April 19, 2024, 09:13:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trash Breaking Older Dog  (Read 589 times)
Jared H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:28 pm »

I got a BMC from a buddy that got out of hunting and this dog has some serious hunt in him.  I'd guess he's around 3 and has found me a couple of hogs.  Bad thing is he still trashes on deer.  And not just for a few hundred yards,  he has bottom with them too.  My question is anyone have any luck trash breaking an older dog?  Any advice will be appreciated.

Jeremiah 16:16

There our two types of pain: The temporary pain of training or the permenant pain of failure. Choose wisely...
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »

I wouldnt cosider three old.  A shock collar will work if used properly.

Start by walking him across deer tracks and if he wants to run the track bump him.  Id have the collar on him each and every hunt and as soon as he starts a deer he must know hid behavior is not correct.

I think too many people throw a collar on a dog and turn it up as high as they can get it.  Then they burn a dog up as soon as they know it is a deer.  Possible to ruin a dog like that.
Jared H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:29:10 am »

I've been running him with a shock collar and have shocked him off of deer a couple of times.  I don't consider 3 to be that old I'm just used to trash breaking pups and never have tried with an older dog.

There our two types of pain: The temporary pain of training or the permenant pain of failure. Choose wisely...
t.wilbanks
Hog Doom

Trenton Wilbanks Daingerfield,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:19 am »

Sounds like a cull to me!!! I think you should just cut your losses with him....   Grin  Cheesy
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:15:52 am »

yees sir 3 is just the right age to trash break . i have had a way easier time trash breaking grown dogs than young full of  p & v wanna run everything pups  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Jared H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:50 pm »

Thanks Mr. Whitten.  That's what I was hoping to hear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: