March 29, 2024, 07:26:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog Conservationist or Hog Killer?  (Read 1905 times)
hillcountry
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:12:49 pm »

Every single one dies.

If your scared you can ride in my pocket.
dogo24
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 11:37:46 pm »

rice farmers worst nightmare !  kill or sale

SEAL THE DEAL WITH A SQUEEL !
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 09:05:21 am »

Mainly conservationist.  I prefer to cut the boars and turn them loose and never kill a sow. I cut boars for years on the ranch I lived on and we had some great Barr hogs. Never killed a sow the whole time I was on the ranch (7 years) as if you wanted a hog, you could go catch a Barr.

With some of the public land hunts they require you to kill the hogs. If they catch you turning one loose, you won't get a permit to hunt that place again (or any other water management land).  So I mainly kill the hogs on those hunts. But every now and then, when you are way off a road, one may accidently slip loose......

I keep hearing about the "overpopulation" of hogs. Places I hunt there are fewer and fewer hogs every year. Too many people killing everything they can, whether its with dogs, traps or shooting. I wish I could find a place to hunt here in Fla that actually had a good hog population.  The guy I used to hunt with the most, has a couple leases.  He and I used to hunt together a lot. He rarely killed a hog and got in trouble at his old lease because he got mad at the deer hunters for killing all the hogs. But he has bought into the "non native invasive species " crap. Now he traps, snares and shoots hogs 365 days a year. Now these are woods leases no crops at all. It just makes me mad as I have young dogs to train and he kills everything he can, then wants me to bring my young dogs out and try to catch the big nasty boar hogs he can't catch. I am the one that pays the vet bills and gets wrecked dogs as thats all that is left on the place.  Bad boar hogs and young inexperienced dogs are not a good combination......

I also have another gripe along the same lines. I trap hogs in places I can't run dogs and try and find homes for them...alive. I buy the corn...spend my time and money checking traps, wrestling live hogs out of traps, putting them in my dog box (by myself most of the time) and give them to guys that have hunting leases and want the hogs.

One year I gave a guy over 70 LIVE hogs to turn loose at his club. We hunted together and I took him to my places and on several public land hunts. He even got some pups from me. But he NEVER, not one time EVER invited me to hunt HIS club....the one that he turned all the hogs loose on. Even though we hunted together for 3-4 years. So needless to say that got old k....

Then I have another guy that I have hunted with. Nice guy, I like him as we get along, rag on each other's dogs etc. But again, I have known this guy for several years, have given him over 30 live hogs for his lease and in the 2-3 years I have hunted with him I have been invited to hunt his lease ONE time and that was dead of summer and the whole hunt might have lasted an hour. Even though I have taken him to my club, put him up at my house on public land hunts, etc.

What gets old is when these guys text you pics of hogs they caught over the weekend, at their leases, AFTER they went hunting. But you never get an invite BEFORE they go hunting......ever, even though you are the one that helped stock their leases.

So I guess I need new hunting places (with lots of hogs) and a couple new hunting buddies!

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
hogdogger98
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 09:58:22 am »

It's hard to find good hunting buddies. So instead of trying to find someone to go with me I just take my 13 year old boy!! Always depend on him to never let me down.
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »

Dont get started on huntin buddies. HARD to find one. Epecially that hunts like me an my dogs.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »

Am and we are both! What it calls for we do .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 04:03:15 pm »

crackerc......

I dunno what part of FL you reside in but I was born/raised/lived there up till I moved to these parts 4yrs ago. Before I left, there were HOGS GALORE over in Pasco county, specifically the Lutz/New Port Richey area. Lots of open land over there, and I used to see sounders alllll the timejust driving through. Dunno if there's still that many out there or not though.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 04:52:43 pm »

i like to hunt hogs so i like to turn everyone i get my hands on back loose. people have got into the knive thing around here and it just seems to me like it takes the sport out of it, i had much rather have caught one and got it tied than walked up there and stuck it with a knife it just seems to me like when you stick it with a knife everything is over with . me and my buddy have a new motto " catch and tie" not stick and die.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 07:14:01 pm »

So I guess I need new hunting places (with lots of hogs) and a couple new hunting buddies!

Sounds like you do!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: