April 28, 2024, 09:56:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combi Pen  (Read 2818 times)
longshot
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:12:55 pm »

2 types of Penicillin  1st is always given intramusclar and only contains Pen Benzataine or Pen B(I get them confused)  Which is a higher powered anitbiotic

THe 2nd is Combi Pen which conatains Pen B and Pen Procaine (PenP) the Pen P is not as powerful but is supposed to add a long lasting affect

The label says that Combi Pen is a 24hr antiboiotic.   My vets says that is CR@P and no penicillin will ever last in the body for more than 12hrs no matter how long lasting it is.  After 12hours your dog is left unprotected to fight infection on its own.

He also said on a 60lb dog anything over 2cc is a waste of medicine and will be passed into the Urine stream.

On small cuts and skin cuts I give 2cc 1once daily for 3 days like the directions on the bottle say(for frequency of use)

On large or serious cuts I follow my vets directions and give 2cc every 12hours(morning and night) for 3days to a week depending on the severity and when the danger for infection is ceased.

Longshot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: