March 29, 2024, 02:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone hunt with a Spanish Alano Espanol ?  (Read 10313 times)
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:20 am »

I posted some hunting videos up top but I can't get them to play. I will make one more attempt.
[][/img]
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:49 am »

What are them two white dogs in the back left corner of the yard pick.

Catchin hogs cracker style
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 11:37:49 am »

All that's cool. But I don't see the need for me to bring in a out of country dogs to do what a dog down the street will do. There are many breeds around the world that will do the job. I guess if that's what u like and love then more power to ya. But there are many guys hunting that can take two or 3 curs and catch any hog out there and most of the time the pit is just the nail in the coffin not the start. All the videos I have seen on them there are 20 dogs on the ground that's just over kill around here. Not saying they ain't good I just never seen anyone use 20 rough curs and 6 pits to catch a hog. What is the price of one of those dogs and shipping run just curious. These are not jabs at u ether just things I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:31 pm »

All that's cool. But I don't see the need for me to bring in a out of country dogs to do what a dog down the street will do. There are many breeds around the world that will do the job. I guess if that's what u like and love then more power to ya. But there are many guys hunting that can take two or 3 curs and catch any hog out there and most of the time the pit is just the nail in the coffin not the start. All the videos I have seen on them there are 20 dogs on the ground that's just over kill around here. Not saying they ain't good I just never seen anyone use 20 rough curs and 6 pits to catch a hog. What is the price of one of those dogs and shipping run just curious. These are not jabs at u ether just things I
Totally understand your point. These dogs have been in my family since the 1500's they came with us when members of my family came to settle the Spanish possessions in the New World. The ones we keep in Cuba were Alanos but with some out crosses probably closer to Dogo Cubano. Don't need any other dogs than my Plotts! Prefer them over curs & pits! Alanos costa lot of money, I am able to afford going overseas and bringing them when I want. Good thing is that we get to chose the breed that we like.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:07 pm »

All that's cool. But I don't see the need for me to bring in a out of country dogs to do what a dog down the street will do. There are many breeds around link=topic=61380.msg556016#msg556016 date=1489167469]
All that's cool. But I don't see the need for me to bring in a out of country dogs to do what a dog down the street will do. There are many breeds around the world that will do the job. I guess if that's what u like and love then more power to ya. But there are many guys hunting that can take two or 3 curs and catch any hog out there and most of the time the pit is just the nail in the coffin not the start. All the videos I have seen on them there are 20 dogs on the ground that's just over kill around here. Not saying they ain't good I just never seen anyone use 20 rough curs and 6 pits to catch a hog. What is the price of one of those dogs and shipping run just curious. These are not jabs at u ether just things I have seen

By the way I don't use 20 dogs lol! I use 1 or 2 Plotts 1 Alano. Or 2 Alanos by themselves. I am sure there are good curs and pitts but I don't think that they would be very successful producing hogs in the mountains of NE Georgia,  Western North Carolina, and Eastern Tennessee.  There is a reason why you see predominately Plotts in those conditions. Do you have pits that yu think would be suitable for non feeder fed mountain Wild Bars?
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »

All legit questions from you judge peel, no jabs were taken lol.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »

White dogs in the background are called Podencos. Medium nosed dog used for trailing. Many of the guysuse them to start tracks. When they bark Alanos run to them and run down the hog. Some are hunting with only Alanos.  Good friends of mine are using the Plotts with the Alanos in Spain the same way that I am doingit here.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 01:40:57 pm »

Judge Peel, a well bred one should be around 500 euro if they will sell it. The best stock is usually only available to friends and family. Cost way to much to fly over in cargo, over $1000. I bring several on the fights with me for $200 per kennel and 2 can be in 1 kennel. For instance, in May I am taking 2 Plotts to Spain and I am bringing back 2 Alanos.  $200 per kennel makes it very cost effective.  But I agree with you, if it wasn't because of my family's history with Alanos, I would only run Plotts and stop plenty of bears and hogs. I think like the cur, the Alano will work very good on the smaller places that I have available to hunt. Alanos will also guard my place and great companion on the farm.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 01:50:54 pm »

Gotcha. My family is from North Carolina. Mnt curs are there and work very good. Yes plots are good and bad like any other breed. I wouldn't say any one breed is better then the others. But a good dog will work any where. I don't know what 500 euro is but if it's 500 bucks not bad. Lot of guys pay that for cur blood. Far as pits I would say the average pit cd is better then all the other cd breed in the catching and dying on the job dedication. Now some other cd catch with a certain style and that's cool. But far as catch and hold tell taken off I would go with pit

NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »

Euro is about the same as dollars just a few cents higher. Many think that the BMC & Catahoula have descendents in them from the Alanos. Alanos were the war dogs of the Spanish. Desoto brought them when he march from Florida though Georgia South Carolina and on to Mississippi
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »

Been living here in these SE Tennessee mountains for going on 13 years now. My Florida cur cowdogs have been fairly successful at keeping my freezers full of fresh pork. Extremely rough terrain and lots of Russian influence in these hogs, but still plenty "catchable", even for this flatland swamper Wink

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2017, 06:09:42 am »

A pit will catch a hog In any terrain the pig is bayed in. He don't care bout anything other then his job. Dogs will surprise you. I am sure if I was to hunt with your Spanish dogs they would surprise me. And Joe blow from any where USA would surprise you. A good dog is a good dog no matter where you take him.

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:07 am »

They are good looking dogs though, and I too believe there blood to be in some of our cur dogs, especially the Leapard dogs. I hear they have a pretty strong herding instinct(head style) Wink

Amokabs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2017, 04:18:16 pm »

So when the Spanish were colonizing the new world, did the only population of alanos brought with them wind up in Cuba?  Were  none brought to the mainland?. I know Spanish explorefs brought hogs to Fla ,, seems they would ha e brought the alanos in larger numberz.
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2017, 09:50:06 pm »

there were more than just the Alaunts. There were other types breeds. Guard dogs like the Spanish mastiff and herding dogs like the El Pastor Leones (Carea Leones) Types of greyhounds and a few others. Some real good history on Spanish and French during the conquest and settlements. Carea leones could be the link to a lot of leopard dogs in early America.  As they settled, colonized and built Missions across the gulf states and then moved inland they brought hogs, sheep, cattle and horses along with guard and herding dogs.  the Spanish really push across South America, Mexico toward California.  Some neat history about the Basque and the Basque shepherds and how they pushed 1000's of sheep from Texas to Oregon and Washington state. McNab  like the Basque shepherd so much it was crossed on to his collies to come up with the McNab Shepherd.  I think that was right at 1800 when that happened.  Old world dogs crossing with new world dogs and indian dogs made from some neat stuff out there...
decker
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2017, 09:45:51 pm »

I sure like the looks of the dog on the road, pretty interesting read.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2017, 09:49:47 pm »

Those are some good looking dogs

NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2017, 08:21:59 am »

So when the Spanish were colonizing the new world, did the only population of alanos brought with them wind up in Cuba?  Were  none brought to the mainland?. I know Spanish explorefs brought hogs to Fla ,, seems they would ha e brought the alanos in larger numberz.

They were brought to many of the areas that they landed in. Do some research, very easy to find on the internet.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 08:25:22 am »

Decker, the one on the road is named Messi, it was bred to the 2 females in the picture together. All are very good hog dogs. The pups were just born so to young to bring one back on this trip. I am bringing 2 pups from the other dog that you only see his head.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:32 am »

Decker, the pups I am bringing on my next trip come from the dog on the left. I have a great video of the female that is laying down but it doesn't load. You can see how many attempts I made.

Decker, the one on the road is named Messi, it was bred to the 2 females in the picture together. All are very good hog dogs. The pups were just born so to young to bring one back on this trip. I am bringing 2 pups from the other dog that you only see his head.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: