April 24, 2024, 02:17:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind speed?  (Read 601 times)
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:52 am »

What is the highest wind speeds a dog can ADEQUATLY still find pigs? I hood hunt my dogs. I know the type of dogs you hunt will differ. I'm mainly wondering about wind dogs.
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:28:30 am »

I think wind direction would be more of a factor. My young dogs seem to do better with little to no wind.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:29 pm »

Man, thats a pretty complex question... No one will ever give you a straight answer, every dog is different, and every part of every piece of land will be different... I typically prefer a wind less than 15, and a good heavy frost or dew on the ground. If its dry and windy, that trail will just carry off and thats where you start realizin just how good your dogs are... Humidity has alot to do with it too, scent dont stick to dry.  My cuatro gyp (bmc) does good with wind, but shes the only one iv got that will. We have to be within reasonable distant if she does wind. In a 25-30 mph wind all we get is give or take 200 yds.
Jpigg
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:02:07 am »

Yes it is complex. Wind is by dogs or anything else,(I.e. deer, hogs, etc.)used to establish presence, determine direction, and measure distance. And in that exact order takes more skill from least to highest for animals to be good at. Its similar to the way someone uses a magnetic tracking system. Someone who has used one a long time can point you in a staight line to a dog and can be very accurate on how far they are away. Verses someone who is a begineer can point you in a round a bout direction with little confedence of if their right about that. To me, if a dog can actually find hogs winding they have to have tons of em under the ol belt and be sharply worked. Even then if put up for a few mnths would not be able to when started  again. I'm talking about like finding em with a blindfold. At some point they have to start sighthuntin or take the track to find the hog. As a dog finds more hogs with wind they will start making staighter lines to where they need to be and be more confident on when it is time to downshift a gear ortwo and start lookng. They can get good enough to actually find blindfolded like this. You need a lil wind for them to do this. But there does come a point to where it can get confusing  and a point to where it is unmanageable. The more it picks up the more it changes directions and the more it spreads asscent when it throws it. Think of someone smoking a cig, the smoke you see is exactly like a scent. In light wind you could follow a smoke cloud a short distance to the source. In a strong wind all you will be able to see is there is something making smoke. Maybe a general direction of where it coming,to get  any idea of an exact direction you have to get real close. And then the distance doesn't matter cause your real close. And presence is a yes or no. In other words, if I had the best winddog in the world, I wouldn't expect much out of him in high wind.

for all you hog hunters out there. if your heart aint in it 100 percent, get out. dogs are a reflection of there owner and they will only be as good as you make em.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:04:16 am »

Out on a hunt with Monty last year...his dogs winded from...450? Sound right Monty? I can't really remember the wind speed that night...thinkin probably 10-15 mph, if I remember right.

Know for a fact the distance because the hogs were in a trap.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: