March 29, 2024, 10:19:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: florida currs? show and tell  (Read 4603 times)
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »

Noah, i would have to disagree with you on that. I know a lot of dayworkers who have some sure enough good dogs. Here at lykes it is just one person that is making the decision in the way dogs are used and who gets to carry dogs. The foreman on my crew actually does have some decent dogs, but they don't get to be used to their full potential when his boss isn't around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John Esker
hogaholicswife
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 06:45:17 pm »

Noah, i would have to disagree with you on that. I know a lot of dayworkers who have some sure enough good dogs. Here at lykes it is just one person that is making the decision in the way dogs are used and who gets to carry dogs. The foreman on my crew actually does have some decent dogs, but they don't get to be used to their full potential when his boss isn't around.

Lykes is a funky bunch to work for any way, do they still make you ride their horses?  Used to they wouldn't even let you bring your own horse...just saddle / bridle, etc.

I know a few guys that still have some of the old rough curr dogs but they are South of the Lake in Devils Gardens...that is about the only place any more you seem to find those that love roping dick cattle more than anything else lol and their dogs will go and find them, they are nearly impossible to get a dog off of as well - you just have to catch them on a 'good day' and know them well for them even to consider it. 

A few of them are even like that about their horses too.
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »

Haha... I like that  Grin  that friend of mine WILL NOT  introduce me to his uncle... too scared we may hit it off lol

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »

I know a lot of dayworkers who have some sure enough good dogs

There are some jam up cowdogs down there.

But it is getting harder to find a good cow dog than a hog dog these days!!!
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »

Why do you think that is

Welcome to the Gun Show

sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 09:25:05 pm »

Ashley, we can ride our own horses, but were not allowed to ride colts

John Esker
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »

Ive got a buddy who works iver in labelle he grew up day workin and his dad has been at it his whole life.  Hes got some sure enough go yonder cow dogs.  He will breed one of his gyps wvery now and again.  I think the last time is over 3 years now.  He places pups with friends only and he culls HARD.  Lotta the older guys my buddy works with/for have the same kinda dogs.  After years i think im finally on the list for the next time he breeds one of his gyps.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »

Oh shpulda mentioned,  he still does it the old way.  Wont tell ya whts in em, where they came from and has has a female with the same name outta the dogs hestarted with since my buddy whp is 31 was riding a stick horse
dan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 10:09:56 pm »

The curs we have go back to dogs from the Okeechobee area for the last 45 years.  My contacts and friends were much older than me, and have all died or lost touch.  
I live in North Florida.  The reason for getting dogs from down there is the people and the environment.  Even though people disagree on exact traits the type of dog has stayed true for more than 100 years.  The area produces a lot of tough, heat tolerant dogs, with the desire to work.  
Every dog I got was a cull for trailing hogs too far or being too rough on cows.

Dan

"We are all on our way out...ACT ACCORDINGLY"
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:52 pm »

The curs we have go back to dogs from the Okeechobee area for the last 45 years.  My contacts and friends were much older than me, and have all died or lost touch.  
I live in North Florida.  The reason for getting dogs from down there is the people and the environment.  Even though people disagree on exact traits the type of dog has stayed true for more than 100 years.  The area produces a lot of tough, heat tolerant dogs, with the desire to work.  
Every dog I got was a cull for trailing hogs too far or being too rough on cows.

Do you know jon hair ? He's got some sang good dogs in okeechobee
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 07:59:02 pm »

What do you know, a post that actually strikes my fancy!  Grin

Now I will put my disclaimer first.....I DON'T have the best dogs and I DON'T know all there is to know about Fla cur dogs. But, I have been raising them for close to 30 years, ran a 500 cow/calf commercial cattle operation for years and have had the same line of Fla curs for 6 generations of dogs to work cattle and hog hunt...I didn't just start this circus.......So I have seen, owned and watched a lot of Fla curs work over the years. I am "down" to 9 of them here at the house and hopefully have a litter on the way.

My dogs don't come from south Fla but are central Fla cur dogs . My original dog came off the K-Bar Ranch and was a yellow bob tail female with a partial ringneck. I bred her to a buddies red black mouth Fla cur who was ROUGH. She had nine pups and I kept two females. This started the dogs I still have.  Odd thing was, a couple of the pups had ridgebacks even though neither parent had them. After that litter I have never gotten another ridge. I was told the female had bird dog in her too, but she didn't show that trait either, other than having an excellent nose. I sold the rest of the pups and everyone that I know of made better than average dogs. In fact a cattleman that bought two of those pups, tracked me down 17 YEARS later and wanted more like them....so he must have liked them!

Over the years I have been able to breed to several good outside males, in addition to my males. Having a jam up female lets you pretty much pick any male you want to breed to, once people have seen her work.  I have bred to some of the Bexley Ranch dogs, some of the Bailey Ranch dogs, and my Monkey dog came from the Heart Bar ranch in St. Cloud.  All of these dogs were COW dogs, not hog dogs. In fact, even though Monkey came from COW dogs, I only use him on hogs and he was the FIRST hog dog I ever bred to.  I bred to another hog dog a couple years ago that I hunted with and liked, but his breeding was unknown and the pups didn't work out for me.

I am different than a lot of hog hunters as I hunt one dog on the ground a LOT of the time. I want to know what the dog is capable of..by itself. Plus, if I put 2-3 of these on the ground 99% of the time they are going to catch...or get wrecked trying.

Here are a couple pics of my Fla curs. All were bred & raised by me, except for Monkey.

Monkey

Monkey on a buddies buggy

Monkey and good boar he bayed SOLO as he does most times for me.

Monkey and a TIED hog. Yes that hog next to him is alive.

One of my favorite Monkey pics.

Dixie....by far the BEST find and bay dog I have ever hunted with...ever. Still alive but will be 16 years old in March (If she makes it).

Real good barr hog Dixie bayed SOLO.

JJ. I have two young dogs out of her by Monkey and just bred her to Otis (a male I raised and sold)

Red, littermate to JJ caught on a sow in a cypress swamp....SOLO

Litter of Monkey x JJ pups from a year or two ago.

Otis as a pup (yellow ringneck bob tail)

Otis at 9-10 years old

Didn't mean to hijack your post, but you asked about Fla curs and what they looked like. The dog you posted a pic of looks to me like a cur x hound cross. That's just my opinion, but that's what I would guess.

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 08:16:38 pm »

Few more pics...I couldn't resist!!  Grin

Black boar Monkey bayed...AND caught...SOLO. This was before he wised up and started baying more on the bigger hogs.

Spur. A Monkey son out of my old Chelsea female.

Spur and a 242 lb barr hog he bayed....SOLO.

Burley a Monkey x JJ male at two years old.

One more...Monkey and a bunch of TEXAS hog hunters....  Grin

Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »

Hahaha, they have learned how to bait us in huh Mark lol  Grin

Welcome to the Gun Show

crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »

I think so...but when you see a post about something you feel strongly about...you have to reply!!!  LOL

I hope to one day but a book together with stories and pictures of things I have seen messing with these dogs. Like the time I took two dogs to go move a wandering bull. Bull broke out of a thicket and ran, I sent the dogs to him and when I got there they had him stopped and bayed up against a fence and there was a grown COYOTE baying and circling the bull with the dogs.  The dogs had one eye on the bull & one on the coyote!!  Grin

Lots of stories, wish I had pics/videos of some of the things I have seen.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: