March 28, 2024, 07:25:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch Dog Question  (Read 874 times)
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:57 am »

My son took a guy hunting yesterday. This guy raises game bred pits. All his dogs are off of Mr. Floyd Boudreaux,s dogs. This was the guys first time hog hunting and he wanted to try one of his dogs and since we are lacking a catch dog right now my son said sure bring one. They turned him lose on 2 hogs. They said he did the same on both. He ran in and grabbed ear and started shaking back and forth, then when the bay dogs latched on he turned loose and grabbed neck. The dog is about 15 mnths. old. This was the first time this dog seen a hog.  Do you think he will eventually stop the shaking like a rag doll and turning loose to grab neck or should we just try another dog ?
He's got plenty to try but he was hoping to use this one.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:11:41 am »

Most bulldogs I've seen do that keep on. But time will tell.

I bet that dog was either black or red huh?

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »

Black. Mrs. Louisiana  Do you know personally of any dogs from this bloodline making catch dogs? I can get a young dog from him but these dogs are not from catch dog parents. I just hate to waste time and it not work out.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
hogmantx1979
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:30:22 pm »

My dogs are Boudreaux and carver and hate a hog joshstockley has a gyp from me as well

Life is what you make of it!!! Always stay positive
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »

My dogs are Boudreaux and carver and hate a hog joshstockley has a gyp from me as well

Do you or did you have problems with them shaking their heads trying to rip the ear off or letting go and grabbing on somewhere else?

hogmantx1979
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »

Mine grab and keep held my gyp needs a break stick but no they don't try to fight a hog

Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:14:21 pm »

He shakes now, he's not stoppin anytime soon. That lettin go stuff wouldn't fly either. JMO
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »

Black. Mrs. Louisiana  Do you know personally of any dogs from this bloodline making catch dogs? I can get a young dog from him but these dogs are not from catch dog parents. I just hate to waste time and it not work out.

Yessir sure do. The best one to look through a collar thus far on this yard (belonging to my husband) was beyond an amazing catch dog.

This is him (RIP Stonewall)

I own his daughter. I'll be stating her up real soon. She's young and slow to mature. Worth the wait, as was her daddy.

Stone was extremely intelligent. He would wind and find his own as well if possible. We used to run him solo alot of times! You'd hear two barks and that sucker had one caught and he would hold it down no matter what until you got to him. He took some beatings. That dog was somethin' else I tell ya. Super smarts. He was an honest bulldog too, but he knew when we were out workin'/hunting, he wouldn't dare fool with any other dogs. He took till he was about 3yrs old to fully come in to a more mature state of mind, but I find that common with this line of dogs. They are worth the wait. I'd surely give one a shot. Stone was a pure Eli dog, through Mr Floyd and Mr Clemmons' dogs. His daughter that I have is an outcross, but she shows to favor her daddy's traits very well. We'll see.

jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

I'd give him a little more time.  He catches one big enough to sling him around a bit he ought to learn that ear is a whole lot easier to hang onto than a neck.  Perfect scenario would be to get him in on a bay with a sow or boar with no teeth and try him solo and see how he does. Good news is he's hitting the ear first......
had the same issue with current CD. His mouth is so large he was catching ear and neck.  As the hogs got bigger, the neck catching reduced itself drastically.

Good luck.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

Alot of that shaking and straight forward kinda bulldog all has to do with the breeding this line the Bx line is a aggressive straight forward line , take it to the hog hence  all the shaking and swapping holds   .  Now not all will do this but most will. Its a offensive type of bulldog. Again not all will do this but most will just depending on the little cross they have in them.

Not all line of Bulldogs bloodlines are like this you have other bloodlines that are known as defensive type of bulldogs very talented that will not do this and are straight ear type of dogs the rope a dope hold the hog out these kind will most the time make some damn great great catch dogs .  They tend to not fight the hog but hold the hog and will let the aggressor wear themselves out such as Ali's Rope a dope.   They get them a Holt in a great position and hold and hold till the hog wears himself down are out .

Its just like the difference between a Back off Bay dog and a Kamikaze head hunter !

Most the time they are gonna be bred completely different are even different breeds !

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
Doggie
Strike Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »

The grabbing the neck or back usually is a dominance issue. Once the dog catches a few he probably will not regrip. I would be more concerned with the shaking trying to rip the ear off more than him trying to dominate the hog.

If you aint willing to stay on the ground and fight with your dogs, get the He!! out of the woods city boy stay in the stand and shoot em.
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »

Alot of that shaking and straight forward kinda bulldog all has to do with the breeding this line the Bx line is a aggressive straight forward line , take it to the hog hence  all the shaking and swapping holds   .  Now not all will do this but most will. Its a offensive type of bulldog. Again not all will do this but most will just depending on the little cross they have in them.

Not all line of Bulldogs bloodlines are like this you have other bloodlines that are known as defensive type of bulldogs very talented that will not do this and are straight ear type of dogs the rope a dope hold the hog out these kind will most the time make some damn great great catch dogs .  They tend to not fight the hog but hold the hog and will let the aggressor wear themselves out such as Ali's Rope a dope.   They get them a Holt in a great position and hold and hold till the hog wears himself down are out .

Its just like the difference between a Back off Bay dog and a Kamikaze head hunter !

Most the time they are gonna be bred completely different are even different breeds !

Thanks, Jimmy. Makes a lot of sense. Mrs.Louisiana and others that replied, thanks.

Here's the deal. I'm not particularly looking for a game bred pit, but that's what I have access to. This guy is a family friend and offered us a dog. All his dogs are Boudreaux/Carver dogs. I'm skeptical about buying dogs off the dog trade. Hell I'm skeptical about buying dogs period.  I would just hate wasting another year only to find out the dog won't catch/work like we want. But hey, I know
that's the name of the game.  I was hoping to find a young dog from someone I trusted that came off of catch dog parents. Is there any other reasons I should not get the game bred dog? Just trying to decide. Again thanks to all who commented so far.

MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:31 pm »

Just remember, you will have to be firm from a young age on him/her. Be prepared for the potential of dog aggression down the road. Pretty typical stuff.

hogmantx1979
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »

Jim I have a few CDs that are almost one and they will listen no dog aggression and catch without the bs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: