with the nations (Matt. 28:18-20).

D. To protect themselves: When someone stops attending church, it is almost inevitable that he or she will begin to drift away from God. Hearing scriptural truth each week helps in holding believers accountable to high moral, ethical, and spiritual standards.

E. To exercise spiritual gifts: These supernatural blessings, such as administration, organization, and mercy, are to be used “for the common good in the body of Christ” (1 Cor. 12:7).

F. To develop an atmosphere of support: The New Testament is full of advice on how to relate in love to one another.

G. To strengthen and broaden the Christian impact on the world: When believers are committed to a local fellowship, the influence of that church is greatly multiplied. God works powerfully through churches where each person sees himself or herself as making a valuable contribution to the ministry’s work.

V. Conclusion: Commitment to a local body of believers is the way to participate in fulfilling God’s purposes. There, you can receive solid instruction in the Word of God, participate in corporate worship, and find opportunities to exercise your spiritual gifts. Find a Bible-believing church in your area, and make an effort to get involved. Your life will never be the same.

Copyright 2012 In Touch Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. www.intouch.org. In Touch grants permission to print for personal use only.

Print Page

Article Archive
Bible Studies
All Things Are New
Sermon Outlines
Life Principles Notes
God's Promises
Monthly E-Newsletter
30 Life Principles

About About In Touch
About Dr. Charles Stanley
From the Pastor's Heart