March 28, 2024, 07:00:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking cd off with e-collar  (Read 1065 times)
leonriverboy
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:29 pm »

I have a young pit that is a great cd.  I have always had to use a break stick to break her off, but here latly I have been getting her to turn loose through verbal command.  This just takes her a while to make the decision to turn loose.  I have been thinking of speeding up the process with an e-collar.  I just don't want her tuning loose too soon.  What do y'all think?
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:14:26 pm »

I say no. Try to use a verbal and an action. IE- say release and tap on head. I,myself, try to limit the use of the e collar. Easy way to burn a dog for the wrong thing.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »

Not a smart thing to do .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Sneaky Creek Kennel
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:44:15 am »

Do it if you want but keep us posted on how it goes.
I myself wouldn't think it's a very good idea. If the dog is smart all your gonna end up with is a pit bull bay dog at the very best

Just cause it's simple don't mean it's easy!
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:13:01 am »

this is just my own view but an e collar shoud be used to get a dog to listen to your voice commands  not to do what its not supposed to do as you are the leader of the pack a dog needs to be tuned into your commands

new zealand dogger
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »

this is just my own view but an e collar shoud be used to get a dog to listen to your voice commands  not to do what its not supposed to do as you are the leader of the pack a dog needs to be tuned into your commands

Pigrig for president............

We work our dogs very differently here.  Our dogs are mostly what you term RCD's.

As long as you use a verbal command we say "get off" or "out of it" (words are less important than the tone) and then zap the dog it will be fine.  Keep zapping it until it stays away from the pig.  This will make the dog more controllable around pigs and overall a better dog.  I teach dogs to leave the pig (and then listen to me, so back this up with a command like - sit or load up etc ) from the very first time they see a pig.  Stuff like barking or mauling a dead pig is dealt with fairly harshly.

It doesn't make then softer or "less game" it just turns there ears on.

T

SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »

done it before. works well just dont go up to the caught hog screamin like you won the ball game.

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
FL hogdogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »

I did it once and rhetorically dog just bated his eyes  and stayed caught... So I'm sayin  no didn't work lol but what did work was once the dog was off I told him caught hog and when he tried for it I light his ass up this worked well. Command then correct 2 or 3 hogs they get the point.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: