April 25, 2024, 01:02:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Okie dog owners:  (Read 2286 times)
jlingle
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:56:32 am »

Here's the latest idiot attempt by PETA nuts to infringe on your rights:  HB 3192 by Rep. Denney in the Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

I just became aware of it yesterday. It is the Oklahoma Pet Quality Assurance and Protection Act. Basically, it sets up a system to try to control dog and cat breeders in Oklahoma. Sounds all snazzy on the surface, huh? When you start reading further, it states that if you want to have X number of puppies per year, then you will be required to purchase a license from the state. If you import or export dogs across state lines, both you AND the person sending you dogs will need to have a license, as well as having your farms inspected by this new state agency they're creating. Any owners of dog kennels, dog breeding facilities, etc. must have their farms inspected, and both they and their employees must be required to pass tests on what they called "basic animal health care", being able to recognize animal cruelty, veterinary needs of animals, animal husbandry, etc. etc. etc. Any and all litters of dogs must be documented, and you will pay the state to have the puppies, all dogs must be documented until they leave your posession as well. So if one of them dies, you must notify the state what happened to the dog, if it was euthanized they want to know who performed the procedure & how it was done, and all of this must be documented by the dog owner. This affects peace officers and animal control officers as well. If they are involved in a situation where a dog or cat is injured or killed, guess what..... they have to fill out a report to this state agency, or they are in violation of the law. Any non-compliance will follow a schedule of fines, reaching as high as $10K in fines, and/or liens being placed on your property.

Why do I care? My family has been in the greyhound business for 3 generations now. My grandfather, dad, uncle, and cousin all currently have dog farms. The paperwork and money that this bill will cost our farms will cripple us. We have dogs on our farm from all over the country, and we train them for people who don't have the facilities. This new law would require these people who send us dogs, to purchase an out of state breeders license to send us dogs ($450+)as well as have their farms inspected. Not only that, but we have over 300 greyhounds being raised and trained on our farm all the time. Can you imagine what kind of paperwork it would take to track each dog from conception to when it leaves the farm? We are members of the National Greyhound Association, which polices itself. Our farm is inspected by NGA people each year, free of cost to us. We have an army of employees on our farm to take care of and train these dogs. Our dogs are treated better than 75% of the people in the world. Free food to them, free health care, heating in the winter, cooling in the summer, and someone to care for their every need. But now we will be subject to the laws and restrictions of this new agency if this new bill passes.

That sucks.

Sorry for being so long winded. I'm a little fired up.

This is a blatant attempt by PETA nuts to eliminate the breeding of all dogs in Oklahoma. They want it to be so expensive and so full of hassle, that no one wants to do it.
Sean
Administrator
Boar Slayer

"You get that on video??", "..umm....well...."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:56:25 am »

wow, that sucks. the bad thing about laws like that are that they can open the door for more and more laws and regulations, until they tighten the noose so much that it's just not worth the hassle. one of the biggest problems in this country is the thinking that you can make enough laws to completely control something. then we just end up with one more over-regulated industry, and it usually doesn't work in the end anyway. i can see where this is going to hurt a lot of people there if it passes.

pig snatcher
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:11:08 pm »

They are trying to pass stupid laws all over the country.  They are pushing for a no chain law here, and will likely get it the way it is looking.  I guess my well kept dogs on their chains arent being treated as well as all the wormy dogs that spend their entire life in a 6X6 pen, wading around in their crap.  :Smiley

The problem today is we have elliminated natural sellection from society.  Allowing the stuppid that would normaly cull themselves out of a population to survive to reproductive age, creating more stupid people.
And as Ron White said, "there is no cure for stupid." Grin Cheesy Grin
Its only going to get worse. Angry
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:13:20 pm by pig snatcher » Logged
GitDatHawg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:23:07 am »

Thats hilarious pigsnatcher!! Cheesy Cheesy  But I totally agree with that, its no longer only the strong survive.  We've got idiots breeding with idiots to make double time idiots.  As far as the discussion, "Thats just the government pinching away at our freedoms."  Its really sad that the honest person ends up having to pay for what the dishonest person doesn't (the people who treat there animals poorly).  In the meantime the person trying to run a good business gets slammed with all these new regulations, laws and taxes that in the end only hurts the honest folks.  Its like I was sayin to my dad, "dang what do I need health insurance for, bc my fiance went to the doctor without insurance and it only cost her $20 extra for medicine and all"  And he said, "cause when go to hospital and run up $500,000 bill if you dont have insurance they will come and take all the land you own to get there money."  It seems us here in agriculture or any self-employed business cant afford to pay for insurance but we sure as hell can't afford not to have it.  OK i done preachin.  I also get fired up about these things, it hits home, you know what i mean.  Wink Wink   But good things are in store for us, nothing but good things.

Damn freedom pinchin government, ha ha Cheesy
jlingle
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:20 am »

I just wanted you guys to know that the Oklahoma House bill that we were fighting is now dead.  My grandpa called me last night, and had just spoken with his representative.  They killed it in committee.  I imagine they'll try to bring it up again though, just at a different time.  Regardless, it's darn good news.
mley1
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »

I just wanted you guys to know that the Oklahoma House bill that we were fighting is now dead.  My grandpa called me last night, and had just spoken with his representative.  They killed it in committee.  I imagine they'll try to bring it up again though, just at a different time.  Regardless, it's darn good news.

Be carefull. Sometimes they'll attach stuff like that as an amendment on a spending bill or something. Ya gotta keep a watchfull on eye that stuff man.

God bless and good hunting,

Marty Ley
Santa Fe, TX
NAHC Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: