April 25, 2024, 02:03:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Barrs:   TDHA Hunting Contest
Yes, Barrs should be allowed - 64 (53.8%)
No, Barrs should not be allowed - 31 (26.1%)
I don't care, I'll hunt the contest with or without Barrs - 24 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 119

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ******POLL*******Barrs: TDHA Hunting Contest  (Read 12497 times)
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:43 am »

The fuss as I see it is that some folks may bar every boar for a year or two and turn them loose in a remote area that only the really have access to and there is plenty of country for them to hunt.  Then when tournament time comes they use this place as a "Honey Hole" and therefore have a herd of hogs that have nothing on their mind but to eat and get big.  They dont compete for territory, breeding, or range as far unless otherwise pressed as a boar hog would.  therefore giving that team an equivalent of a stocked pond instead of an open public lake to hunt fo the torunament.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!
This is not how it is this is not what we are trying  to do. I weighed in one Barr after tdha competition this last year he weighed255 caught on a piece of property that does not work hogs. This hog ran over a mile and cut the hell out of my dog. It was all worth it to weigh him in. You guys have no clue we are not out to cheat you think we are its not what our plan is. If we catch a Barr we want him to count cause we know what we are doing. Ya'll  are pointing out what a cheater will do and doubting our integrity . Texasj  if the polygraph is useless than the hell with the whole thing. Im telling you  guys I could cheat legal with out barrs on fee ranged hogs the man loves hogs and feeds 1500 pounds of corn a week. That would be cheating. We are not out to cheat we are competitive people and by being competitive we strive for the best dogs. We are not asking to count barrs to cheat we are asking because we know if we get on one the work that goes into it. Two years ago bumpers competition bayed a Barr a broke the catchdogs leg hog weighed260. Stop knocking my integrity we show up ready for the polygraph and ready to compete. The rule is stupid in my eyes and I will fight to keep it off the tournament.

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
jhy
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 07:15:45 am »

The average hunter will not have a place like this set up, but there are folks that do have these places set up to only hunt for Comps, show dogs for sell at, and guide the occassional trophy hunt.  Know one is going to get upset if you have one or two Barrs in a stringer of  10, but if you have 4 or 5 in a stringer of 10 then it is obvious that you are hunting a place that you have cultivated for big hogs and that is more of working livestock and not hog hunting. ( I know there is no difference technically, but you have to understand that once you start working a herd like you would cattle then that herd has been altered from its natural state and therefore in my opinion not a true wild hog anymore).

Joey

"You lose a lot of money chasing hogs and women, but never lose women chasing money."
TexasJ
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:43 am »

And I have a hard time seeing how a lie detector test can sniff that out.

You're kidding right?

It's a simple question yes or no question for the person giving the polygraph to ask.

Well Mike, it's such a grey area.  Lets say they weren't held and collected, but moved one at a time.  And then the hunting spot slowly became saturated with big barrs.  That sort of slow trickle hardly seems like illegal behavior.  It would be difficult to tie that to a disqualification in a tournament.

Real men love Jesus.
TexasJ
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:07 am »

The fuss as I see it is that some folks may bar every boar for a year or two and turn them loose in a remote area that only the really have access to and there is plenty of country for them to hunt.  Then when tournament time comes they use this place as a "Honey Hole" and therefore have a herd of hogs that have nothing on their mind but to eat and get big.  They dont compete for territory, breeding, or range as far unless otherwise pressed as a boar hog would.  therefore giving that team an equivalent of a stocked pond instead of an open public lake to hunt fo the torunament.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!
This is not how it is this is not what we are trying  to do. I weighed in one Barr after tdha competition this last year he weighed255 caught on a piece of property that does not work hogs. This hog ran over a mile and cut the hell out of my dog. It was all worth it to weigh him in. You guys have no clue we are not out to cheat you think we are its not what our plan is. If we catch a Barr we want him to count cause we know what we are doing. Ya'll  are pointing out what a cheater will do and doubting our integrity . Texasj  if the polygraph is useless than the hell with the whole thing. Im telling you  guys I could cheat legal with out barrs on fee ranged hogs the man loves hogs and feeds 1500 pounds of corn a week. That would be cheating. We are not out to cheat we are competitive people and by being competitive we strive for the best dogs. We are not asking to count barrs to cheat we are asking because we know if we get on one the work that goes into it. Two years ago bumpers competition bayed a Barr a broke the catchdogs leg hog weighed260. Stop knocking my integrity we show up ready for the polygraph and ready to compete. The rule is stupid in my eyes and I will fight to keep it off the tournament.

I respect that a lot.

Real men love Jesus.
TexasJ
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 07:24:08 am »

The average hunter will not have a place like this set up, but there are folks that do have these places set up to only hunt for Comps, show dogs for sell at, and guide the occassional trophy hunt.  Know one is going to get upset if you have one or two Barrs in a stringer of  10, but if you have 4 or 5 in a stringer of 10 then it is obvious that you are hunting a place that you have cultivated for big hogs and that is more of working livestock and not hog hunting. ( I know there is no difference technically, but you have to understand that once you start working a herd like you would cattle then that herd has been altered from its natural state and therefore in my opinion not a true wild hog anymore).

Joey

Exactly!  And Chance is a shinning example of this when (and I may not quote you exactly) that there was a phone call and you let a team come in and catch 3 big barrs in one pasture.  These guys wouldn't have a problem in the world passing a lie detector test.

Real men love Jesus.
jhy
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 07:29:27 am »

Chance,

I am in now way saying that even the folks that set these places up are cheating, because it never occured to me that could be considered cheating.  Only thing we need to do is ask the question on the Polygraph, "Did you or any of your teamates catch this hog previously"  If they did then that hog doesnt count and if they didnt then run it through the scale.  That is the only compromise I see especially since this subject has been brought to light.  I totally agree that they should be allowed to be weighed in but the rules do say no previously caught hogs so if the hog was caught by someone on that team before and barred then rules are being broken.  I wish they never would have brought this up because we really just need to go have fun and catch as many hogs as we can, so the can be fed to the hungry or sold to a buyer and then the money be put to a worthy cause.

Joey

"You lose a lot of money chasing hogs and women, but never lose women chasing money."
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:37 am »

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!
This is not how it is this is not what we are trying  to do. I weighed in one Barr after tdha competition this last year he weighed255 caught on a piece of property that does not work hogs. This hog ran over a mile and cut the hell out of my dog. It was all worth it to weigh him in. You guys have no clue we are not out to cheat you think we are its not what our plan is. If we catch a Barr we want him to count cause we know what we are doing. Ya'll  are pointing out what a cheater will do and doubting our integrity . Texasj  if the polygraph is useless than the hell with the whole thing. Im telling you  guys I could cheat legal with out barrs on fee ranged hogs the man loves hogs and feeds 1500 pounds of corn a week. That would be cheating. We are not out to cheat we are competitive people and by being competitive we strive for the best dogs. We are not asking to count barrs to cheat we are asking because we know if we get on one the work that goes into it. Two years ago bumpers competition bayed a Barr a broke the catchdogs leg hog weighed260. Stop knocking my integrity we show up ready for the polygraph and ready to compete. The rule is stupid in my eyes and I will fight to keep it off the tournament.

I respect that a lot.
Chance,

I am in now way saying that even the folks that set these places up are cheating, because it never occured to me that could be considered cheating.  Only thing we need to do is ask the question on the Polygraph, "Did you or any of your teamates catch this hog previously"  If they did then that hog doesnt count and if they didnt then run it through the scale.  That is the only compromise I see especially since this subject has been brought to light.  I totally agree that they should be allowed to be weighed in but the rules do say no previously caught hogs so if the hog was caught by someone on that team before and barred then rules are being broken.  I wish they never would have brought this up because we really just need to go have fun and catch as many hogs as we can, so the can be fed to the hungry or sold to a buyer and then the money be put to a worthy cause.

Joey

Tell me guys..

How many of these livestock/tame Barrs have y'all caught???

Do y'all even have any clue what y'all are talking about? You don't cut hogs or participate how can you sit there and act like they are freaking cattle??

I've seen a hog cut one day & released. The NEXT f'ing day he was caught 9 miles from there. Don't sit there and tell us you can cut them and they will just lay around on the property like fat, show hogs eating everything.

We dropped on a track last year and nine miles later put a stop to the rankest 300# Barr you have ever seen.

Do y'all want to venture and guess what our return rate is on hogs we catch and hogs we cut??

We catch maybe 25-30% of the Barr hogs that were actually ones we cut. We'd be broke men on the stock market with returns like that. In the last 6 years we have caught probably 60-70 Barr hogs. Don't sit there and talk about stuff you have no idea about and merely are assuming

Get ahead dog!
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:13 am »

Texasj you are correct I would have called anyone of those from either team if it was a heard of hogs in that field. None of those hogs were cut by me or them guys. The place they were in was not a place I hunt at all.  The place is only 120 acres and these hogs have traveled there. I seen them and said y'all come catch them. When they got there the hogs had done moved in the woods . We called the other neighbors to make sure if there dogs got on them it would be ok. And the last of those barrs was caught over a mile away. If that would have been three big boars I would have done the same thing. Matter of fact the three biggest hogs I ever caught was three big boars in a watermelon patch  together  like livestock.

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
c.hykel
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 01:38:50 pm »

Every Barr that I caught always wrecked the dogs put us on a race none us us wanted to take but at the end when all said and done it was all worth it. Now if me and my dogs spent half a day running a Barr hog in the comp then when we take it to weigh and it's not allowed. Then it was a waste for my dogs. And y'all think a Barr hog is tamed by any means. Then I got one for you to get on he's already killed dogs wrecked dogs and that bad boy will put you to the test. I've been after him for awhile and he always seemed to come out on top.  I've never Barr hogs till this past year and them main reason I started to Barr hogs was because every Barr hog that I got on made my dogs work there tails off. Don't get me wrong I like when you can catch a hog in ten minutes from when you cut lose but when your dogs goes that exact mile of hard dog work. That's when I'm proud of my dogs the most.  And around here it's Barr hog that give us a good run for the money.
crj4926
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »

I'm not doubting you guys any about the barrs being bad and running a long ways but the ones I have caught didn't fight or run at all hardly and maybe it was just coincidence that they didn't run or fight the biggest one weighed 410lbs and squealed like a little pig. So I really don't see them being any worse about running or hurting dogs than any other hog.
sdillard
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:34 pm »

How do you figure it isnt that easy?  I have seen it done on several occassions, and seen these folks cut every boar save them in a pen until they get a load and then take them and dump them in a spot that nobody has access to but them and they really dont have that much access to it.  You put that many barrs that will grow faster and get bigger, and you have serious dog power then you will flat out slam some hogs and some nice ones at that.

If someone wants to cheat bad enough to do this then they will just find another way to cheat. I hunt deer leases, not a ranch or farm land and we dang sure dont ride around spot lighting till we see one and turn the dogs out on em. When we hunt our dogs put some hard work in! This is why we want a Barr hog to count, it about the dog not the hog!

Work on em son, work on em
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 06:17:55 pm »

How do you figure it isnt that easy?  I have seen it done on several occassions, and seen these folks cut every boar save them in a pen until they get a load and then take them and dump them in a spot that nobody has access to but them and they really dont have that much access to it.  You put that many barrs that will grow faster and get bigger, and you have serious dog power then you will flat out slam some hogs and some nice ones at that.

If someone wants to cheat bad enough to do this then they will just find another way to cheat. I hunt deer leases, not a ranch or farm land and we dang sure dont ride around spot lighting till we see one and turn the dogs out on em. When we hunt our dogs put some hard work in! This is why we want a Barr hog to count, it about the dog not the hog!

Do you really think us grainfeild hunters have it so easy??  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy laugh

Boy howdy I wish we spotlighted hogs and dropped dogs on them!!!!!! My dogs and the dogs belonging to a good friend of mine ROUTINELY put 20-30 miles per night on a garmin collar! That's just hunting, not "getting on a runner"

Add to that, most of the turn rows and roads in this country is rock solid hard in grain season (except for rice fields) doesn't hold tracks to turn out on so we have to just put the dogs down and make them run and hunt their own tracks. It sounds like a fib till you come here and see for yourself

I hope you were being general, because if you honestly think that's what us farm country boys do then I'll say you are wrong my friend.

Heck man, honestly the fellas I know hunting these grainfeilds down here by me go to the woods for a sorta hog hunting fun day. We like being in the woods where at least it's pretty!

I'm not "mines tougher than yours", but I don't take kindly to folks acting like hunting farmland is like taking candy from a baby.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
sdillard
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »

Heck man, honestly the fellas I know hunting these grainfeilds down here by me go to the woods for a sorta hog hunting fun day. We like being in the woods where at least it's pretty!

FUN DAY!!!! You have to be kidding me! And i never said it was easy the reason i say it is bc im pretty sure you are not allowed to barr a hog on FARM land! This post is about BARRS!

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 06:40:23 pm »

FUN DAY!!!! You have to be kidding me! And i never said it was easy the reason i say it is bc im pretty sure you are not allowed to barr a hog on FARM land! This post is about BARRS!

After reading and re-reading and re-reading what you wrote I can see where maybe you didn't intend to belittle grain hunters, but at first it sure as heck seemed as though you were.

Whatever, like Tupac says, " I ain't mad at ya"

In defense of my fun time comment. In my part of my county, hogs LIVE in the woods and only visit the grains. This means that when all your property is solely grain, you're probably gonna end up anywhere from 1/2 a mile to three miles off the grains if you have dogs who will run that track at all costs.

No offense meant to you, just trying to inform folks who may not realize it that all territories have their difficulties. I like woods better than grains because that's where I can easier find wallers and rubs an tracks. That's all I was getting at.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
sdillard
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:18 pm »

I can see why u took it as u did but what i ment by it is that where i hunt we and many other hunters barr all the boars we catch that way when and "IF" we ever catch them again they will be good for the freezer. And i know the people that get to hunt farm land or a ranch have to kill the hog and i would do the same if that is what i had to do to be able to hunt there but i dont so i wont till i do.

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

Cool deal man, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
sdillard
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:21 pm »

Water on a ducks back brother

collars and cutters kennels
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:43 am »

What I don't get is most contest rules say you can't turn in a hog that has been caught before. Well a Barr hog has been caught before , RIGHT???
TexasJ
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »

What I don't get is most contest rules say you can't turn in a hog that has been caught before. Well a Barr hog has been caught before , RIGHT???

That is correct.  The HDTT and several tournaments this year acknowledge this point.

Real men love Jesus.
collars and cutters kennels
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 12:37:37 pm »

I agree with josh!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: