April 24, 2024, 02:02:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How far do you call far ?  (Read 740 times)
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:04 am »

We hunted the 3w tournment this weekend an hunted Friday night a lil then Saturday morining ,
Well one of my dogs was only at about 10 miles covered on GPS on Saturday morining when I turned him loose we Bayed a hog quick so I say he was at mayb 15 miles by that time he had traveled well in the process of gettin hog out he rolled out an got bayed at a mile was bayed for a long time maybe 45 min well then the hog broke an went to running an running txsteve 10 month old pup stayed with him a long time prolly 2 hours or so , well after almost 4 hours my dog still running this hog through the swamp all over the place ,
I know y'all gonna ask how I now it same hog haha I was thinking he was on diffrent hog to that was till I saw the hog an the dog

So almost 4 hours Im sittin at edge of river looking at GPS an dog coming to me straight to me at I got dog at 200 yards headed my way well about 125 yards I see a big big black boar hog walking not real fast wore out just staying ahead of the dog well I'm trying to figure out how to get catch dog across this big dang river
The hog turns an goes down other side of river an about 75 or 100 yards behind the hog is my dog still trailing but he Anit going very fast they both head back in to swamp an about 15 or 20 min later my dog quit the track an was totally exhausted

From my best calculations he ran that hog around 23 or 25 miles total trip around an around this swamp, I never really see the hogs that my dogs run till they get bayed I'm just wondering how much farther this hog could go ?

We could of caught this hog if we could of got all the dogs together but we were trying to hurry to catch hogs an though he would of bayed so we were going to other dogs waiting for mine to bay but we should of just sent more dogs to him an got them all on same hog instead we had a bunch of tired dogs all over the place

So how far is the farthest you had hog run ? Best guess
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:07:18 am »

One night I was hunting some thick bottoms, and Fred struck a hog within 20 mins of being no the property. This hog took him 22 miles on that hunt and I finally got him leashed up because this hog wasn't stopping and I needed to go to work. We ended up walking 12 miles that night, and Fred and I were both worn smooth out! It made me wonder how long that hog could have kept running before he decided to just stop and fight.

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »

Good thread...I'm interested to hear some responses. Before Garmin there was no way to tell...now it's easy.
Jasper covered 25 miles Sunday...but not on 1 hog. He got a split pad but that was early in the hunt...and he KEPT going. Honestly...when we called them in he still seemed to have gas in the tank...bad pad and all. Dogs are amazing. Real interested to hear some responses on this.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:06:00 pm »

we run one 18 or 20 miles one day, i started my garmin collars over that morning when i marked the truck and caught one boar and the next track they got on went for a good stroll, reason i know it was the same hog i seen when the dogs winded the track crossing the road and left out on it and they crossed several roads along the way and i kept trying to send other dogs on the track and we caught a hog that would fit the track they left on but where we caught him was in a deep creek with steep banks i think he got hung up and dogs wouldnt let him run anymore, but i remember that day the dogs ran around 25 miles total but i remember looking after we caught the first hog and i think that they  had been like 6 miles and after we caught the second it was around 25 point something. it was a good run. just about every hog we catch is going to run well over a mile but that hog 2 dogs stayed on him the whole time i sent young dogs on that track and would pick them up on the next crossing, i like them long races every now and then and im not saying they are gonna run every hog that far but i know of several more occasions i would have like to known what the distance was.
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:39:53 pm »

I know me and Brandons (hogsnatchers) and a few other guys dogs ran one Shreveport to lake Charles and back one night and nvr did see it. Can't remember the distance but we were miles away by the time we caught the dogs.
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

It sure seemed like that far up there that night lol I remember looking on the garmin and they covered something like 27-28 miles through some bad thickets  pine plantations and bottoms out through there. Dogs were cut up from briars and such pretty good

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:58:38 pm »

I consider anything up this way on most properties over 8-10 miles for the whole hunt is a long night so they really traveled that night. Some of the river properties they cover a good bit more

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »

Man I hunted with a guy on a ranger Saturday night and we're cruising through the lease and he pulled out his garmin I cringed and almost bailed lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: