March 28, 2024, 05:44:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Barrs:   TDHA Hunting Contest
Yes, Barrs should be allowed - 64 (53.8%)
No, Barrs should not be allowed - 31 (26.1%)
I don't care, I'll hunt the contest with or without Barrs - 24 (20.2%)
Total Voters: 119

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ******POLL*******Barrs: TDHA Hunting Contest  (Read 12145 times)
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2013, 10:49:45 am »

I catch and cut boars all year and love to catch a good barr just like the next hog hunter. This is what I see the problem is with having them in a tournament, not everybody can or has the country to cut boars and re-catch them so that gives them a disadavanage. We all know how big a barr can get and how fast it happens with the right feed. A boar hog will not gain weight that fast even with the right feed. I have entered any many tournaments and have won and lost with a barr. But here is the catch in the tournaments HOGS ARE NOT TO BE PRE-HANDELED BEFORE THE TOURNMENT.... There is no way around that with barr hogs. I do think there needs to be a side pot for biggest barr.

Well said!!! A good side pot. With the amount of people supporting barrs this should be a BIG side pot. Sounds like a good fix!
reatj81
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:01 am »

I catch and cut boars all year and love to catch a good barr just like the next hog hunter. This is what I see the problem is with having them in a tournament, not everybody can or has the country to cut boars and re-catch them so that gives them a disadavanage. We all know how big a barr can get and how fast it happens with the right feed. A boar hog will not gain weight that fast even with the right feed. I have entered any many tournaments and have won and lost with a barr. But here is the catch in the tournaments HOGS ARE NOT TO BE PRE-HANDELED BEFORE THE TOURNMENT.... There is no way around that with barr hogs. I do think there needs to be a side pot for biggest barr.

Well said!!! A good side pot. With the amount of people supporting barrs this should be a BIG side pot. Sounds like a good fix!
Go spend 6 hrs catching one and win a Side pot!   Lol
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:00 pm »

Go spend 6 hrs catching one and win a Side pot!   Lol

Lol. We/I spend hours upon hours hunting, chasing, catching boars, barrs, sows, shoats year round... All for nothing but the sport because 98% of the time there is no tournament going on. I guess I missed your point...
crj4926
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:06 pm »

Never spent 6 hrs catching one so wouldn't know
cward
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2013, 11:41:57 pm »

Never spent 6 hrs catching one so wouldn't know
I sure as hell have.

Hog hunting can start more crap than anything I have ever seen!(HDLCrystal)
Remember John Wayne was just an actor the real cowboys is who he looked up to..........
crj4926
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2013, 10:46:19 am »

Not trying to get in a pissing match or anything but I'm sure barrs are like anything else that some of them can be hell to catch but in just my experiences with the ones that we have caught they were the easiest hogs we have ever caught. The biggest one ever caught weighed 437 and he squealed like a short and didn't run anywhere.
ScoobSmart
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:32 pm »

We got 4 last year & each one was over 400# & killed at least 2 dogs. Like you said tho, they're like anything else, you never know.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »

You caught 4 hogs in one year over 400.  Not trying to call you out, but one hog in a year over 400 is pretty special, much less 4, let's see em! Did you mount any of em?

My piney woods just don't grow em like that.
clint
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:27 pm »

I'm with you BA... I've spent my whole lifetime chasing hogs and only caught 1 over 4. That's impressive lol

Quality over Quantity!

You gotta cut the boars to catch the Barrs.

Get Ahead Son!
ScoobSmart
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2013, 05:32:42 pm »

So just cause you guys haven't done it, it's not possible? It doesn't matter to me if ya believe it or not. I was there & know what happened.
I only have pics of 2 of em & one of the mounts. My dad has another mount & my cousin has the other 2 mounts.

BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:33 pm »

Nobody saying they didn't believe you, just commenting on how rare it was.

If I caught one hog over 400, I'd have a BUNCH of pictures of it, much less four hogs.  You don't have to defend yourself, just us Barr hog hunters being curious.  My piney woods don't grow em like that, did y'all scale them hogs or guesstimate?
clint
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 07:49:02 pm »

I didn't say it's impossible. I said I've been hunting a long time and caught ALOT of hogs over 300lbs and only 1 over 4.. It takes a hell of a hog to break 4. Most people don't really know what a hog weighs until you put it on a scale.

Quality over Quantity!

You gotta cut the boars to catch the Barrs.

Get Ahead Son!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: