March 29, 2024, 07:18:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veterinary brain storm….  (Read 1567 times)
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2009, 01:45:41 pm »

Veterinary brain storm….

The main symptom is that the dog simply is not acting himself. He has been slowly loosing pace for the last three weeks. In the last 3 days, he has achieved what I consider full lethargy. This morning, he didn’t even get out of his house when I went to clean kennels. The only other potential symptom is that he has thrown up ~ 5 times in the last week, mostly just bile, no food.

This morning I took him to the vet (who later called and asked why I had dropped him off. Apparently unless you know the dog and his drive, you couldn’t tell that there was anything wrong with him) and this is what we know so far.

He is otherwise apparently healthy. No heartworms or intestinal parasites, no coccidian, parvo etc. Viral blood panel negative, no tick born disease, no intestinal obstruction.

We are sending out a panel for fungal testing even though chest films and breath sounds are clear (fungal was and still is one of my top concerns. I know of 4 dogs who have died from lung fungus this year and one who recovered. Their symptoms were all similar).

Normal swine diseases have been considered but don't fit. Pseudorabies would have killed him already and Brucillocis would be obvious (or will become obvious in the near future).

What are we not thinking of?

I'm sure that there is pertinent information which I have not included so feel free to ask questions.....

Thanks,

Steve
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:17:19 pm »

I don't have much to add here Steve other then I hope your dog is ok.  I can tell you for no reason every year when it warms up my dogs will eat grass and throw it up.  I bet in the last few weeks every dog I own has done it a few times.  And like people when it first really starts warming up outside we all have to re-adjust to it.  I am not saying that is what is wrong with your dog but I know we have seen it lately with dogs that really in shape, they are running out of gas earlier.  I do hope yall get it figured out.
Matt

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
nuckspups
Bay Dog

sarahshogdogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:02:12 pm »

How Old Is He? We Had A Bulldog Do The Same Thing Took Him To The Vet He Had Gastrial Intestine Disease. However The Vet Could Not Tell Me Really What Caused It Or How To Keep Them From Getting It Again. Because It Is So Uncommon. If Its Not What It Is Sorry Just Trying To Give Help.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:27:56 pm by jandshogdogs » Logged
Critter Catcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:14:55 pm »

Hey Steve,
Don't know if your dog is better or not or if he made it through. Has the dog been having bowel movements? A blockage in the intestant can cause vomitting and the absorbtion of contaminents through the bowel walls can cause similar behavior. Just an idea.

Kevin Daniels TDHA member
Critter Catcher
Feral Hog Removal & Guide Service
www.crittercatcher.net
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »

If all is clear from the vet and there is no intestinal problems etc. go back to the basics. Nutrition is normally the answer to symptoms like that in all my patiants so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for dogs, especially with summer hear they get mineral defeciant quickly, that stops b vitamin absorption and that leads to lethargy and depression basically. Problem is vitamins are synthetic and dont work- get on amazon.com or drop me a pm and order some standard process whole food nutrition, I recommend cyrofood, min-tran, and cataplex F. should cost about 50$ and last 4-6 mo. for one dog. They have nutrition specifically for dogs through vets but it will cost you twice as much as the human kind, just put the pills in there food and they eat them cause theyre made from liver etc. just my .02 good luck
Dexter
Hog Master

Confetti Catahoulas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:24:45 am »

did yall xray the dog to see if he ate a stick,peach sead,ect....i have one dog get a stick cross ways i the back of her mouth

Confetti Catahoulas
Skip A Rope Catahoulas
skip_a_rope_catahoulas@yahoo.com  confetti_catahoulas@yahoo.com
catahoula
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:24 pm »

had and older female awhile back that was bleeding from both ends and no engery  couldnt figure out for awile then found out it was stomach cancer hope that is not the case  for you
DIAMOND A KENNELS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:30 pm »

HAS THE VET CHECKED HIM 4 TOXINS I HAD A DOG DOING THE SAME THING UR DOG IS DOING COME 2 FIND OUT HE HAD  EATIN A POISINESS TREE FROG  Shocked AND HE VOMITED FOR 6 DAYS UNTILL THE VET FIGURED IT OUT

ASHLEY CAMPBELL T.D.H.A MEMBER
Monteria
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:08:53 am »

I guess that I never concluded this thread, did I?

Thanks for the posts and Ideas but the dog just woke up one day..... Actually, I put him on a medication cocktail and he gradually improved over a three day period until he was just fine. We still have no idea what was wrong but he is fine now.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: