October 10, 2026, 05:14:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hogs for dog feed..  (Read 6140 times)
fonzie
Alpha Dog
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 939



View Profile
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:04 pm »

Do any of y'all feed hogs to the dogs? If so do y'all feed it raw or cooked? I've also heard of processors making dog food out of them is it worth the money?
Logged
delta hunter
Hog Dog Pup
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 14


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:39 pm »

Never heard of that but i do remember when my pawpaw would feed our deer dogs the guts after we cleaned a deer. He was real old school and said it was good for them. Not sure if it was good or not but we did it everytime.
Logged
dan
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 261



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:23 pm »

It spoils and stinks fast, so feed as soon as you clean it or freeze it for later.  I feed any left over game meat and scraps to my dogs raw.   
Logged

Dan

"We are all on our way out...ACT ACCORDINGLY"
AnthonyB
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 262



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:38:18 am »

Feed mine raw scraps and sometimes I'll quarter one up and feed it that way. One of the guys I hunt for used to boil bones and all until it was a mash and that was their sole feed. Another buddy used to feed raw a lot, said it made the dogs meaner. I know there are different opinions about wether raw meat will make a dog meaner, but I will say this, any hog ever caught by his dogs that was around 100 pounds or less was guaranteed to be in pieces when you got there, literally.
Anthony
Logged

I hunt and breed FBMCBO,inc. dogs. (Weatherford's Ben)

TDHA BOD
sandyoakfarm
Catch Dog
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 187



View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:03:36 am »

We feed ours raw hog meat. Its good for them and I don't think it makes them meaner. We don't feed alot bit just left overs or dogs that got cut bad. Also feed it to em after they drop some pups. Seems to serve as a pick me up.
Logged

Vegetarian- old Indian word for lousy hunter
BA-IV
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 3570


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:08:46 am »

I feed my puppie any and all hog scraps especially whole hog heads.  It'll sure fatten a puppy up.

I'll give em the whole hide with the head attached and cut some of the better organs out and give to em. It serves no purpose except to fatten em up better then dog food alone.
Logged
Texashog26
Catch Dog
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 180



View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:19 am »

We feed all of our dogs raw hog meat. They love it. None of them have any more attitude then before, and half of them won't eat dog food anymore. Our cd is solid as a rock and throws his nose up at even the best dog food. He is on a hog meat only diet. My advice is it beats the price of dog food anytime. We still buy dog food but we are saving money by also feeding our dogs a good piece of the catch when its feasible.
Logged

It just ain't easy!!!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 3132


*Official WWT Scorer*


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:38 am »

I'll probably be the minority here, but, coming from the veterinary medical field for quite a few years, I've always been told pork in general is not 'good' for dogs. Granted it obviously isn't gonna kill them instantly or anything like that, but over time it's not good. I know we treated a few dogs over the years that got into pork that ended up with pancreatitis. There's also too many transmitable diseases that dogs can contract from hogs that I am not comfortable with. When I'm in the mood to feed my dogs raw, I go the chicken route. To each their own but I wouldn't do it, or condone it. Too many negatives. ONE time, one of our dogs snuck in and grabbed a piece of hog fat and took off with it while we were cleaning one. That daarn dog had funky poo and was spittin up funky green bile for weeks before he was right again.

Anyhow, in conclusion, I'd never feed my dogs pork of any kind. Of course, they'd be happy to eat any kind of meat I gave 'em, but they don't have the sense to know if it's good or bad for them.
Logged

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
halfbreed
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 4262


MR. Whitten


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »

 i was waiting on a negative to raw pork didn't wanna be the first   lol  . i have fed my dogs wild hog in the past but it was thouroghly cooked enough that even i would eat it . like said wild hogs are full of all sorts of critters that aren't any good for a dog  .
Logged

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3633


It's a good day to have a great day!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:45 pm »

Google Raw Diet. Its been around awhile, now there is some contoversy about pork being dirty but whats dirtier than green tripe? thats sold as non processed dog food as are many raw items look in petsmart, they trying to feed raw veggies mixed in though, lol
Logged

cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine
********
Offline Offline

Posts: 2352


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »

Hard freeze in deep freezer before I feed it.  The same for any wild meats.
Logged

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
**********
Offline Offline

Posts: 9508


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 07:42:19 pm »

Hard freeze in deep freezer before I feed it.  The same for any wild meats.

I have heard that one also...hard freeze a couple of days...

feeding pups raw hog heads and pig ears can only help a pup to know a hog is for food and needs to be caught...  Smiley
Logged

Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1630


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:09 pm »

I feed it in the winter. I use a weed burner to burn off all the hair and any bugs on the outside of the hog. Gut it, and feed all the organ meat first. I hang the field dressed hog over night when the temps are below freezing. The next morning I lower the hog so the dogs can reach it and turn some out and let them eat off the whole hog. I really like this for puppys and younger dogs, they really grow.
Logged

cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine
********
Offline Offline

Posts: 2352


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »

 feeding a dog wild meat isnt going to make it mean or go after that animal more. Letting them chew on a hog head or leg will get them use to the smell but feeding them hog meat isnt going to make them want to find a hog more then another dog.
Logged

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
AnthonyB
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 262



View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:52 pm »

Yea, like I said there are different opinions on it, my dogs have never gotten meaner when I fed them raw. Maybe he just has some mean a$$ dogs. Lol. My buddy doesn't feed raw much anymore and his dogs are still mean. Not as aggressive as the old dogs but still mean. Pretty sure it was just the dogs. Little back story as to how mean, he had three young gyps in a kennel, guy left a male dog there to kennel. He attacked one of the gyps in the yard. When he came back from work the next day the three dug into the kennel with the male. Lets just say there were a few pieces of fur on the ground and that was all we found. Oh, the three gyps were heavier than when he left that morning. So I doubt it was the raw meat that he was feeding that made them that way, they were just nuts. Lol
Anthony
Logged

I hunt and breed FBMCBO,inc. dogs. (Weatherford's Ben)

TDHA BOD
Reuben
Internet Hog Hunting Specialist
**********
Offline Offline

Posts: 9508


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:35 am »

feeding a dog wild meat isnt going to make it mean or go after that animal more. Letting them chew on a hog head or leg will get them use to the smell but feeding them hog meat isnt going to make them want to find a hog more then another dog.

I agree...

but...I believe that 6-8 week old pups that are given a raw pig head 2 or 3 different times to chew on...this conditioning will be beneficial to them when they start their training towards making hog dogs...but I also believe a hunting dog is born and not made...no amount of conditioning and training will make a hog dog if it is not in him to be one...JMO
Logged

Training dogs is not about quantity, it's more about timing, the right situations, and proper guidance...After that it's up to the dog...
A hunting dog is born not made...
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom
*********
Offline Offline

Posts: 3132


*Official WWT Scorer*


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 10:32:48 am »

I dunno BUTTTTTTT...................

we've got some real nice hog dogs here, even raised up from pups, that never chewed on no hog heads and they are doing purdy darn good.

Kibble and occasional raw chicken all the way over in these parts, lol.

But whatever works for whomever!
Logged

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Silverton Boar Dogs
Hog Master
*******
Offline Offline

Posts: 1630


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 02:21:45 pm »

I give my young pups heads to chew on. I believe that when done starting at around 12 weeks of age it helps program the brain for the intended quarry. That coupled with a small hog in a pen that they can bay from the outside for 1/2 a day a few times a week. These two things program the brain of the developing pup. I never really have any trash breaking to do and they are focused and looking for "hogs" on the first day in the field.
Logged

cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine
********
Offline Offline

Posts: 2352


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 02:37:38 pm »

I agree that letting pups chew on hogs allows for them to associate the smell with fun.
Logged

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
ED BARNES
Strike Dog
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 410


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:52 pm »

I FEED ALOT OF HOG MEAT, AFTER FREEZING. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. AND A HOG HEAD WILL MAKE A THIN DOG SLICK PRETTY FAST!
Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!