March 28, 2024, 12:18:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone hunt with a Spanish Alano Espanol ?  (Read 10310 times)
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:50 am »

Been living here in these SE Tennessee mountains for going on 13 years now. My Florida cur cowdogs have been fairly successful at keeping my freezers full of fresh pork. Extremely rough terrain and lots of Russian influence in these hogs, but still plenty "catchable", even for this flatland swamper Wink

My partner had some outstanding Florida Curs over in the LaBell area. Hunted a lot with them.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2017, 08:37:33 am »

A pit will catch a hog In any terrain the pig is bayed in. He don't care bout anything other then his job. Dogs will surprise you. I am sure if I was to hunt with your Spanish dogs they would surprise me. And Joe blow from any where USA would surprise you. A good dog is a good dog no matter where you take him.

I would have to agree with you, a good dog is a good dog anywhere. The Plotts that we have sent to Spain are doing outstanding. And if all I wanted was a straight catch dog, I would go with a game bred pit or a Banddog from Robinson. My friend has a couple from Robinson that are sledgehammers on hogs. Seriously considering getting one when he breeds his. If I didn't have the Alanos, I would probably still have a couple of Florida curs with my Plotts for hogs. Florida curs that I have hunted with hunt more in style with the Alanos that I am trying to select. Even though we have great dogs here that can do the job, the Alanos to me have a historical connection, and I like them more than just for hunting. They are an extremely noble and old breed with a lot of history to them.

bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2017, 09:59:17 am »

If you want to see how the Spanish dogs evolved in the Americas, google The Baldwin Project: Buccaneers of America by John Esquemeling. In the index click on The Island of Hispaniola. This is an eyewitness account written in 1666 by the author. It's a fact that some of the French from Hispaniola came to Louisiana the same time as the Acadians did. It would be hard for me to believe that they didn't bring dogs that had been a big part of their lives for a few generations. The same thing happened in Cuba and it's a documented fact the Cuban dogs were brought to Florida to hunt Indians. They were also used at prison camps during the civil war and by slave hunters.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Amokabs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2017, 05:30:50 pm »

I am researching by asking someone posting  and starting a thread with knowledge of an interesting breed . II'm curious , since they  came with the settlers, where are the purebred examples of the breed here in the new world?  Were the pure lines diluted over time? I suspect thats what happened.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 07:39:17 pm »

Been living here in these SE Tennessee mountains for going on 13 years now. My Florida cur cowdogs have been fairly successful at keeping my freezers full of fresh pork. Extremely rough terrain and lots of Russian influence in these hogs, but still plenty "catchable", even for this flatland swamper Wink

My partner had some outstanding Florida Curs over in the LaBell area. Hunted a lot with them.
Half my kin are from and still in Highlands county. You from down there or from Georgia.

Catchin hogs cracker style
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2017, 08:01:47 pm »

I am researching by asking someone posting  and starting a thread with knowledge of an interesting breed . II'm curious , since they  came with the settlers, where are the purebred examples of the breed here in the new world?  Were the pure lines diluted over time? I suspect thats what happened.
As we communicate I am reading the latest book published in Spain regarding the history of the Alanos and the project that began in 1980 to find the best stock that was still in Spain and save the breed. Since the project began with hunter breeders the breed has made a very good come back. The purest stock is registered with S.E.F.C.A.  You will find many Alanos that have been crossed with other breeds in the other registries. Extremely difficult to obtain S.E.F.C.A Alanos to take out of the country. I have to promise to abide by their rules and breed according to their beliefs. I also have to make breeding stock available to go back as they increase breeding of only the best stock.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2017, 08:03:52 pm »

Half my kin are from and still in Highlands county. You from down there or from Georgia.
I am also a flatland Swamper, grew up hunting in the Big Cypress Swamp and Avon Park Bombing Range in your neck of the woods.
NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2017, 08:12:52 pm »

I am also a swamper grew up hunting the Big Cypress Swamp,  all around Immokalee & LaBell and Avon Park Bombing Range in your neck of the woods. Had some really good Florida curs . My friends still hunt Florida curs.
mike rogers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2017, 09:19:13 pm »

dilute. I think so then transformed into new breeds. I think a combination of things happened as the conquest was happening.  Both French and Spain settled the coast lines and inland. Battles won and lost against the natives, themselves, as they moved conquered and  colonized. Then trades for goods, spices and animals for gold as they began to settle these areas and then send gold and goods back the Kings.  Trades such as the mustang horse brought native Americans, like the plains Indians,  down to Mexico area for trading.  This could have spread the old world breeds with the native American dog.  But I bet Mother nature took a hold as the war dogs bred native dogs. I would think the same with the guard dogs running with herding dogs. Some old writings talk about the landrace breed and it's importance to the new world. Not just dogs, but other stock.  Landrace dogs may be something for you to look into too.  Gotta remember we had wild game that these war dogs, guard dogs and herding dogs never seen before. Funny too how a "mastiff" covered a wide verity of dogs. Same with the old world hounds or hunting dogs.

good little thread you got going.

mike
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »

I am also a swamper grew up hunting the Big Cypress Swamp,  all around Immokalee & LaBell and Avon Park Bombing Range in your neck of the woods. Had some really good Florida curs . My friends still hunt Florida curs.
!0-4 I grew up in Bear Island and Turner River Units of the Cypress. Rest of kin, as well as myself, are from West Broward. Also hunted the bombing range quite a bit. Any evidence of those early Alano/Alaunt types coming white, especially in Cuba. Seems the newer dogs are mainly brindle and fawn.

NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:05 am »

[/quote]Half my kin are from and still in Highlands county. You from down there or from Georgia.
[/quote]!0-4 I grew up in Bear Island and Turner River Units of the Cypress. Rest of kin, as well as myself, are from West Broward. Also hunted the bombing range quite a bit. Any evidence of those early Alano/Alaunt types coming white, especially in Cuba. Seems the newer dogs are mainly brindle and fawn.

Small world,  I spent many years hunting Turner River and Bear Island until they forced us to give our camp on Turner River to the government.  I don't know what happened to the Dogo Cubano.  I still have a picture of me with one taken in 1958 and it was fawn. We used our dogs to work cattle as catch dogs to hold them. We had honrey Brahma.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:27 am »

10-4 on the rank Brammers Grin Small world indeed. I'm in McMinn County Tn these days. I've got some friends in Ellijay who I hunt and day work with from time to time. You close to there. I'd like to see them big daddy didn't marry mommys work sometime Smiley As stated above, lots of interesting info being discussed. No doubt a link between the Spanish dogs, as well as the French and Indian dogs, and our curs, especially them Leapards. Many old South/Central Florida families, as well as mine, shipped a lot of cattle to Cuba out of Punta Rassa years ago. It would be hard for me to believe those Cowman didn't trade stock dogs with them Cuban boys every now and again Wink

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:29 am »

Some interesting reading on Punta Rassa for those interested. Lots of well documented history around there, especially surrounding cattle culture in this country. Punch in Punta Rassa for reads.

NEGEORGIA-HOGHUNTER
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2017, 02:31:39 pm »

I lived my last 10 years in Florida on the Charlotte Sarasota county line so I am familiar with the Punta Rassa area. I spent a lot of time at Babcock Web. I live near Athens Georgia now.
Amokabs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »

This is a fascinating thread.  been looking at some info on the www today at work and it is very interesting. Seems there is a Spanish mastiff which some view as a variation of an alano while others see it as a totally differnet breed. Incredible how you can kennel so many together peacefully.  Would make it easier to bring them over in the large sailing vessels, I would imagine. Whenever you get a pack that you are happy with, and you are running them regularly, i would love to tag along, am a good hand, keep my mouth shut and listen and do as i'm told. I'm located just north of birmingham. Got a bunch a city hogs i keep fat on corn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: