Fenbendazole - Panacur/Safe-Guard

(1/3) > >>

Mark T:
After the Ivermectin post I got thinking/cranking the mg/kg on other items I am giving my dogs and here is what I came up with.  Once again my math might be off, however the mg percentages are the most important part here.

Panacur C Canine Dewormer
Panacur® (fenbendazole) Granules 22.2% contains the active anthelmintic, fenbendazole. The chemical name of fenbendazole is methyl 5-(phenylthio)-2-benzimidazole carbarnate. The CAS Registry Number is 43210-67-9.
Panacur® Granules 22.2% contains 222 mg/g of fenbendazole.

FOR DOGS - 50 mg/kg (22.7 mg/lb.) daily for 3 consecutive days for the removal of ascarids (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum, Uncinaria stenocephaia), whipworms (Trichuris vulpis), and tapeworms (Taenia pisiformis).

DIRECTIONS - The daily dosage of 50 mg/kg (22.7 mg/lb) (so a 70 lb dog needs 1,589 mg of Fenbendazole x3 days to be effective) can be achieved as follows:  Using a gram scale, weigh out 1 gram of Panacur® (fenbendazole) Granules 22.2% for each 4.44 kg or 10 lbs. body weight.  Daily dosages must be repeated for 3 consecutive days. Mix the appropriate amount of drug with a small amount of the usual food: dry dog food may require slight moistening to facilitate mixing with the drug.
TOXICOLOGY DATA - Panacur® Granules 22.2% did not cause toxicity when administered to weaned pups at doses equal to 5 times the recommended daily dose (which means 22.7 mg x 5 = 113.5mg per lb)and for 2 times the duration of treatment.
Vs.

Safe-Guard® Paste 10% Equine Dewormer
Safe-Guard® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% contains the active anthelmintic, fenbendazole. Each gram of Safe-Guard® Paste 10% contains 100 mg of fenbendazole and is flavored with artificial apple-cinnamon liquid. The antiparasitic action of Safe-Guard® Paste 10% is believed to be due to the inhibition of energy metabolism in the parasite.
Size - 25 gram paste 10% (100 mg/g). Tube size is 4" and the nozzle is 1-1/2”. Which means the whole tube contains 2,500 mg of Fenbendazole, and half the tube contains 1,250 mg of Fenbendazole.

PANACUR (FENBENDAZOLE 25GM PASTE 10% HORSE DEWORMER -  Panacur (fenbendazole) 10% contains the active anthelmintic, fenbendazole . the chemical name of fenbendazole is methyl 5-(phenylthio)-2benzimidazolecarbamate. Each gram of Panacur Fenbendazole paste 10 % contains: 100 mg of fenbendazole and is flavored with artificial apple-cinnamon liquid. Panacur (fenbendazole) paste 10% is administered orally at a rate of 2.3 mg/lb. (5 mg/kg) for the control of large strongyles, small strongyles, and pin worms. One syringe will deworm a 1,100 lb. horse For foals and weanlings (less than 18 months of age) where ascarids are a common problem, the recommended dose is 4.6 mg/lb. (.10 mg/kg) One syringe will deworm a 550 lb. horse. So 100mg per gram + 25 gram tube = 2,500 mg for the whole tube and 1,250mg for half a tube.

So my calculations based from the Panacur C dog wormer and the Panacur/Safe-Guard Horse wormer is that to get the recommended mg per dog you would need to use more than half a tube of the horse wormer for 3 days.  A Horse only needs 2.3 mg- 4.6mg/lb and dogs need 22.7mg/lb to be effective.  What does everyone else think about these calculations?  I would like someone feedback.
Best Regards,
Mark T

Mark T:
Any feedback?

BRC:
Pretty accurate.I always used 1/2 tube one day and the rest next day.
Zimectrin works better.Also keep a bottle  HOOTS CHOICE WORMER from Hoot Gibson.
Works as good as any I have seen.10.00-6 oz,can`t give too much to young pups either.

Mark T:
BRC,
I appreciate the reply.  I will look at Zimectrin and Hoot's choice wormer.
Mark T

Cull Buck:
Is it just me or does that shade of blue over the ETHD background make you go cross-eyed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page