April 20, 2024, 01:21:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mastiff for catch dog?  (Read 1048 times)
johnf
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »

anyone ever try them.saw one on craigs list.just never been around any. Undecided
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:59:11 pm »

Ha! Go for it!!  Anything under 100 is liable to be eaten whole when u get there LOL
riverbottomhoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:16 pm »

i think thay whould be to big to get through the woods good

JESUS, WAYLON, HANK. WILLIE, JOHNNY, MERLE
Lbrown
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »

Ive wanted to know the same thing every body i asked they said the first thing thought came to mind was lazy

Thrill of the squill
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »

There must be a reason they want it gone. Slow, lazy and prone to heat stoke I would think. We have one as a pet and that is what would come to my mind.

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
dogboy42
Bay Dog

AB with out the bs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:07:31 pm »

I have seen a bullmastiff catch dog that will out catch any pitbull and beat the pit to the bay.  I have seen many mastiff catch dogs.  What do you think dogos, great Danes, and cane corsos are?  All mastiffs. 

Who Wants To Be 2nd Best!!!

DogBoy....you are never too old to learn
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:01 pm »

Bred to hunt and exercised often might be a different story Huh? Maybe ours is too used to ac and a couch lol

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
Sue wee
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

Have a English mastiff pit cross that so far has made a good catch dog. She's quick to the bay will run one down id she needs too. I really like her temperament calm untill it's time to work. Considering breeding her but wonde if I should go back to pit or ab or dogo any suggestions?
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »

Mastiff? What Kind?

Dogo is the Roman word for mastiff. Mastiff means big dog. So your question is has anyone tried a big dog as a catch dog?

If that is not what you mean then you need to say a breed. That is it is the Dogo Argentino or Argentine Mastiff.

So the answer to your question is yes. Many people use them.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:41:26 am »

My buddy had a bull mastiff that he loved I always gave him heck he could ride the horse to the bay.  He did hold pretty clean though. He died to a stomach virus or something like that but was calm well mannered etc till he heard a bay and u better have some lead in ur ass because he was goinmg to try and pull u to it.
7Mhunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

Alot of people use bull mastiffs as a cd i have a half bullmastiff half boxer not even a year old at 70,lbs we caught a hlg last night and he is tryin to get to the hog and never seen one in his life

-Cowgirl up or go sit in the truck-
johnf
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »

not that femiliar with the breed.it was on craigslist and title was mastiff.the dog was large brindle dog.looked kinda LIKE A DOGO but brindle.i text but he didnt seem to wana give dogs age.it would have to be young before i would concider trying it.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:15 pm »

I have seen a bullmastiff catch dog that will out catch any pitbull and beat the pit to the bay.  I have seen many mastiff catch dogs.  What do you think dogos, great Danes, and cane corsos are?  All mastiffs. 

Who Wants To Be 2nd Best!!!

No doubt I bet your right about one particular dog your referencing, BUT, the fact that you gotta compare between them and pit bulls shows that pitbus are the standard of function in the catchdog world.

Get whatever catchdog you want, just keep em in the woods, be good to em and DO RIGHT BY THEM.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
SnF bucking bulls
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 01:44:33 am »

iv had a mastiff pit cross. he was huge!! they have there goods and there bads. obviously the size of them. being pulled by a 115 pound dog isnt the best and if you have a hog less than 130 or so its a chew toy!
 mine was hog crazy. never on a hog that he couldnt hold.  i just hate how slow they are!
good if there riding on the 4 wheeler and then walked into the bay.
my opinion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: