April 19, 2024, 10:15:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: florida currs? show and tell  (Read 4841 times)
boarsnesthogdogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:08:08 pm »

ive been seeing alot of currs advertised as florida currs? if there is and what is a florida curr, i got a dog ive been told looks like a florida cur shes an outstanding dog but just looks like a reverse saddleback kinda to me is it just that they came from florida or a whole different breed of cur in general i would really like to know i just always thought ol lilly was just a good lookn cur
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

get with rdjustham he has some standup florida curs

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »

Have you ever hunted with them? Huh?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John Esker
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:22:50 pm »

But, the dog in the picture looks like no Florida cur that i have ever seen.

John Esker
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

here we go again. no i havnt. he has stories and pictures to show it.

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »

No offence intended but this a subject I feel strongly about.

I am away from home right now, so no good pictures of a Florida Cur.  This is a good chance to explain what I think a Florida cur is.  It is a type of working dog, not a pure breed, and can come in several sizes, colors and patterns.  Ring necks saddle backs, black and tan, black, white, tan, white with spots etc.  The ones I grew up with, were mostly red, tan, and and white.  They are all purpose dogs bred for working in the heat and humidity of Central and South Florida.    

Too many people look at a dog and say "it looks like a Florida cur, must be a Florida cur".  The name "Florida Cur" has been hijacked by dog jockeys and new hunters who think they are breeders trying to make money on dogs.

Did it come from actual South Florida working dogs?  Just because a dog comes from Florida doesn't make it a Florida Cur.  So there is really no way to prove or disprove what a Florida Cur is except in the woods.

If you don't know it's from South Florida don't call it a Florida cur.  Some of you Texas guys have seen the same problem with "yella dogs".  Some are good some are just yellow.  Kind of like the song, "don't call him cowboy until you've seen him ride"

That's what I think about it!

Dan

"We are all on our way out...ACT ACCORDINGLY"
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:52:55 pm »

Going to strongly agree with Dan.  I'm originally from SW FL and been around a lot of cur dogs while growing up.  For the last 10-14 years been living in LA and TN...been around a lot of cur dogs here too.  When I was growing up in FL, every dog we had was mostly cur with a little pit mixed in somewhere, this explained the square head and roughness.  We didnt need catchdogs, two or three cur dogs would catch most anything.  I really dont think there is a difference between a cur dog no matter where is it from.  My theory is , a hound is a hound, a cur is a cur, a bulldog is a bulldog and a cross is a cross.  There are to many variables to distinguish a FL cur from any other cur.  Some think that Catahoulas are a Native American dog' I disagree.  I believe the cats are of a spainsh ancestory and I believe they were brough the America by the Spainish via St Augustine.  I would contribute the leopard dogs of FL to the spanish dogs and most had a little bulldog bred in starting in the mid 50s.

dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:22:05 pm »

My pops friend jimmy fox breeds fl curs. Most of his dogs are red. What we consider fl cur is redbone mixed with pit. Now I'm not saying every dog he has is red. He bred his dog levi a redbone pit to a full brown rednose pit and all the pups came out black with a tint of brown redish color in em. There is some pics of them on here. But I will find more.
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »

Are these dogs related to real working south Florida ranch dogs in any way?  If not it's just a cur.  There is a big difference as far as I'm concerned. 

Dan

dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »

These dogs were & still are real south Florida ranch dogs. They are multi purpose dogs. They've been used as cattle dogs, deer dogs, and hog dogs. Most are used as hog dogs. These dogs have been around for years. Jimmy has been breeding them for 20 plus years & before that his pops was breeding them. Well known dogs in okeechobee and Loxahatchee fl
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

Shows the different colors the pups are

boarsnesthogdogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:14:46 pm »

no i have never hunted with anything i knew for sure came from south florida but i kinda know what to look for now i appreciate you dan and schmidt, just as i thought ol lilly dog is just a  good ol bmc im glad to find all this info out because i thought like a cur is a cur a bulldog is a bulldog and so on so forth i would still like to see a pic of a "florida cur" im gona call lilly a hog dog curr lol thanks for all the good info hope to see one and hear some more info, one thing relevant is that my lilly dogs sire is from florida i dont know wich part thats all i know except that she is a hog hunting machine not too fast in her old age but theres always pork at the end
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »

Thank you Dodge girl.  Okeechobee and airboats that's what I like to see.  I agree with the Redbone X Pit mixing into the already established dogs.  Mine are similar.  Check your PM.
boarsnesthogdogs, thank you for not being offended by my opinion. 

Dan

Slim
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »

i sure like that gyp no matter what color or breed.  She is a teriffic looking dog

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement!
boarsnesthogdogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:52 pm »

thanks everybody yeah lilly is a good gal ive never labeled her as a florida curr just because i didnt know i just thought thats a hell of a hog dog right there, and i dont get offended you dont know if you never ask, new "hunting buddy" saw her and said whered u get that florida cur and i said that ol hog dog over there well it wouldnt from florida lol thanks everybody
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07:12 pm »

The top the three dogs are brothers and a sister, they are all different in looks / size and the red ring neck dog is a son of the red gyp sitting on the box and they grey dog.

Growing up I was taught that the base of a true Florida bred dog was Blood Hound x Bull Dog and then different families added to the mix to suit their needs....my mom spoke of Ridgeback being bred in at one time for more grit.

Our dogs all have heritage in the state and are not nearly as fine boned (most of the time) as a lot of the registered yellow dogs seem to have...

dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:31 pm »

I love the build and colors of the dog in that 4th pic
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 03:42:45 am »

Top two are of my jack dog,  hes from the flint line up near plant city, cow bred.  The third is of my old gyp thats been gone for 3 years now from poison.  And last but mot least was down from lightsey breedin and an old yellow cow dog.  He was a little ornery and disnt make the grade.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:57 am »

Why it gotta be like that? Angry
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 03:46:53 am »

Litter of pups off my jack dog and my gf's 3/4 cur 1/4 pit.  Pic taken at 4 weeks i think.  The will be 8 weeks on sunday.  Ill try and get sime better ones tomorow,  they are all pretty much yella now
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: