April 25, 2024, 12:00:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk hunting question  (Read 1382 times)
Skrag
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:18:25 pm »

This question is aimed at you guys that mainly walk hunt. How far do your dogs range in little or no sign?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:33:04 pm »

Mine are pups...so...they are evolving...but right now they range the same...sign or no. Usually short...out to 250-300 until they hit something that interest them (maybe something cold), then I've had them get out to 500-750 or so before coming back in. Once they hit something medium/hot they stay on it till they strike. I've had them strike (first bark) from 250 out to .86 or so....don't think I've had anything past that yet.

Like I said...they are still learning/evolving so I'm just learning them as well.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »

I try not to walk hunt as much as I used to... Because if my dogs don't find sign then they go find some. That's the only hole in them that they hardly come check in anymore just keep going till they find a hog. It makes for a loooong walk sometimes. But sometimes not.

If I walk hunt as much as I used to then I would like for my dogs to make loops about 500yds out, come check in, then roll out again

Seth Gillespie
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:03:02 pm »

I have some that range standing at the truck from 250 to 550 and i have some you better be ready to cut them off miles away or they will keep  going in no sign.

Proud TDHA Member!
sparkydog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »

I walk hunt that's pretty much all I do cause I can't afford a horse my dogs take up all my money but my dogs don't just take off soon as u let them out mine wind and they are hot track dogs if they get on a hot track they will go miles and normally when they wind one he's within 500yrds. I try to find fresh sign before I take off walking
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:58:06 pm »

When my redbones start singing they are bayed and you can hear them for miles.lol

Hell Hounds are loose!
sparkydog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:28:40 pm »

When my redbones start singing they are bayed and you can hear them for miles.lol
is your red bones silent on track
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »

I walk hunt that's pretty much all I do cause I can't afford a horse my dogs take up all my money but my dogs don't just take off soon as u let them out mine wind and they are hot track dogs if they get on a hot track they will go miles and normally when they wind one he's within 500yrds. I try to find fresh sign before I take off walking
where do you go?

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
m-town doggers
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:56 pm »

mine in no sign probably will keep going out about 500 yrds and if there is a hot track you aint gonna see them till you get to that bay
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 08:37:24 pm »

Ya they are till they are staring at it.

Hell Hounds are loose!
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:03 pm »

Not trying to jack your post but Short range dogs that hunt for sign at around 600 yards. And rough enough to stop alot of the runners. And maby one loose baying dog. That check in every once in awhile.with a lead in Cd.  Would this be a good start for walk hunting?

Mathews mission venture
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:29:27 pm »

i dont like to walk hunt the older i get. but if i do i prefer my old dog that will not hunt out to far from til he gets on a hog. then i might still have to walk 2 or 3 miles when he bays. i have dogs now that i can cast. i just set at truck or 4 wheeler til they get on one

Lets go we burning daylight
coon hunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:55 am »

Last time i walk hunted i had four young guys with me . I told them to bring the pitts they unloaded them . i hit the woods with my two dogs . I looked back seen them coming . I got a half in my dogs bayed a huge boar 120 yards from me i looked all over for the pitt guys . Nowhere to be seen . I called one of them they were back at the truck . I told them to get in here . I went to the bay watching the bay from ten yard away . He was a nice one . i waited ten minutes called them guys they hadnt left the truck . Asked me where i was . Then said i hear the dags . Talk about dumb asses where else would i be . Any way hog whipped my dogs and broke . Ran rite by the truck they didnt put any help dogs out . I was a mad s.o.b i walked two more miles chasing dogs . Cought one off track . Walked to a road and called a ranch hand to come pick me up . When i got to my truck the ass cussing happened . They dont hunt with me any more . Im 52 yrs old they were 16 to 28 .
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:54:12 am »

Yea nothin makes me madder than when I go hunting with some teenagers and I can out last them. They don't make them like they use to I guess. Kids are soft nowadays I guess Grin

Lets go we burning daylight
Demondoggers
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:57:00 am »

Y'all are hunting with the wrong teenagers then. I'll go with y'all after I graduate. Just name when and where.

Hell Hounds are loose!
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 08:45:12 am »

Ya take it easy on the teenagers man lol

Seth Gillespie
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:55 am »

Yea nothin makes me madder than when I go hunting with some teenagers and I can out last them. They don't make them like they use to I guess. Kids are soft nowadays I guess Grin
theres no walking in play station 3

from me.....who else. tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:23 am »

We walk hunt and atv hunt , my dogs seem to hunt closer when we are walking , I think it's because they can hear the atvs farther and venture out when hunting on them, they also seem to check in a little more on a walk hunt , it doesn't seem to matter once on one but mine hunt closer on foot and change a little also on how we pair them up
oklahoma hogger
Strike Dog

Spencer fisher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:55:37 am »

2-300 yards

~Change The Game~
Hamilton_hogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 07:21:43 pm »

if our dogs are outta sight for longe than 5 minutes there on a track i have a close
range dog that hunts 3to 500 and he is my ears when they get too far out..i dont have luxary of garmin when i hunt by myself

James long
795 CR 101
Hamilton TX 76531
(254)386-6415
!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: